Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, did tons and tons of searching. Problem is I get about 1/4 play in the steering wheel.

replacing the steering box helped tremendously. I just "assumed" the rest of my play was tie rods, etc.

However, tonight, on a whim, I went outside and grabbed the shaft from under the hood up towards the top of the shaft. I had the key in the on position so the steering wheel could move.

What I found baffled me. Def all the play is in the shaft, but it's NOT in the rag joint. See what's weird, the shaft is two diameters. It's much thicker closer to the firewall, then goes into a thinner shaft that ends in the rag joint.

It's where the thicker and thinner part of the shaft meet. The thicker one is just sliding around the thinner part of the shaft with nearly an inch play. There is no bolt to snug these two up.

what gives???? I've never seen something like this before. Does the shaft with the rag joint slide into the steering column shaft? WHich part is worn, and how to fix without the Flaming river solution??

thanks all!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
steveG said:
I vote for replacement.

agreed. I went to napaonline.com and autozone, and couldn't find a "steering shaft"

I went to summitracing and found no shortage of $220 solid steering shafts.

These units are two piece obviously, the rag joint and shaft, and the upper shaft.

anyone link me to an oem replacement shaft? maybe I'm not using the right termonology.

I'd love to by a damn flaming river shaft, but really can't justify the expense :(

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I have the exact same problem on my '95 Mustang. There was a plastic piece in between the two pieces that acted like a spacer, but allowed the shaft to collapse in the event of an accident. I still haven't been able to locate anything other than the Borgeson shaft. Long story short, search for a Borgeson steering shaft replacement.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Blue'87GT said:
I have the exact same problem on my '95 Mustang. There was a plastic piece in between the two pieces that acted like a spacer, but allowed the shaft to collapse in the event of an accident. I still haven't been able to locate anything other than the Borgeson shaft. Long story short, search for a Borgeson steering shaft replacement.

For your 95 Mustang stering shaft issue - here is exactly what you need to do:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=753082

In short, you want to purchase a 2003/04 Cobra steering shaft - it was redesigned by Ford and is a MUCH BETTER unit than the previous 94-2002 stering shafts. The price can't be beat (go to the thread, as you will find all the info you need on price, where to buy, how to swap, etc).

Simple 30 minute fix. The difference in steering feel is definitely noticeable and an improvement over the old design.

~~~~~~~~~~

Now for the Broncos - I think the steering shaft was also improved or redesigned after 1991 - someone correct me if I am wrong, but to me, the later steering shafts (92-96) seem to be beefier and better designed than the "older" Bronco steering shafts.

For those experiencing "slop" in the steering shaft, I'd check online on eBay, or at your local Ford dealer and see what the cost is for another stock OEM steering shaft, but one from a later model Bronco.

There may be other design differences with the actual steering column or how that intermdeiate steering shaft connects to the steering column.

~~~~~

Just a "for instance":

The 79-93 Mustang intermediate steering shaft was a single solid unit. This intermediate shaft bolted to the output shaft on the steering rack. The other end slid into the SOLID column steering shaft that protruded through the firewall. The top end was also bolted to the end of the solid column shaft. The intermediate shaft was also SPLINED at the bottom where it would connect to the SPLINED output shaft of the steering rack. This splined area was NOT keyed, so the installer had to basically line up things - trial and error....

The 1994-2003 Mustang intermediate steering shafts are different from previous years. The "new" steering shaft is KEYED on BOTH ends and is also COLLAPSIBLE. The bottom triangular keyed end of the intermediate shaft slides into the triangular keyed output shaft on the steering rack and is then secured by a single bolt. The other end, or top end of the intermediate shaft is slid through the firewall. Once it is pushed or extended through the firewall, the top end which is keyed, then is inserted into a U-JOINT that is coming off the bottom of the steering column assembly. Once the top keyed sections align, the top of the intermediate shaft is secured by a single TORX bolt. There is NO misalignment of the intermediate shaft, as it can only be installed ONE WAY.

~~~~~

With that now in mind, I am SURE there are or were design differences implemented into the "newer" 1992-1996 Broncos after 1991 - and those differences in the steering columns & intermediate shafts MAY mimick or be similar in design to the changes made on the 94-2004 Mustangs. This is why I am saying to research the differences and see if one can use a "better, later model" Bronco steering shaft in an ealier Bronco for an updated and better shaft.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all that info Phil.

I do have a solid shaft in the stang, lucky enough to find it used for $20!!!

However, I was "hoping" not to sink as much aftermarket dollers into the truck that I have my stang (which still doesn't even run, pos).

I checked ebay, and the auto parts stores. This may be a dealer item, and if that's the case, I may as well go flaming river.

I'll try the junkyards, I suppose, but am not too thrilled about using a used shaft, since these are high wear items. U almost never see a 92+ in the yards.

Anyhow, nice to know where all my slop is. this truck should feel tight as hell as soon as I get this fixed.

the borgeson shafts on summitracing weren't really much cheaper than the flaming river units, are they better?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Flaming River USES Borgeson components... Borgeson is a supplier to them, but they won't tell you that. Why pay the price of a Flaming River part when you can most likely get it direct (or from another source) and spend less?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Cobra Jet said:
For your 95 Mustang stering shaft issue - here is exactly what you need to do:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=753082

In short, you want to purchase a 2003/04 Cobra steering shaft - it was redesigned by Ford and is a MUCH BETTER unit than the previous 94-2002 stering shafts. The price can't be beat (go to the thread, as you will find all the info you need on price, where to buy, how to swap, etc).

Simple 30 minute fix. The difference in steering feel is definitely noticeable and an improvement over the old design.

~~~~~~~~~~
SWEEEETTTTT!!!! Thanks for the link Cobra! :beer I'll be putting in an order on that ASAP. I've been fighting with that dang Stang shaft for a while now. I've gone so far as to drill and tap some "set" screws so that the collapsing function wouldn't be affected, but the outer shaft steel isn't tough enough to withstand much force being applied from the screw I installed. This solves my problems perfectly. Damn, Ford really got those '03's done right!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Swampwalker3 said:
Will an 88 shaft work for a 91 truck? If so, everything on this is solid.

hot damn, that certainly would eliminate my 2 piece shaft wouldn't it??

could you measure the length from end to end, and also the end that slips over the steering column shaft? I'll compare that with my truck and we'll have our answer.

i wonder if that's the same upgraded rag joint I hear my 91 has.

I'm just not ready still to blow $250ish for something I really will forget about once installed.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The 1987 -1991 shafts are 2 piece and interchangable they will also work on 1980-1986 year Bronco's.The 1992 and newer are a total different design and will not work on 1991 and older.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i think i might be having this same problem. while driving i have about 3 or 4 inches of play in the steering wheel. I don't know anything about this stuff and don't know what to look for. could that be the steering shaft? oh btw what the hell is the rag joint?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you look at the joint on the right side of the shaft above, right where the joint is on a stock shaft, there would be a rubber disc. This absorbes road harshness, but wears out quickly.

Have a friend lightly turn the steering wheel left to right just enough to engage the play. watch the steering shaft as it goes into the steering box. See if the top half of the shaft turns at a different speed than the bottom half of the shaft after the rag joint, if so it's the rag joint. If the entire shaft rotates at the same speed, watch the shaft where it goes into the steering box, and at the same time, watch the linkage coming out of the steering box and see if they turn at different rates.

IMO, it's either that rag joint or the steering box.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts