Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking underneath to see what was happening with the steering. I took this video and noticed the steering box moved a little on the frame when turning the steering wheel. View this video full length top and bottom so you can see the gear box move . Let me know if this can cause the looseness of my steering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
I'm sure it could..have you checked for cracks in the frame by the steering box? If I recall there were some years that were more prone to it.

·
Super Moderator
25,359 Posts
Yo grovermyson,
I can't view any videos on my old tablet, so;

Steering Box Frame Crack Repair
Source: by Ford

"Steering Box Frame Crack
The following areas of the frame should be checked before performing a steering gear frame liner repair: the frame rail near the steering gear top and bottom flanges, and the frame rail at the steering gear bolt heads. If there are cracks in these areas of the frame, the frame must be replaced. Inspect the mounting surface of the steering gear for signs of motion, loose rivets or cracks. Removal of the steering gear may be necessary to check for cracks in the frame liner. If the frame liner is cracked or has loose rivets, repair the liner by using Frame Repair Kit E6TZ-5K130-A. If necessary a steering gear liner to frame, rivet repair can be made by using the procedures described in the illustration.

Rivet Removal and Replacement
1. Drill a 1/8-inch hole through rivet.
2. Redrill the hole through the shank of the rivet with an 11/32-inch drill.
3. Use an air chisel to remove rivet head.
4. Drive out rivet with a punch or other suitable tool.
5. Line drill one 7/16-inch hole marked "V" to 9/16-inch diameter.
6. Install one 9/16-inch bolt in the direction shown in the first illustration.
7. Position bolt head on top (next to crossmember) with hex head flat to the rear to provide best clamping.
8. Install one 9/16-inch washer nut side only and one 9/16-inch nut. Tighten to 190 N-m (140 ft-lb).
NOTE: Tack weld the nut to the bolt as shown in the second illustration."

Also, How to repair a frame crack on a Bullnose truck @ Frame

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,029 Posts
I'm not sure what symptoms a loose box would cause, but it'd definitely do something. 78/79's can definitely get cracks. My 78 had a few hairline cracks around the mounting holes. I had a shop weld the cracks and weld a plate over that section as well to strengthen it.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI....all the bolts attaching the steering gearbox to the frame were loose! What the hell is wrong with me...important to go through and recheck and recheck...

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
564 Posts
well, can happen.
good no problem to solve!!!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
FYI....all the bolts attaching the steering gearbox to the frame were loose! What the hell is wrong with me...important to go through and recheck and recheck...

always nice when it's something simple.

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s what I thought. You very rarely get a simple solution in the world of older Broncos

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yeah, those bolts have a tendency to loosen up especially if you wheel your Bronco and have larger tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts