Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need your oh so expert advice! lol ..... Ive got an 86 Bronco 5.8 and ive taken all/most of the emissions stuff off and Im not sure that my vaccumm lines are hooked up right, BUT I know that I have plugged my crossover tubes with a cap where the check valve once was.... So my problem is when I run the truck for awhile it starts cutting out and barely can pull its own weight. Ive replaced plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter, recently did new exhaust and took out my cats. Any ideas why it runs like crap when it warms up???? Im thinking its because my crossover pipe is plugged and possibly I dont have vaccuum hooked up right. Can someone point me in the right direction besides the shop! lol

Thanks in advance!
Nick

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Ive got an 86 Bronco 5.8 and ive taken all/most of the emissions stuff off and Im not sure that my vaccumm lines are hooked up right
:smilie_slap :twak :smilie_slap :twak :smilie_slap :twak :smilie_slap :twak :smilie_slap :twak :smilie_slap

Any ideas why it runs like crap when it warms up????
Um, maybe because......

Ive got an 86 Bronco 5.8 and ive taken all/most of the emissions stuff off and Im not sure that my vaccumm lines are hooked up right

Can someone point me in the right direction besides the shop! lol
Sure. Put everything back like it was.

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
vacuum gauge- buy one and connect it to a vacuum port on your engine, it should be between ~16-20 and steady, if its not then you have a vacuum leak.

if you do have a vacuum leak, buy some vacuum-caps (female rubber plugs) and start unhooking the hoses on your intake manifold and blocking them off until the vacuum picks up, if it still doesnt hold vacuum, there could be an intake leak or any number of other things

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Yeah like a dumba$$ I took off all the emissions horsesh$$ and threw it away trying to get rid of everything I "thought" I didnt need to make it easier to work on, but Im learning very quickly that may not have been one of the best ideas Ive ever had. I will get a vaccuum gauge and see what I get out of that.

Thanks guys for your help!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yeah like a dumba$$ I took off all the emissions horsesh$$ and threw it away trying to get rid of everything I "thought" I didnt need to make it easier to work on, but Im learning very quickly that may not have been one of the best ideas Ive ever had. I will get a vaccuum gauge and see what I get out of that.

Thanks guys for your help!
You do realize it might not run right until you put all of that shit back on it right?

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
86 is it carbed??? or FI??? I cant remember what it could be.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
How does it idle? If you have a vacuum leak it will idle usually high. or you very well could have the vacuum advance for the dizzy on the wrong port.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It idles fine, around maybe 800rpm? Yeah Ive been doing some research online and I think I have the Dizzy hooked to the "ported vaccuum" on the carb, when it should be hooked to a "full manifold" port on the other side of the carb. I just went out to switch these around and I think the starter is out on it now lol....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so I replaced starter and solenoid and hooked the dizzy up to the "full manifold" vaccuum port on the edelbrock carb and it seems to run better, BUT at heavy throttle it still cuts out a bit. Any ideas? Before I put the dizzy on full manifold port it cut out at about any throttle range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also just replaced the ignition module and still doing the same thing on the way home from Autozone..... Does Vapor Locking occur while driving? Im scraping the bottom of the barrell here....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts