Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 Bronco XL 4x4 w/5.0 V8 and around 80K miles.

Problem: No Reverse

Truck cannot be driven or even pushed (in neutral) backwards! It can however, be driven forward (even though while driving forward, I can tell something is still wrong in the drivetrain). When I try pushing the truck from the front, the rear end must be lifted in order to get the front wheels to move backwards. Rear wheels seem to "lock-out" but only in reverse!

Please advise if you have had a similar problem or if you may have an idea on what could be causing this. My guess is that it is either the transmission or the rear end.

Thank you!

·
Southeast Utah Native
919 Posts
Disconnect the driveshaft & see if you can push it backwards. You'll know in just a few minutes if the rear end is the problem or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem as we speak. My forward gears work fine, as does park. When moving the gear selector from "park" to what would be reverse, it seems to skip that gear all together and hit neutral. The gear selector only moves one "notch" but where reverse USED to be, I'm left with what I'm assuming is neutral. I know its neutral, because I can start it in this gear, as well as in park-no other gears. The strange thing, my "neutral" is now a forward gear! This Bronc has been a headache from day one, but I love the truck. I've always been a chevy guy, and this has been my first non-gmc vehicle, for the price, I couldnt pass it up. 1989 351, auto tranny, 4x4. Roughly 120,000. If this was a chev, I would of thrown the tranny behind the barn, and thrown in a replacement, I've got plenty of Chevy 4x4 stuff laying around. No Ford stuff. For those with this problem, or any knowledge,what do you presume is wrong, before I yank it? Its just a daily driver, that sees very limited mud action (donuts in the slop, climbing small hills,etc). Looking for the cheapest way to get my driver back, my funds are shot, and I'm out of a vehicle.

If a new tranny is in order, I know a few guys who may have the correct trannies laying around, what should I expect to pay for one, from a buddy, as pulled from the vehicle?

Again, all forward gears work fine. No reverse, neutral is now a forward-gear. Any input at all appreciated, I need to get this fixed as cheaply and quickly as possible, and know next to nothing about transmissions!

Thanks in Advance :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
well if it is an 89, it shouldnt cost 2 much, it is probably C6 trans, does it have Overdrive, u could pick one of those up for a couple hundred bucks, the c6 is a decent trans, maybe u should get underneath it and check your linkage, goodluck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts