Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help. I've got an '87 Bronco 302 EFI. With the recent hot summer temperatures my truck has been running rough and experience a loss of power. Especially going up hills. The first day I noticed this I was pulling my empty trailer. I attributed it to the heat and extra payload. I did a quick survey of the hoses, and fluid levels everything was fine. I did go ahead and replace the fuel filter. It almost feels lick the truck is experiencing vapor lock, but if I remove the fuel cap I'm not getting the woooshing sound. (I had this problem last year and it was solved by replacing the cap)

I plan to replace the plugs tonight just in case perhaps one is fowled or something. The truck seams to run fine though once the sun goes down and the temperatures are cooler. Is there anything you guys would suggest that I take a look at while I'm digging around under the hood today?

I should note that after the first day I noticed the problem I did go ahead and change the fuel filter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Try to see if it is throwing codes. I have an issue I believe now is either my ignition control module or the ignition coil pickup (stator) both of which are known to degrade with heat and time-something to consider, but I would check codes first. If you're replacing plugs, might as well go with wires too-check distributor, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changed the plugs and still had the lack of power. I'm going to replace the wires and dist cap tomorrow. I tried to pull codes from an old sunpro code scanner I bought back when I had my pickup but never used the scanner so I wasn't sure what I was doing. I did manage to hook it up to the correct plugs and think I was getting error 33. I'm going to re-read the manual and try again tomorrow. My neighbor says it is definitely missing. he suggest I take it in for some compression tests.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I feel like an idiot, but I'm not sure what part is the EGR under the hood. I looked at what a new one looks like at Autozone's site and have tried searching images, but I don't see it under the hood

EDIT: nevermind.. it was right in front of me, just bigger than I thought it was...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one more question now that I have the EGR off. I was going to clean it using carburetor cleaner, but I noticed this pretty bad rust build up. Can I dremmel that rust out, how deep should I go?

Also The pipe the EGR was mounted to is not attached to anything. I looks like it is broke off but the pipe it was near isn't broke and feel like it's lipped. Can I get some thoughts on this?

·
Registered
40 Posts
On my 88 the EGR tube connects to the passenger exhaust header. The tube connects to a fitting that is threaded on both sides. One side is for the EGR tube and the other side threads into the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
upon further evaluation I did find the other end. Looks like I have a little work ahead of me. On top of that I noticed anti-freeze around the water pump. Good thing it's a 3 day weekend...

BTW I'm trying to find the pipe on autozone's web site. Anyone know the name of it? I tried EGR exhaust pipe.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
use wd-40 (or pb blaster or something) to blast the insides of the EGR with, once it moves freely (pushing the valve with something) work it a bunch of times.. then spray more wd-40 through it, hose water, or use brake cleaner or whatever you want. to get the rest of the crap out.. thats what i did on mine (it was stuck) and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
so let me ask you experts this, if I were to high temp silicon tube slightly larger than that rigid area of the pipe, could I then use hose clamps to mount it over the existing pipe?

EDIT: here's the other end of the pipe, it's under the fuel injection stuff...

·
Registered
232 Posts
A decent jobber should be able to find ya that pipe same day. If your Local Napa warehouse is any good, they stock it. Since it's the same PN for a TON if applications.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts