Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting into getting a Bronco. I have a few questions for current owners. Do you recommend doing a 4 or 6 inch lift (33 or 35 inch tires). And also I have heard that Bronco's are squirly to drive when they are lifted. Any insight let me know

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the amount of lift you need depends on what you want to do with the truck. FWIW, you can run 35s with a 4" lift and 33s with no lift if you do it right. I will tell you this, though: I lifted mine 4", and now I wish I'd gone for 6". There are quite a few of us around here that are the same way.

Honestly, though, my recommendation would be to buy one first, then use whatever money you're able to save to fix things before you lift it. I mean, the newest Bronco you'll find is 14 years old -- some are 30. Things wear out, break, and just plain don't work like they should after that much time. Rather than spend all your money making it big, then being broke when something goes wrong, do it the other way around.

Broncos aren't naturally "squirrelly" when they're lifted. It's neglected parts that make them that way. Ball joints, TTB bushings, Radius Arm bushings, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, steering box, pitman arm, sway bars, and driveshafts all contribute to the way a truck feels before and after it's lifted. Any behavior that is a small annoyance at stock height will become a bigger problem -- possibly dangerous -- after a lift and bigger tires. As long as the parts I listed above are in good working order and not worn out, you shouldn't have a problem. Hence my reasoning that you should save money and fix things that have been neglected or broken before dropping money on a lift kit.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It depends on the year of Bronco. NavyNukes has an 80-86 Bronco and due to the generous wheel arches and slim bumper he can run 35's on a 4 inch lift with no problems like all the 80-86 guys. The 87-91 Trucks need the bumper trimmed at the lower corner about 2" but that's it, not noticeable. On my Truck the tires rubbed the bumper when I was turning and coming out of a driveway and such or when wheeling. Most guys can space them out with some washers but I was installing a custom Bumper Anyways so that took care of my problems.

The only thing that is going to make your Bronco handle poorly after lifting would be things like a worn Tie Rod or Draglink or Bad Ball Joints and Bushings. I bought new Ball Joints and Radius arm bushings when I lifted my truck figuring I'd change them anyways but only needed the Radius Arm Bushings since my Ball Joints were OEM style spicers and are super tight and in good shape.

With any brand lift kit you get try and work the extended radius arms into your budget. They allow the TTB to articulate better contributing to better axle compression and droop and really smooth out the ride.
SkyJacker, Rancho and BDS/Dick Cepek (same manufacturers just a diff. coat of paint) offer kits with the nicest radius arms and the BDS brackets install easiest but the Rancho and Skyjacker brackets seem to be the beefiest.
The Rancho Coils have a very stiff spring rate but I feel they offer a great ride on the street and can stand up to some better abuse on the trail but thats my preference. Only bad thing I've heard of a manufactures coils were that Rough Country tend to sag after time (quicker than most).
If ordering a kit new ask them to knock off a few bucks and not buy the shocks they supply because the Bilstein 5100 series shocks for our trucks are the cream of the crop when it comes to standard non reservoir shocks ( technically emulsion shocks is the term) and are worth every penny.

I went with a used Rancho kit with the extended Radius arms and picked up a set of Reservoir shocks and an Add-A-Leaf for the back and I run a BFG Mud terrain in a 35x12.5 and the combo works out fantastic.

Heres a pic of my truck to give you an Idea of a 4inch lift with 35's

Pic of Rancho brackets, compare them to Superlifts or Rough Country's

·
Registered
710 Posts
That depends on quite a bit. usually you'll get from 12-15 mpg out of them. Some folks are getting 8-10 with heavy mods and poor driving style. If you get a manual transmission bronco and really baby the throttle you can get 17 or better depending on how you drive and what kind of shape it's in. Tires matter alot here, as well as lifts and gearing. Generally any lifting or oversizing of tires even with proper gearing will hurt your mileage just because the truck is higher and offering more wind resistance.

Mud tires don't roll as well as street tires, so there's that to consider. Bronco's get about average SUV mileage, but you can squeeze a little more MPG out of anything by driving it like grandpa.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts