Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello eveyone. running a 94 with a 4inlift on 35's now. got deeaver springs and bilstien shocks. gearing to 4.88's soon. i've been tossing around the idea of going to 37 in tires. dont want to do a sas or change to bigger rear. anyone do this? what wheel size you run? how does the steering hold up? yes i do whell this it aint a show truck, i dont know how hard i wheel it...i like to think i beat it up but i've been wrong before lol. thanks in advance and please remember what momma said....if you have nothing nice to say dont say it at all lol.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
I would like to see a tire hitting a firewall...I'm calling shenanigans on that.

37's with stock driveline will work for a while, but eventually you will have problems depending on how you use your truck. If you take it offroad, expect breakage. If you drive it a lot on the street, expect worn steering parts/balljoints quickly. The 8.8 has decently strong axleshafts so I wouldn't expect them to break unless you drive like an idiot offroad with lockers.
The spider gears are tiny, and they have a lot of torque on them when turning...the sharper you turn the more torque there is. The more throttle you give, the more torque. With the added traction of the larger tires, that adds a great deal of stress to the tiny spider gears and they will eventually slip and chew themselves up.

I ran 37s with 15 inch tires, and steering components lasted about 10k miles, and my rear end lasted about 15k. As far as hitting the fenders, some trimming was all it took.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice all. think i'll stick with what i know. used to the 35's and the truck seems content with them. thanks again all

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I would like to see a tire hitting a firewall...I'm calling shenanigans on that.

37's with stock driveline will work for a while, but eventually you will have problems depending on how you use your truck. If you take it offroad, expect breakage. If you drive it a lot on the street, expect worn steering parts/balljoints quickly. The 8.8 has decently strong axleshafts so I wouldn't expect them to break unless you drive like an idiot offroad with lockers.
The spider gears are tiny, and they have a lot of torque on them when turning...the sharper you turn the more torque there is. The more throttle you give, the more torque. With the added traction of the larger tires, that adds a great deal of stress to the tiny spider gears and they will eventually slip and chew themselves up.

I ran 37s with 15 inch tires, and steering components lasted about 10k miles, and my rear end lasted about 15k. As far as hitting the fenders, some trimming was all it took.
My truck has a 4" lift, same as the op's, and under full compression, my 35's rub the firewall slightly. (enough to rub the paint off, and polish the steel. i bent over and smashed down the seams so it wouldn't cut the tire) I can take some pics of the places where it contacts if you don't believe me... then again i may be a bit of an extreme example.. here's some pictures taken at the time when rubbing happens (landing).. they dont show the rub but show full compression at the least. (click the thumbnails for bigger pics)

in the air...

landing, just after.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks jumping a truck like that without at least a helmet on is a little unsafe? I must be getting old and crotchety.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I run 38's with a 6" lift and cut out flares. Been running them on two differnt Broncos for over ten years. The only mod on the front is duel stablizers. Ball joints last about 80,000 miles. The only thing I bust is front outer u-joints now and then. Usally when towing someone else out. But I have lockers in both ends. I have quite a few mods to the 8.8, the main one being the full float kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I run 38's with a 6" lift and cut out flares. Been running them on two differnt Broncos for over ten years. The only mod on the front is duel stablizers. Ball joints last about 80,000 miles. The only thing I bust is front outer u-joints now and then. Usally when towing someone else out. But I have lockers in both ends. I have quite a few mods to the 8.8, the main one being the full float kit.
is ur front axle stock or u did a sas?

·
Registered
55 Posts
ok luke duke i was going to ask if you were running a race suspension to be jumping like that. but then i looked at you pictures on your photo bucket album and relized that your an idiot! your are running cheap off road equipment to be beating on your truck like that. got just a few words for you King Coilovers and you may want to look in to a severly beefed up set of radius arms and traction beams becaus even the new shit you put on aint going to hold up if you keep doing that.

·
B350 built at THE SHOP
2,144 Posts
My truck has a 4" lift, same as the op's, and under full compression, my 35's rub the firewall slightly. (enough to rub the paint off, and polish the steel. i bent over and smashed down the seams so it wouldn't cut the tire) I can take some pics of the places where it contacts if you don't believe me... then again i may be a bit of an extreme example.. here's some pictures taken at the time when rubbing happens (landing).. they dont show the rub but show full compression at the least. (click the thumbnails for bigger pics)

in the air...

landing, just after.

That's pretty insane :thumbup you're a madman for sure...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts