Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is my deal. I am losing brake fluid from the big part of the MC. which set of brakes does this go to? I always get them mixed up. My pedal is set to the floor and it still dotn slow me down. There is no leak at the wheels, as my wheels would be covered in fluid and there not, the only place i see that may be leaking is the T on the rear axle where the vent and the brake lines are, but the only thing that I can tell is the vent line is cracked, but that shouldnt pertain to the brakes would it? but it is leaking from that vent line. I was uploading a pic but somethign is going on with my SM (go figure!) and can't get anything to work. Hope someone can help me this is my DD and I need it at 2 today to get to school.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
Pull the vacuum hose that goes from the booster to the intake manifold and see if it is wet with brake fluid. If so, you prolly need a master cylinder as it is leaking and the engine is sucking it up and sending it out the tail pipe.

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't smoke though and exhaust smells fine. is the large resivoir for the rear? I will pull it before i leave and see what i get, but I am not sure that is the case, but is a possiblilty. Any other options?

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Yes it is for the rear IIRC. I would pull off the rear wheel and drums check your wheel cylinders start working forward you can also put a big sheet of cardboard under the truck and see where the drips appear.

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have fresh drips from right under that T. and the wheel cylinders I think are fine, I havnt seen any leaks and that is what happened last time my cylinder blew was fluid everywhere. But I have come to the conclusion that my self adjuster is not in place and is rattling in the drum, could this have soemthing to do with it? And how would/could it be leaking from that T and making it disappear.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
I have fresh drips from right under that T. and the wheel cylinders I think are fine, I havnt seen any leaks and that is what happened last time my cylinder blew was fluid everywhere. But I have come to the conclusion that my self adjuster is not in place and is rattling in the drum, could this have soemthing to do with it? And how would/could it be leaking from that T and making it disappear.
Could be a slow wheel cylinder leak doesn't hurt to check and be safe, when was the last time you did the rear brakes? As for the leak the t could be failing the line isn't sealed all the way broken line.

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be a slow wheel cylinder leak doesn't hurt to check and be safe, when was the last time you did the rear brakes? As for the leak the t could be failing the line isn't sealed all the way broken line.
Hmmm, ill check, but I am afraid to take it off in fear of what i need to buy that i dont have money for. I did the brakes few months ago before i left t oAZ. and I will check anywhere else for leaks, but the only noticable one is at the T.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Hmmm, ill check, but I am afraid to take it off in fear of what i need to buy that i dont have money for. I did the brakes few months ago before i left t oAZ. and I will check anywhere else for leaks, but the only noticable one is at the T.
Replace the line at the T just doesn't hurt to check other things while your there better to be aware then plow into someone cuz you didn't.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
is the large resivoir for the rear?
Yes it is for the rear IIRC.
No, the large reservoir is for the fronts. And this is because the pistons in the calipers have a great deal of space to fill when the pads wear out.

You need to fix the T. If it's leaking there, then your back brakes are not working at all. You gotta be able to hold the pressure in to make everything work.

If the larger reservoir is losing fluid, then you need to examine your front brakes as well. But, if the rears aren't working, then your fronts are working alot harder and will wear your pads out faster causing the fluid level to go down. So fix the leak at the T, then make sure your back brakes are working properly and adjusted properly.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
:stupid

Large reservoir is for the fronts. Also, remove the master cylinder from the booster and see if it is leaking out the rear seal.

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm, gosh this is so bad, i wish i had time to take it all apart and figure it out but i currently dont have the money or time or a second vehicle. :cry

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts
Hmmm, gosh this is so bad, i wish i had time to take it all apart and figure
it out but i currently dont have the money or time or a second vehicle.
"Yeah, I agree, it'll save a lot of time and money to just go ahead and
risk wrecking the damned thing. :)

--------------------------

"...the large reservoir is for the fronts. And this is because the pistons in
the calipers have a great deal of space to fill when the pads wear out."
-Sackman

Cool way to look at it, thanks. :)

The main way I've -been- looking at it is, the pistons are like extra large
diameter wheel cylinders. But when looking at it that way tho :/ ...you
have to add the fact they don't have to move very far because the pads
are already in contact ...otherwise... picture what fluid movement and
reservoir size (wheel cylinders of that diameter) it'd take. LOL :)

Ok, Alvin being weird again in AZ :/

·
Registered
215 Posts
well take it damned easy until you can afford to fix it or borrow someones car, a brake system with problems like that, is asking to break. and catastrophically is how they usually like to go. good luck!

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Yeah, I agree, it'll save a lot of time and money to just go ahead and
risk wrecking the damned thing. :)

--------------------------

"...the large reservoir is for the fronts. And this is because the pistons in
the calipers have a great deal of space to fill when the pads wear out."
-Sackman

Cool way to look at it, thanks. :)

The main way I've -been- looking at it is, the pistons are like extra large
diameter wheel cylinders. But when looking at it that way tho :/ ...you
have to add the fact they don't have to move very far because the pads
are already in contact ...otherwise... picture what fluid movement and
reservoir size (wheel cylinders of that diameter) it'd take. LOL :)

Ok, Alvin being weird again in AZ :/
Not sure what was really said in there to help the situation, but i knew bout the pistons. I just dont see where it is leaking, and if the rear T was leaking then that would contribute to rear brake faliure, so why would my front brake resivoir be leaking? I am going to take the vacuum line off today and see if that is the deal, cause i talekd to my old boss and he suggested that was the problem as well, so now i have a little bit of a better lead then just looking at everything.

well take it damned easy until you can afford to fix it or borrow someones car, a brake system with problems like that, is asking to break. and catastrophically is how they usually like to go. good luck!
And I know I have been, following extra far away and taking it easy on the gas that way i dont exceed a safe slowing speed. And I really dont ahve another choice at the time. I am still looking at options though.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Brother we've all been in the "no money zone", that's no excuse so call your parents and ask them for help....but stop whinning, you're running around here like a mouse in a maze.

The answers are right in front of you here, take the advice and fix that T leak first, it can't cost but a few dollars and if the rear wheel cylinder/s are leaking they're not that much $$ either compared to your life, vehicle and safety towards others..

Should the MC be leaking you can just buy a new "piston and spring", again not that much $$ then install and re-bleed the system ......

You're only inviting trouble if you have an accident knowing you had brake problems, the Police and possibly an insurance investigator should anyone get hurt will discover it and you could wind up being sued into oblivien along with going to jail for negligence...leave early, walk or take the bus if you have to get to school...NBD...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brother we've all been in the "no money zone", that's no excuse so call your parents and ask them for help....but stop whinning, you're running around here like a mouse in a maze.

The answers are right in front of you here, take the advice and fix that T leak first, it can't cost but a few dollars and if the rear wheel cylinder/s are leaking they're not that much $$ either compared to your life, vehicle and safety towards others..

Should the MC be leaking you can just buy a new "piston and spring", again not that much $$ then install and re-bleed the system ......

You're only inviting trouble if you have an accident knowing you had brake problems, the Police and possibly an insurance investigator should anyone get hurt will discover it and you could wind up being sued into oblivien along with going to jail for negligence...leave early, walk or take the bus if you have to get to school...NBD...

I know, were all in the no money zone, but i would ask the parents, but my mom still lives at home, and my dad is supporting my rent at the moment while i am in job search mode, so there really isnt much money to squeeze out, I am going to figure it out where it is and how much parts are and hopefully squeeze out some money somewhere to fix it all, and i know bout the insurance and sueing thing, that why i been extra careful driving around, but will most likely be able to get to it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Do what you need to, get someone one to drive you around for gas money and park the BKO if necessary until you secure funds for repairs ...just be thoughtful of others and be safe....

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the kind words, I am being safe and making sure i got an escape route in case of worse comes to worese. such as driving the outside lane that way i can bail into the fields on way to school. and I am looking for rides as well, but till i found someone willing to come out of there where to get me my bronco is the only means. Again thanks for all the suggestions guys and I will report this weekned for what i found!!

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, well i got all the parts needed for repairs for worst case scenario, except the booster, which my neighbor said i need cause the Brake Fluid will eat up the diaghram in there. So it will all be repaired tomorrow. !! I will let you know what i find.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts