Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys im back with another noob question... i put subs,amp,and a capacitor in my truck.. its obvious either my battery or alternator is bummed.. today for example.. i go out start it after sitting for 3 days... starts up fine.. i run it for about 45 seconds shut it down.. come back out to drive my g/f to work and the battery is dead :shocked .. clicked the first time.. second time it was completely dead.. i cleaned and resurfaced my terminals (some corrosion was there), and charged it for about 10 minutes .. got it to start.. it ran fine... i had the subs pounding and it was ok (no fading) .. my question is battery or alternator? any input is greatly appreciated :thumbup

·
Registered
86 Posts
start the truck and disconnect the battery, if it stays running then its the battery, if it shuts off then its the alternator....that should be right, if anybody wants to correct me please do

·
Registered
470 Posts
Sounds like u need a new alternator. With all of that stereo crap (wish I had all of that :banghead ), your old large case alternator cannot keep up, and your battery is being forced to compensate. I would personally recommend a new alternator, preferably a 3G. Search around here because it seems like a lot of people have done the switch (it’s cheap).

~AC, Another NORCAL resident :chili:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill try that "disconnect battery" after startup and see what happens.. i will also look into the 3g swap.. i read the tech install page and it confused the hell out of me.. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts