Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i found this nice lookin engine on the trail where i wheel
well it looks pretty decent but the oil pan is gone and it was put there
pretty recent cuz there is still some oil driping out of it.

how would i tell what size it is? i wanna know if it would be worth it to pick it up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
BadassBronco said:
pick it up anyways, at minimum dispose of it properly.
Yep...

Also look's like a big block ford 390 or so..Could be anything though...

·
Only the Bronco
978 Posts
302/351w, look at the way that the engine mounts bolt to the block, I'd say early 70's, the heads are a fairly good head, 67 cc combustion chamber, screw in rocker studs, possibly it looks to be a 302

·
Registered
95 Posts
i_alone said:
302/351w, look at the way that the engine mounts bolt to the block, I'd say early 70's, the heads are a fairly good head, 67 cc combustion chamber, screw in rocker studs, possibly it looks to be a 302
I would say you are alot closer than me:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like the ahh 1 chrome 1 not valve cover look i think that was a rage in mexico for awhile..

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea we are gonna go get it tomorrow. i just need a place to put it so i can take it apart :toothless
maybe i can figure out what it is when i get it where i can fiddle with it :shrug

·
Only the Bronco
978 Posts
yeah it is a 302, I can see the thermostat cover is angled, whic means that it is a 302, and the lack of makrings on the block also tell me so, the 351's have a diamond shape cast into the side of the block, and from what I can see there is no diamonds cast in there

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
Cory look at the distributor hold down and the intake if they are within an 1/8 of being level its a 302, if its 1/2 up(the intake) its a 351. A way to tell the year is on the bottom near where the pan mounts on the pass side there will be a casting # like D9TE which is a 79(D9) engine(E) part from a truck(T)
60s is C
80s is E
That appears to be pre 80 because of the distributor so im guessing its a 77-79 302, thats horrible heads on there!!
Also its got a 2 barrel so thats why im thinkin its a 302

That front cover should have a casting # of 76, thats the year they started putting the dipstick in the front cover like that.

And it came out of a truck... pickup is in the back!

·
Only the Bronco
978 Posts
I'm not trying to say that you are wrong there 81Bronk36, but if it had a front dipstick, and a rear sump pan out of a truck, that woudn't work, becasue there is no front resivoir for the dipstick to pick up off of, now, if it was a fox chassis pan, with the dual sumps, now that would work, becasue of the mini front sump, and look at the outlet for the water pumo, trucks exit on the drivers side, and cars exit on the passengers side, at least they did on the older cars, I also know of older 351w that had a 2 bbl intake system, before the dreaded varible venturi, and what makes me think that it is more earlier 70's ist the fact of the one peice distributor cap, they went to electronic ignition in 75, when they went with the newer version of the 302/351

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
ahh good point I alone, didnt think of that sump thing, however it appears to have the dipstick in front and pickup in back??? Maybe it IS dual sump?? Weird Ive just been around my buddys 78 block, 75 front sump oil pan, 76 front cover, 66 289 heads so I thought this fit the bill as being a truck. About that one piece distributor cap, they used that all the way up till at least 77. Oh and my buddys 77 Mustang II new water pump exits on the drivers side. we will have to check his radiator...

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
regardless check the casting # on the block if its got a T in it it came out of a truck. The front sump pan I think is pretty rare for that time period cuz it has a casting # of D5ZE which tells me its off there aftermarket line.

That looks like an 11" flywheel BTW... making me think its from a truck. And its gonna be 28 OZ balanced regardless if its a 302 or 351.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I'm thinking the block is 351W and the heads look to have the rear running pipe for the thermactor smog pump hook up as you can see somebody has it smashed at the end and that means its probably more towards a mid to late 70's block or just the heads. Thats my .2 cents

1 - 20 of 58 Posts