Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been tring to chase down a vibration while un acceleration. did the u-joint thing replacement help. Been seeing many articles on loose pinion nut. Ok great where is this pinion nut located <Any Pics. Do I have to remove the differential cover off the axle? What do I look for any pics of the procedure would be very insightful.:banghead

·
F*ck 'em all
2,420 Posts
Been tring to chase down a vibration while un acceleration. did the u-joint thing replacement help. Been seeing many articles on loose pinion nut. Ok great where is this pinion nut located <Any Pics. Do I have to remove the differential cover off the axle? What do I look for any pics of the procedure would be very insightful.:banghead
umm, its located on the pinion.... at the front of the differential

edit: and if it was loose, I would think that you'd have more problems than a vibration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
try to locate

I guess i know what your talking about do I have to drop the driveshaft

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
the pinion nut holds the yoke, pinion, and pinion bearings all together on the axle housing. If the nut is loose then your differential gears and bearings are probably shot. Unless its just slightly loose

but i don't think that would cause a vibration really. theres no left to right movement on the yoke or pinion.

·
F*ck 'em all
2,420 Posts
I guess i know what your talking about do I have to drop the driveshaft
yeah....

ok look, I'm not trying to be a jerk but if you have to ask all this, you have no business jacking with the pinion anyway.

If you move that nut too much, you change the way that the ring and pinion mesh together, causing a ton more, expensive problems.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mine somehow backed off a tad awhile ago. You could feel some play in the drive shaft but it felt totally different than a worn out u joint, and i don't remember there being any weird vibrations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nut

It's not dumb, it's you guys posting this that lead me to believe it's a possible cause of my vibration.
I don't Think it was the problem, though. I think it's in the tourqe converter. I found out if I click off the AOD while it's occuring the the studdering goes away.
So next thing i'll try is servicing transmission and draining converter.
i do appreciate those who replied.:thumbup

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
The OD cancel button has no effect on the torque converter except during gear changes. That just merely locks you out of 4th gear.

If you're getting TC shudder during lockup, it'll happen in third as well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
JUst a thought but check to make sure you dont have mud clumped and dried to the shaft, I had that and spent alot of time and money only to crawl under and see mud clumped to the weight in the driveshaft.

·
0 Posts
funny,

I have the same vibration and plan to check the pinion nut in the morning.

ONLY under throttle do i get a vibration sound, coast it goes away.

and this aint the first time i have heard this mentioned on here.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Mine was opposite the other day. Major vibration while cost or off-throttle. NO vibration on the throttle. The four bolts holding the driveshaft to the transfer case output flange were finger tight. The driveshaft has not been touched in 50,000 miles, and suddenly they are loose? All fixed and vibration was gone. Something to check anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts