Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. This morning, my lil' lady told me that she'd like to get me a backup camera for Christmas but had no idea where to start. Well... I really don't have anymore of a clue than she does, not yet anyway.

I haul trailers all the time. If I'm not hauling something substantial, I'm at least regularly hauling our "garbage trailer" to the local dump. Yes, I live in a rural area without garbage service and we take our own garbage to the county landfill. Every time I have to load up the trailer by myself (all the time) I end up jumping in and out of my rig at least 3 times before I get it right and finally can drop the hitch over the ball. When you're working on a prosthetic leg, that shit gets real old, real fast and I've been doing it like that for the last decade. Not to mention, jacking up my bumper and license plates in the process.

Obviously, there are a great many other uses for a backup camera but this would be my main use for one. It would be nice to have on those rare trips to the ORV park or running down the highway, being tailgated by a cell-phone drone so adjustable would be nice... but mainly just looking for something that will withstand the elements and hookup without having to re-wire my whole rig.

So I'm hoping some of you have experience with the aftermarket backup cams and might be able to give me a few good recommendations. Pro's / Con's, setups, where and how to mount one, etc. I was thinking of one of those that use the rear view, as I have no desire to pay for and install some double DIN setup in my '95 FSB. I know a lot of folks think those are cool and all... but I've got no interest in over-complicating my stereo setup, my dash or any of that.

Let's hear what you've got and if nobody has anything worth contributing (haven't read much on these around here) then I guess I'll be the guinea pig. As always... Thanks In Advance! 🍻

Reactions: cwegga

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,543 Posts
Pepe,

I wanted a rear view camera as well but didn't want the double din stereo either. I also did not want a stand alone camera system that added a screen in my cab. I opted for a single din stereo that had the motorized screen that comes in and out. This is my stereo below. One of the cool things I really liked about it was you can set the stereo lights to the same slime green color of the factory dash lights.

Apparently this model is no longer available but you can find something similar.

I use my camera a lot for hooking up trailers, works out well. The only beef I had about my camera setup was condensation got in to the camera housing and fogged up the lens. I was able to crack open the camera housing and use silicone sealer to fix the condensation issue.

Here is another Pioneer similar to mine...

·
36,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's some solid advice and I'm glad to hear it's working out for you. That stereo setup is way over anything I'd ask the lil' lady for, as I've already got a pretty considerable stereo system. I would never have sprung for it myself, but the p.o. did and I just enjoy it too much to take it out. This ones older, but it's got the same color match option, I dig that too.

I can see where the retractable nature of it would be a bonus. Out of curiosity, do you have to extend the flip screen to use the stereo or just some functions?

Is there a rear view mirror option that can be a normal mirror some of the time and a backup cam screen when needed? I know. I don't ask for much, right? ;)

Side Note: For anyone else stumbling across the thread... I did save a link someone dropped to a custom dash insert/mod for the 5th gens... if anyone was ever looking to drop the dough and go all in on double din, perma-screen. Can't remember who dropped it or any details but I ran across it scavenging through parts links the other night, looking for some other hard to find parts... Home | Obs Interiors

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was looking at getting one of these or something similar (they are all over Amazon) because my rig came to me without a rear view.

I wound up getting a custom console made for mine (there’s a thread somewhere on here about it, but it was Creature Comfort Consoles) I went the double din route there. They make some pretty Cool rear view deals though including some with a dash cam integrated into the rear view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
36,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a better unit than any others I was able to find. Appreciate it. That might end up being my "go to", as it fits all the needs I can think of, had a better view degree than most others I'm seeing in that price range and fits without adding anything to the interior. The display resolution is a little low... but for my needs, it should be fine. (y) 🍻

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,543 Posts
That's some solid advice and I'm glad to hear it's working out for you. That stereo setup is way over anything I'd ask the lil' lady for, as I've already got a pretty considerable stereo system. I would never have sprung for it myself, but the p.o. did and I just enjoy it too much to take it out. This ones older, but it's got the same color match option, I dig that too.

Out of curiosity, do you have to extend the flip screen to use the stereo or just some functions?
It is not necessary to have the screen flipped out to use the stereo. You can set your stereo to your selected music option and then "put the screen away". To change most options you need to pop the screen back out. If you have it set on the radio option, you can change the channel with the screen in the closed position.

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Registered
283 Posts
Pepe, is there a thread on what you did with that rack in the back? Looks like 3/4" black pipe and floor flanges?

I've been thinking of either making a shelf of some sort or maybe just a cover to keep the stuff I have in the back away from prying eyes and prying UV... Thought of maybe making a plywood shelf that was hinged several ways to accordion up if I needed to put something tall. Also the pipe should in theory unscrew if you needed to break it down temporarily right?

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
36,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was put together by the previous owner and he did a solid job but the legs on this are welded on. I'm sure you could build one like you're thinking but you'd need some harder to find, 3 way pipe joints. 2 for the rearmost corners, 2 inset straight ones for the supports between the wheel-wells and 2 90 deg. for those corners. Mines an L channel square with 3 metal straps welded across the width, to seat a piece of particle board inside, with a glued down rubber mat for the surface. The legs are as you described, but are welded to the bottom of the L channel. The pipe insulation around the platform hides the upper frame work and minimizes wear on the interior panels and keeps it quite with a snug fit. It's sturdy enough to support me, easily and I often load 5 full, 7 gal. propane tanks up on it. It's stout as hell. I have a tool bag, spare jugs, a box of tow straps, ratchet straps and other misc. "emergency" stuff stored safely hidden underneath it, along with the boosted stereo box... so I've never removed it. The dog loves it (she's small) and if I have regular sized stuff to move (moving boxes, packages, groceries, etc.) I pull my "road supplies" out in advance and it doubles my rear end carry capacity. I honestly couldn't recommend something similar, enough. I do have a golf cart trailer though... so loads that others would need to use the interior for, I load up on the golf trailer... like a really low, tilt truck bed.

This was from me working on the tailgate and you can see how much storage space I get out of it.

Here's a link to a supermotors group of pics I took when I bought it: 1995 Ford Bronco TRUNK_SHELF pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

[/END HIJACK]

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,208 Posts
I'm sure you could build one like you're thinking but you'd need some harder to find, 3 way pipe joints. 2 for the rearmost corners, 2 inset straight ones for the supports between the wheel-wells and 2 90 deg. for those corners.
Sounds like he's looking for some "side outlet tees" & "side outlet elbows".

You can take the boy outta the hardware store, but...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Must build...

Of course now that I see how yours is built I can't decide if I'd rather it be "easy" to disassemble or if i want to use the angle and weld it up like that... It is rare I ever need to haul stuff that wouldn't fit under it and the shelf would be good for "grocery getting"

Could also mount a remote antenna tuner and my HF radio to the under side of the shelf to keep it outta the way and use the remote head to get the thing up to the dash... Oh the possibilities...

Anyone priced osb lately by the way?? Wtaf!

·
36,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Price of everything has gone stupid since the china flu lockdown BS.

Personally... I love the way it's setup but as noted, I do have a trailer to use when needed. If you take your top off... it wouldn't be hard to get out that way (it's not very heavy) but I've never even tried to slide it out the rear gate. It's too handy and protects the speaker box from everything.

The only real issues I'd be concerned about it with a pipe fit, break-down-able frame would be that the OBS wouldn't be sitting flush in a frame, but rather sitting on top and not as stable... due to uneven surface where corner join ends would stick up. That could be resolved with strategic holes but that comes with it's own issues and I'm totally spit-balling... as that's not what I have.

If you can weld or have easy/affordable access to someone who does, I'd recommend going the same way mine is... as long as you don't have regular hauling needs that could make you regret it.

·
36,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now... does anyone have any other input, experience or recommendations on the backup cam?

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
731 Posts
I would check with your local audio shop. On my Chevy years ago, I added one that was a license plate holder and replaced my rear view with one that had a small screen built in.

·
36,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Living in a small, rural town area... I have no local audio shop. The one referenced by @ddickenson above is pretty much the same as you describe and it looks like the only considerable wiring challenge will be getting power to the rear view w/screen. (y)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Only other thing i could say is I'm about to replace my original backup cam with one that has IR illuminators and a photo cell. In theory it should work in "night vision" mode as well then. My current will work but only as much as the reverse lights will illuminate after dark.

·
36,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IR illuminators and photo cell? Sounds fancy.

I such a hermit/hick.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,689 Posts
I was looking at getting one of these or something similar (they are all over Amazon) because my rig came to me without a rear view.

I like this idea because when it comes to the interior of a vehicle, less is more. Ive been thinking about getting one of these for my F250, would help a lot since im always hitching the trailer up solo. Pepe, you need to get one and be the guinea pig for me :p

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
731 Posts

This seems to have great reviews and is on sale today

·
36,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I found that unit... but no special price. Still cheaper than the other one I was considering though.

Key differences are... the Tailgaters model comes with a system integrated new rear view mirror, where the ToGuard slips around the oem mirror. I have concerns about wrapping around the old mirror... as our old rigs are just glued to the windshield, unlike a lot of newer cars who's rear views are mounted into the up/center console, being more secure and able to handle extra weight without concern of the old style mirror mounting puck, popping off the windshield glass. I lost count of how many of those I've had to re-glue/re-mount over the years. ToGuard appears to have a much better rear camera and resolution though. I'm also not a prime member and try to avoid Amazon when I can but I'm weird like that.

Hmmm... do you have any experience with that model or is it just something you looked up for me? If so... I do appreciate the effort. If not... tell me more. ;)

@reptillikus - I'll be sure to document whichever way I end up going. Modernizing our rigs for convenience will only get to be more and more important over the years. Bearing in mind... my main focus is the backup for trailer loading, not recording for insurance, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all. I tried several before settling on this one
product image
DoHonest Digital Wireless Backup Camera Kit with 7 Inch HD 1080P Monitor Stable Digital Signal Rear View Camera for Cars Pickups Trucks Campers - V29
It was reasonably priced and extremely easy to install. I hooked the power into one of the reverse lights. It still is plugged into the power socket in the dash and the screen fit nicely on the floorboard in the center. It turns on instantly when I put it in reverse. The picture clear. No complaints at all. It’s been in my 95 EB for several months and I drive it several days a week. Good luck!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts