Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My basement has a raised toilet. It sits about 4-5" above the floor. Anybody here know if this is only because a gravity flush toilet needs that height to flush properly. I want to change the toilet, but I would like to ditch the requirement of stepping up on to the platform either with a low profile bowl toilet or a type that doesn't need the extra height if that is why it's there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
couple of ideas popped into my head. 1st the plumbing was not laid out to flow out and they raised the toilet to get the slope. if you know where the elevation of the exit, you might be able to lower the toilet. what kind of plumbing to you have, pump system or gravity?

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gacknar said:
Is there a Macerater involved?
Is that another word for yams? I have no idea.

78 HULK said:
if you know where the elevation of the exit, you might be able to lower the toilet. what kind of plumbing to you have, pump system or gravity?
Gravity. I know of no pump in my house except my sump. Unfortunately I do not know the elevation of the exit. Most houses in this area of the county have the elevated basement toilets.

If I could find low bowl profile toilets I wouldn't be that concerned. I'm having trouble finding them though. "Low profile" in a search keeps pulling up low profile tanks.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Either way make sure you have it high enough so it will drain/flush and be sure there is a trap installed.That may be the reason for the platform.

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bronco Rob said:
why not build the floor up to meet the bottom of the toilert?
They didn't believe in decently high ceilings in basements when they built the houses here. The platform puts my head touching the joists even with it tilted.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Im gonna bet its because the plumbing runs under the raised floor instead of in the concrete. Peoples houses that were poured on a slab sometimes have this problem, especially when you move somethng around.

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
81Bronk36 said:
Im gonna bet its because the plumbing runs under the raised floor instead of in the concrete. Peoples houses that were poured on a slab sometimes have this problem, especially when you move somethng around.
Only the toilet is raised. The rest of the floor is the concrete slab. I would just guess that the system is not far enough down to have the toilet flush though.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Plumbing? Anyone can be a plumber. All you have to remember is shit runs down hill. I've seen a comercial about a product that might help you. I don't know if this site here was the company, but it did the same thing anyways.

·
Had a mullet in HS
1,084 Posts
  1. The sewer line is just under the concrete and the combination stuck up out of the floor making them raise it
  2. The wall is also furred out and the sewer line turns out above the finish floor slab, and the toilet was installed after the floor was poured and ties in above the slab
Pull the toilet and take the step appart to see whats under there

Don't be SKERT

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CasterTroy said:
Don't be SKERT
Just trying to be lazy. That and I didn't want to take apart a working toilet. However, the float no longer shuts the water off in the bowl, so there's no reason to not take it apart now.

Question is, once the toilet is off, do I need to cap the drain to keep anything from coming out until there is another toilet on it? (Fluids or odors)

·
Had a mullet in HS
1,084 Posts
Definatly

The trap is made into the toilet

Go to lowes and get a closet plug

They're about $5 and are thick rubber mounted to a large as hell metal washer and a wing nut. You can leave it in as long as needed

Or a 4" passifyer which requires a bicycle pump to expand. Either way, head to lowes and they'll know what you mean
If you were closer I'd just run out to the shop and get you what you need.....sorry

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess I'll be playing with a toilet this weekend. Thanks!

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ain't it pretty? Now if I wanted to replace the raise flange (do I need to?), how can I get it out of the wax sealed base just above the floor level? Can I just heat the wax and it will come lose, or is the wax just sealing a metal inside metal connection that could be seized?

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
The wax seal is a metal to porcelain (sp) connection protection. Wax seals are like 2 bucks. All it truly is is wax. I don't think i understand what you are asking either.

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm asking about the seal for the closet flange into the floor. I marked it in the photo. If I did replace it, I'm still not aware of if I can lower it. I did not plan on putting a regular gravity flush toilet in, but one of the newer style flushes. Either vacuum or siphon, can't remember the name.

EDIT: Took a look at Lowes. It's a siphon flush system I'm looking at getting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts