Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new gun - particularly a Glock 27. I have a friend who is selling his - but he does not have a price. He gave me the gun yesterday to go shoot and take apart and make him a reasonable offer.

The gun has 3 magazines with pearce extenders. I have not shot it yet; and am currently at work so cannot post pics today. I BELIEVE it is an "older" Glock - it has the smaller box that is not hinged - with the post in the center for the trigger guard to rest on. It was a carry gun and it looks like a carry gun (has a few scratches, holster wear, etc).

The guy [friend] says he has not carried it in about three years and has been in a drawer for that time (I believe it as it doesn't look as though it has been cleaned in that amount of time). I plan to go shoot the gun this weekend, but want to give it a good cleaning before I go shoot it. I plan to clean and oil it just as I would my Springfield XD (as they are similar guns). Do any of you have recommendations as to things I should clean/focus on since the gun has been sitting for that long?

My questions:

Price suggestions? I am thinking in the $350 range - probably on the higher side

Other suggestions of things to look at, etc?

Cleaning suggestions for Glock?

Thanks!
Bill

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Don't oil it much. You only need a quarter drop on each slide rail.

If you get it, get Peter Alan Kasler's book "Glock: The New Wave in Combat Handguns". It'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about maintenance and how it works.

Really, I wouldn't worry much about cleaning it at all. It'll run just fine. I've personally seen a Glock 17 with over 90,000+ rounds through it with no cleaning at all more than wiping off the feed ramp with the tip of a finger occasionally.

They're still $500 new.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Parts

Glocks only have about 34 parts, http://atlantisarms.com/History/Glock Factory Parts History.htm . If you do want it really clean you can take it to a Glcok Armor and they can strip it down and do a sonic cleaning on it. Otherwise you can just strip it down to the 4 basic parts and clean it really good with a tooth brush and some cleaning oil. Make sure you don't leave any extra oil on it or in it as it will collect dirt. As far as price you can get a new G27 for $400 to $450 so a used one should go for about $300.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as price you can get a new G27 for $400 to $450 so a used one should go for about $300.
So do you think 350 with the three mags would be appropriate?

I do not want to screw the seller - but I don't want to screw myself either.

Bill

·
Registered
447 Posts
$300 would be tops. You can buy them all day at gun shows N.I.B. for around $425 or check out gunbroker.com. That is an online site that will give you an idea of what you can buy them for. Be aware that you would have to pay shipping to an FFL plus the transfer fees. Whatever price you see online add about $60 bucks to that for shipping and transfer fees.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I have a G27, it's my backup and off duty weapon . I love it.. Well over 2k rounds through it and not one hiccup.

I only field strip mine after each range use and use very little oil and good ammo. I spent $400 with a LEO discount so the price you are aimming for is good

I use the GAP floor plate as well and it conceals great either IWB, ankle or deep in a jacket pocket

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips and links - that is exactly what I have been needing to know.

I knew to not oil it too much from my XD.

Any other ideas on price would be great - otherwise, I'll offer 325, I think.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I have a friend selling a g26 , same age as the one you are trying out and about the same condition as you describe. He's asking $300.. I think your offer of $325 is more than fair.. Now buy it and shoot the piss out of it!

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
i've seen where someone took a glock, locked the slide open and dropped it in a bucket of solvent to clean it
i think it was called dunk kit or something like that

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We shot it yesterday - it shot pretty well. But believe it or not, we had a few FTFs. They were not results of limp wristing - as the bullet did not go up the feed ramp - I am going to try a different type of bullet and see if we have the same problems.

I was pretty pleased with it and if I can get it for $300-$325, I think we will go for it.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
We shot it yesterday - it shot pretty well. But believe it or not, we had a few FTFs. They were not results of limp wristing - as the bullet did not go up the feed ramp - I am going to try a different type of bullet and see if we have the same problems.

I was pretty pleased with it and if I can get it for $300-$325, I think we will go for it.

9 times out of 10 , it's been sitting forever and its dirty man..

I always Winchester white box ammo through mine and I have NEVER had a FTF or FTE, ever..

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
The bullet not going up the feed ramp certainly can be due to limp-wristing.

What profile were you shooting?

·
Registered
447 Posts
FTF/FTE

I have owned two Glocks and never had a problem with either one as far as FTF or FTE. They were both G-21's. Sold the first one because it was too big for my hands. Bought a G-21 slim frame but I have the same problem with it, my small hands. Guess I am fated to be a Colt man forever.
You might take it to a Glock armorer and have him check it out for you. Couldn't cost that much to have a guy take a look see at it.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
I always Winchester white box ammo
:stupid:
i was thinking this
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/dunkkitart2.shtml

what ammo were you using? not that cheap ass cci blazer shit?

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know that it could have been due to limp wristing - but I don't think it was. Not for all three of us to do it.

We were shooting some cheap reload crap that I had sitting around with a lead blunt bullet - I really think that was the problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts