Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started dieting and working out last November - and have been pretty successful (knock on wood).

I started at 277 and have toned down to 250. I have dropped a pant size and find many of my dress shirts to be too big, now.

I am stuck at 250 - I am not sure how to get my body to get past this point. I have been here for about a month.

My normal workout is one of the following 3-5 days a week:
1 - Day of cardio - 1 hour-ish
2 - 45mins cardio, 4 x circuit of 15 abs, 25 bench press (bar only), 10 tricep press with body weight
3 - 45mins cardio, 4 x circuit of 10 abs, 15-20 squat (bar only), 10 incline press
4 - 45 mins cardio 4 x circuit of 10-15 abs, back workout --- don't really have a set back day - I am working on that

I have been doing the "freeweight" stuff since the beginning of the year when I stopped seeing results from the machines. I have been sticking with the "bar only" to try to tone up and not worry about building mass at this time. When I am doing 100 bench presses with the bar only the last set of 25 sometimes gets tough.

I am happy with the results I have had. I would like to lose another 40# and see where I want to go from there. I know I can do it - I am just looking for "that thing" that will help me get over this plateau of 250. Do I need to add weight? Change a routine? Add more cardio and decrease weight workouts?

Any advise would be great!

Thanks!

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
How is your diet? Change your routine up as well.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,785 Posts
you could do more than just the "bar only" and still get toned. Have you tried to max your weight on squats and bench pressing? Whatever weight you can get take 60% of that number and that is your "tone" weight. You need to get more resistance on the bar.

You also dont have to do 100 reps. If you add weight to the bar to where you can only do 20 reps, that would be best. To bulk up, you would want to have massive weight on there to where you could only get 6-8 reps in.

You could also just go back to the machines to where you were losing weight. Just keep in mind, as you work out, you will build muscle and muscle weights double that of fat. So you may not be losing weight, but you are losing fat and gaining muscle.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I've seen people get massive weight loss from crystal meth.:shrug

Seriously though, it does sound like you're doing a good job. How long have you been at this plateau?

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Changing your routine sometimes helps. you might want to drop the weights all together. yes, having more muscle burns more fat, but you actually have tons of muscle, seeing as youve needed it to carry around all the weight. so now use that muscle to burn off the fat, ie, intense cardio/aerobic workouts. you can work this way in cycles, building muscle, then tearin off the fat.

just like body builders will "plateau", so can people trying to lose weight. basically you will reach a point where no matter what you do, your weight wont change (the way you want it to, its always easy to slip back the way you came). for some builiders, this means a cycle of drugs. for people trying to lose weight, the methods are certainly more legal, but maybe just as unsafe.

at least for me, when i plateau, i fast for a few days. you dont have to eat nothing, but waaaaaaay less than you usually would. its tough. i dont usually increase my workout, it prob drops a little. but once i see the numbers break the plateau, start eating normally (but healthy) again, and crank the workout up to keep the number coming down. once it starts moving again, its easier to keep it moving. as a bonus for fasting, youll find afterwards, youll eat smaller portions. at first its weird, because you know what you would normally eat, so you take that amount, and end up eating it all anyway, cause its in front of you. try taking 1/2 the normal amounts, and then if you are still arent full, take a little more. youll still end up eating less.

i am not a doctor or a nutritionist, nor do i study these things. i dont read tons about it or anything like that. i was just a fat kid who couldnt lose weight. i went to drastic measures to lose the weight, found a healthy activity to help me lose it (cycling), and when i told my doctor how i lose the weight, he just shrugged and said, "hey sometimes it takes something like that to get results. youre heathier now than you were, so in the end it was worth it." just dont keep fasting until you are unhealthy and whatnot. but usually when you start this big, thats never going to be an issue.

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
Diet x2. Carbs are killers. Stay away from stuff high on the glycemic index (white bread, potatoes, bananas).

What's your heart rate on the cardio? While cardio is good, slow down and do some "fat burn" stuff too. Adding some weights to the bar will help build muscle mass which will help the weight drop.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Throw up after you eat.

No seriously, just eat 5-6 small meals, and snack on fruits and vegetables all day. Your metabolism has to keep active, think of it as a muscle too. Small things help too, like taking the stairs.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,423 Posts
eating 5-6 small meals a day works better than fasting (not insulting your methods Squatty) add some weight to the bar rep wise, 4 to 6 is for big muscle, 6 to 10 or 12 is for building medium muscle, 12 to 15 is for lean muscle. On your cardio, walk-run-slow down but not to walk- speed up to faster then repeat. so like 3mph-6-4-7. do 30 seconds each after about 2 minutes of the 3 mph walk. obviously eat fiber and lean meat and beans. variety is the key to droping weight and gaining muscle.
good luck and congrats on the loss so far!

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
Your body is used to that routine, change it and your body will react accordingly.

Do you work out in the morning or at night? Working out in the morning will help kick start your metabolism for the day.

Do you eat a good breakfast? If not, start eating breakfast.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Your body is used to that routine, change it and your body will react accordingly.

Do you work out in the morning or at night? Working out in the morning will help kick start your metabolism for the day.

Do you eat a good breakfast? If not, start eating breakfast.
damn you sound like a personal trainer.

but seriously truer words have not been spoken. steve has lost half a man already, and Godless is doing my diet and excercise routine and has dropped one as well. i do cardio in the morning with nothing but coffee and a piece of fruit in my system. then i wait about 15 minutes eat a protien bar and drink a gatorade and lift. wish i had time to split them up but i dont.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Me too!

Yeah I plateaued for a while but I am back to losing weight again. I am down 93 pounds, I am healthier than ever, and I am eating a whole lot better now.

As far as cardio goes, if you havent yet, change machines every 6 weeks. I used to ride the stationary bike and now it really doesnt do anything for me, now I am on the incline treadmill doing brisk walking and light jogging. That kills me now but in 6 weeks it will probably get easier and I will change to the elyptical machine and so on...

The human body is interesting an can get used to a routine quick. Just like my stupid low carb diet. I lost 75 pounds in 4 months fast, but I ate crap. ate like crap, and starved. I even plateaued at 500 calories a day! Now I am eating 1600 calories a day and losing weight again. Sounds odd to the layman but your body reacts better with better treatment.

I have learned a ton from Ken, but not only that I buy Muscle magazines, read Bodybuilding.com everyday, shop wisely at the grocery store, listen to my body, measure and log everything I eat, exercise areas of my body that feel rested, rest the areas that feel fatigued, exercise CORRECTLY, intake water often, intake pre-workout and post workout supplements correctly, etc etc etc. Its a life change NOT a diet and if more people would realize this more people would be successful.

Good luck, and kick it in the ass, your plateau will end shortly.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Start stepping it up on the weight.....don't be afraid of the weights. A good exhausting session with weights will keep your metabolism revd up alot longer than a cardio session. Then you add al ittle more muscle, and you burn more calories all day.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the replies!

To a few of the questions...

Diet
My diet consists of "HMR" foods (you can Google HMR - but basically it is a diet program through many hospitals/dr offices. Samantha's doctor wanted her to do it, and I started doing it with her). Most days my diet is 3 shakes, 2 meals, 5 cups of fruits and veggies, 64oz of "zero calorie" beverages (water for me). ---these days are about 1500 calories

On days I do not stay "in the box" as HMR calls it - I do stay near or below the 1500 calorie mark. Since doing the HMR diet - I have certainly learned portion control -- that was a KILLER to me before.

plateau
I started the whole diet thing in November - before Thanksgiving.
I did a "biggest loser" at our gym that started in mid-late January and my weight was 257. I am currently 250-3 (depends on the day). I have been at the 250-3 mark for about a month (maybe a little less). I know that in since Jauary I have put on muscle -- but I can tell I have lost fat as my clothes are bigger. -- so short answer - plateau has been about a month

cardio routine
Varies from day-to-day. I have not stuck with one machine for any long amount of time. I have recently been hitting the stationary bike hard getting ready for "real" biking.
Other cardio at the gym may be - Eliptical, Natilius Treadclimer, Treadmill, or bike.
As soon as the weather breaks - just before Winter hit - Samantha and I got into road biking - we will be hitting that again soon. That will be a major cardio. Between 7-15 miles in about 45 minutes.

workout time
I do my workout when I can in the day. Sometimes it is the morning - but most of the time it is the evening when I make it. Between work and school - evening works out the be the best time for Samantha and I to make it together.

I'm looking forward to getting my mtn bike going for Spring - and the weather to break so we can get on our road bikes.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Bill

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh - as for adding weights.

What would do you think would be a good point from here?

Bar, 35#, 50# progression?

Bill

·
Registered
868 Posts
oh - as for adding weights.

What would do you think would be a good point from here?

Bar, 35#, 50# progression?

Bill
There is no set/right/only thing to do. You can'tgo wrong with doing whatever weight you can for 12 reps , 3 or so sets. Do 2- 3 exercises per body part....Just mix it up and step it up.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'm with you on the weight loss thing. You've already made a huge improvement! I've gone from 270 to 260 in the past couple of months. What I would do...

1 lose the scale and get some fat calipers. That way you won't be discouraged by gaining muscle.

2 up the weights in the gym. Anything more than 15 reps doesn't do anything but make you tired. Seriously, shoot for a weight that allows 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps at 80-85% maximal effort. Don't kill yourself, but move some weight.

3 Do more than bench and squat. Chins, dips, deads, good mornings, dumbbell rows etc.

4 Your diet sounds like it is good, but don't eat too FEW calories because it will SLOW your metabolism because your body thinks it is starving. You need to calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate + The extra calories burned based on lifestyle + calories burned exercising - about 1,000.

1500 cals a day is really low. It takes about 3,600 for me to maintain my weight so I shoot for about 2500 a day.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts