Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find some sort of steps or nerf bars, maybe even rock sliders. I have no body lift. I'm after something that bolts to the frame and gives me a step. I don't really want to use the floor boards or rockers. Is there something that exists out there? It's a 96

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,726 Posts
I have a pair of chrome tubes that bolt to the frame. No step portion on them though. I took em off my 85, but they'd fit on yours too. One end bolted to the frame and the other to the front mount of the rear leaf springs. They are sturdy. I'd say you could have em but shipping would be a killer from KS to NJ.

Can't remember the brand, but it's in the likes of smittybuilt, westin, go rhino etc.

Reactions: Dman94X

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,250 Posts
The only real problem with a frame mounted step/bar is that it doesn't really offer much "step". I had a nerf style on my old '89 and the only reason it offered any real advantage was because that Bronco had a 3" body lift. w/out body lift... the step comes out right under the body... where a panel mounted step actually sits down low enough to offer help getting in. Nerf bars offer little protection and are known for actually causing more damage when they get bent. Rocksliders have the same limitations as a nerf style but with greatly improved body panel protection.

There's lots of threads on here discussing the options and merits of each style and we have some Member Vendors who make different styles for sale.

I'm not a big fan of a panel mounted step either... but I'm pretty short and I have a prosthetic foot, so I'll probably end up going with one anyway, so I can actually use it as a step up, into the rig.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,726 Posts
I agree with Pepe, they aren't very good at being a step and I found that when wet, they were slippery and dangerous. I took them off because of this and i don't 'need' the step, and I didn't like the look of em.

I had the small Carr hoop steps on my 94, and my 96 f350 had the same thing but they are 'bully' brand and they have an extra bar that mounts on top of the door sill for extra support. It is wide enough that both mounting bolts go through it and sandwich the door sill inbetween the step and this 'extra' bar. Seems much sturdier than the Carr design.

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,250 Posts
I have a pair of chrome tubes that bolt to the frame. No step portion on them though. I took em off my 85, but they'd fit on yours too. One end bolted to the frame and the other to the front mount of the rear leaf springs. They are sturdy. I'd say you could have em but shipping would be a killer from KS to NJ.

Can't remember the brand, but it's in the likes of smittybuilt, westin, go rhino etc.

perfect shot for comparison of the nerf bar. BB's has no body lift, so it's too tight against the body.
mine with the 3" body lift... so you could at least get a whole foot on the thing. Better purchase for the foot but still, very inferior to the rock sliders.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not after the step so much as not rubbing the rocker when sliding out or getting in. Pre paint my rockers where all ruff and bare metal. So I was hoping for a preventitive measure. And maybe a step for the wife. I'll look into the rock sliders and see what I like better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a pair from LMCtruck.com a few years ago that might fit the bill for you. They came in black or chrome. They are called round side step bars. Bolts to the frame with existing holes. I really like them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wish I were closer BigBlue 94, I'd love to have a set of tubes like that on my '83

·
Addicted to Junk
12,726 Posts
Wish I were closer BigBlue 94, I'd love to have a set of tubes like that on my '83
Broken arrow is 4 hours away from me, closer than 99% of people on here. I get down to Toronto reservoir a few times a year. It's about half way between us, not far off US 75, North of Independence and Fredonia on the Verdegris river. I'd haul em down there some time if you wanted to meet me

·
Registered
95 Posts
Broken arrow is 4 hours away from me, closer than 99% of people on here. I get down to Toronto reservoir a few times a year. It's about half way between us, not far off US 75, North of Independence and Fredonia on the Verdegris river. I'd haul em down there some time if you wanted to meet me
That would be awesome! When's your next trip?

·
Addicted to Junk
12,726 Posts
That would be awesome! When's your next trip?
Can't say honestly, whenever it's not below freezing at night, so camping is bearable. I could send you a PM when I think I'm gonna go.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
139 Posts

Do you still have them? The Westin ones have been discontinued apparently.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,726 Posts
I do indeed. Just sitting on the side of my shop.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco Custom, 5.0L EFI AOD Manual Hubs
30 Posts
I have a set of Smitty Built nerf bars that bolt to the frame...

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
170 Posts

Hey BigBlue - I like those fender flares! I need some like that on my '89.
TB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts