Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this while crawling around under a house today... The Bomb Squad was nice enough to come pick it up for me....

In case your curious, it was an 81mm Motar. And it was still active.

It was hanging right under the bed of the home owners 4yr old granddaughter. The homeowner knew it was there but thought it was some kind of bug bomb. Said he thought it was for termites...Kinda makes you wonder what else is laying around in people's homes.-------

Where's BigMikeC when ya need'em?????

Just thought it was a strange find, Take care----_Fog

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
if that twine had broke, and the bomb had fallen, would it of gone off?????

That kinda stuff scares me, my house is older than dirt, i wonder whats under neath it

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Who knows for sure.... The fuse is still partially there but someone inserted a finishing nail into it to prevent it from firing... Most of the nail was rotted away. It was a late WWII to early Korean War model.. Most of the tail charge was still intact also. My understanding is that is the volatile part of the device.... If it had it probably would have leveled the house....

Owner thought it was for termites, When I advised him I was contacting the Bomb Squad he asked how much it was gonna cost him???? There's a set of priorities for ya... Owner stated he used to play under the house when he was little and he rembered it being there then.. Said his grandfather told him to leave it alone it was "termite Poisin"????

Fog

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,880 Posts
He was partially correct, it definately would have exterminated some termites.

·
Registered
213 Posts
hahaha... depends on if it would of gone off... most mortar rounds have an internal fuse that "activates" after it has traveled so far (help to prevent FF incidents) but that being said I have no idea if the older WW2/Korean shells had said safety feature.

Reminds me of the story about a guy I knew back when I was still in the Marines. He was an army dog that crossdecked over. His buddy found a 40mm AGL round that he thought was dormant. He used to walk around with it while tossing it in the air spinning it. Quick note... these Grenades took so many turns before they armed, guess what... after a few weeks apparently he spun it enough to cause it to arm (kinda unheard of since it does require a certain velocity in the turn to arm as well), but anyway. Long story short (too late) he tossed it to his buddy who missed it and it landed and went off. No fatalities as it was only a training round but still shredded the guys leg enough that he got out on a medical discharge.

Course this could be the good ol' military rumor mill but eh.. it's a good story nonetheless.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Storm, that story reminds me of the little "Gremlin" from the Bugs Bunny cartoons that used to take the big mallet and pound on the bombs in the bomb factory

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
Storm, that story reminds me of the little "Gremlin" from the Bugs Bunny cartoons that used to take the big mallet and pound on the bombs in the bomb factory
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: those were some off the best cartoons ever made.:rockon

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
RLKBOB said:
I partially agree, they were the best cartoons. Our kids don't know what they're missing.
I force mine to watch cartoon network...when they are playing the old ones...my son loves the old popeyes.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Is it bad that my first thought was tell no one, take it home, set it up a couple hunderd yards away and shoot it with a rifle?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Shells used in WWII and Korea more than likely had to be activated by hitting something on the fin. A good example of this is Saving Private Ryan. You just couldn't throw one without priming the fuse.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
We had this old guy that helped run out track team in HS, I dont really know why he was there, if he got paid or what but anyways during WWII he got hit in the leg with an 88mm howitzer round (if the story serves me right on the location of wound.) He tried to always be #88 in any race he was in, and had like 30 #88 bibs on the wall in his office.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
50Gunner said:
Shells used in WWII and Korea more than likely had to be activated by hitting something on the fin. A good example of this is Saving Private Ryan. You just couldn't throw one without priming the fuse.
tell ya what...you go play with that bomb and let us know!!!:goodfinge j/k

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Cool story Fog, should've put it in a bucket of gas and shot at it with roman candles.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Now that guy has some serious respect for his grandfather. All these years and he never touched it.:twotu:

How many kids these days do you that wouldn't have grabbed all his friends and crawled under the house just to check it out and mess with it? Gramps would be toast.:toothless

1 - 20 of 36 Posts