Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it was talked over and over. I read it all...

But I want to read it again :D

Our Bronco has stock looking cat and then a straight pipe. No muffler. It is pretty loud. Loud enough to give me hangover-like feeling after 3h+ driving. And since I hate loud exhausts on other people's vehicles, I certainly want to deal with mine.

As I am going to do some serious towing with it, I seriously think about getting rid of the cat as it is. It's clean buring engine anyways and no emission tests in WI. The goal is to get the exhaust not restrictive, but quiet at the same time.

What are my choices with little $$ to spend?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MikE2 said:
One of the best mufflers I have found if you want a quiet system is the Dynomax RV mufflers.

Give me a minute and I'll get a link
Thanks.

Any idea if I should leave the cat as it is? It's probably the stock one and 130K old :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MikE2 said:
Leave the cat alone unless its plugged up. It wil help quiet it down too.
1. As I am Bronco noob, does my Bronco have 2.5" inlet and outlet muffler diameter?
2. How can I make sure it will fit the Bronco? (I understand that the one You linked is the right one, but what if I go different way).
3. How can I tell if my cat is plugged or not?
4. Is there anything on the market combining cat and muffler into one free-flowing (but also quieting) device? :D

And finally, any idea how quiet that Dynomax muffler is comparing to Flowmasters, Magnaflows, Borlas and stock stuff?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I don't know what size pipe you have. I'm not even sure if thats the right muffler, I was just showing a picture of one of the quietest I have seen. You will want to measure your pipe and see what size it is, and measure for how much room you have for the muffler because you can get them in monger and shorter lengths. You can even get that one in a round case or an oval case.

Heres Dynomax's site
http://www.dynomax.com/products/st-p-rollover.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for help. I will get it measured, check out the cat and go from there.

Is single/dual exit and it's size only cosmetical?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I got it measured and pictured :D

All the pipes in the exhaust are 2.5". From the exhaust manifold, there are 2 pipes with O2s coming to the Y pipe, cat, then pipe with O2 (pretty far from the cat) and single pipe all up to the tip.

It looks that the place the muffler was measures about 22" (from the O2 to the turn). Hanger would probably have to be modified to adapt a muffler.

I also wonder, how adding a muffler would impact a gas milleage. So far it seems to be unbeliveably good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
351 said:
Quiet Bronco? That's sinful. :D
It's giving me a headache so it IS too loud :D

I really want it to be quietest possible within my tight budget...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did you say you have an afrt-cat O2. leave the cat or replace it. The engine may not run right withought it (a result of the computer). I could be wrong, but at the least youll get a check engine light all the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, You can clearly see O2 behind a cat. It's pretty far from it so it leaves about 22" space for the future muffler.

Now I am trying to find one that will fit :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, local muffler shop will charge me $35-$50 to put it in and they want just 2" on both sides on muffler, so it leaves me 25" for body of the muffler.

And the winner is...

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Can't you find a universal muffler at an auto parts store for ~$20? I had a factory-style muffler on mine with the stock Y-pipe and tailpipe, and honestly you didn't know it was running; the only noise was from the tires when going down the road. :thumbup

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for advice, everyone!

I have pretty much decided on 24" SS MagnaFlow. About $80 shipped. I will probably get it welded in local muffler shop for another $35.

The only thing that bothers me is stretch of pipe rubbing against the frame - probably result of replacing a stock center inlet/offset outlet muffler with straight pipe and thus, moving it closer to the frame. I have to figure out if there is a way to move it back so I could order CI/CO muffler...

I wish I had the $$ to feel the difference in HP and torque after putting shorty headers, 3" freeflow cat and 3" muffler :rockon

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
On a 1996, you either have to replace the catalytic converter(s) with another cat, or you can buy O2 sensor eliminators for hte rear. They're dummy sensors which just confirm the cat's are doing their job.

·
Harmful if swallowed
2,115 Posts
CVTom said:
Thanks for advice, everyone!

I have pretty much decided on 24" SS MagnaFlow. About $80 shipped. I will probably get it welded in local muffler shop for another $35.

The only thing that bothers me is stretch of pipe rubbing against the frame - probably result of replacing a stock center inlet/offset outlet muffler with straight pipe and thus, moving it closer to the frame. I have to figure out if there is a way to move it back so I could order CI/CO muffler...

I wish I had the $$ to feel the difference in HP and torque after putting shorty headers, 3" freeflow cat and 3" muffler :rockon
My magnaflow is louder than my dynomax was

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are we talking about same Magnaflow and Dynomax (Super Turbo)?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE%2D12276&N=4294923429+4294922711+4294922710+4294791975+4294791974+4294906122+4294783419+115&autoview=sku"]http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE%2D12276&N=4294923429+4294922711+4294922710+4294791975+4294791974+4294906122+4294783419+115&autoview=sku

On the other hand, it seems to be less restrictive (straight through) than Dynomax (S shape). Listening to the sound clips, I found them pretty similar. Magnaflow is SS and should last longer, IMHO.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
CV Tom

I agree with the sound advice everyone's been giving you; keep the cat, keep a tailpipe but why not get a stock style universal truck muffler ?

I got mine for @ $40 American and it fit great and keeps things pretty quiet unless you really get on it;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=17333#content

If you puruse through the back of the Walker catalog they have universal truck mufflers there.

Also check out the Dynomax mandrel bent 2 1/2" tailpipe because you ARE going to bust that old one installing the next muffler. It's also @ $42.00 and fits very nicely.

Read the captions under the pics for part numbers. BTW if you only have one cat left then somebody must have axed your secons, rearmost cat, right ?

I ask because that particular muffler is extra long and might not fit with the second cat.

Sixlitre

1 - 20 of 24 Posts