Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over last weekend, I had to replace the starter, Fan clutch, and battery... OK all good and if was fairly simple. I hop into the ride today and head on down the highway, 15 minutes into it and the check engine light comes on. I get off at the next exit, and as soon as I do , the light goes off. I didn't do anything different and it drives just fine. What I am wondering is if anyone has any ideas of things I should check now? Does the light leave a code in the system so I can go back and see what the error was?

I checked the oil and it was about a half a quart low (will put it in at lunch). I tried checking the Transmission fluid while it was still hot and running form the drive to work, and it seemed OK, but I didn't see a clear defined line on the dipstick from the fluid (more bubbles and etc). Any suggestions on how to get a more accurate reading on this part?

Thank you guys for all the great help you have given me!

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
yo,

It happens.
Check for Codes first;
a SELF TEST & DTCs, COMPREHENSIVE by Steve83

miesk5 NOTE; Self-Test Input (STI) is the Pin in the Lt gray Connector and Signal Return Ground (STO/SIGRET) is Pin E in black Connector in 87-95; The engine temperature must be greater than 50°F (10°C) to pass the KOEO Self-Test and greater than 180°F (82°C) to pass the KOER Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accesories/lights, etc. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch. Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first. Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
yo
for the tranny fluid level; clean the dip stick off well and try again when eng is cold..fluid level should be visible

& again @ norm op temp

Following is from my 96's Owner's Guide; same as your year
Fluid
It is preferable to check the transmission fluid level at normal operating temperature 150°F-170°F (66°C-77°C), after approximately 20 miles (32 km) of driving. However, if necessary, you can check the fluid level without having to drive 20 miles (32 km) to obtain a normal operating temperature if outside temperatures are above 50°F (10°C). NOTE: If the vehicle has been operated for an extended period at high speeds or in city traffic during hot weather, or pulling a trailer, the vehicle should be turned off for about 30 minutes to allow the fluid to cool before checking. With the vehicle on a level surface, start the engine and move the transmission shift selector through all of the gear ranges allowing sufficient time for each position to engage. Securely latch the transmission shift selector in the Park (P) position, fully set the parking brake and leave the engine running. NOTE: Vehicles equipped with the 4x4 option must have the 4x4 shift selector in any position other than neutral.
WARNING Your vehicle should not be driven if the fluid level is below the bottom hole on the dipstick and outside temperatures are above 50°F (10°C).Wipe off the dipstick cap, pull the dipstick out and wipe the indicator end clean. Put the dipstick back into the filler tube and make sure it is fully seated. Pull the dipstick out and read the fluid level. When checking fluid at normal operating temperature, the fluid level should be within the crosshatched area on the dipstick. When the vehicle has not been driven, and outside temperature is above 50°F (10°C), the fluid level should be between the holes on the dipstick. Adding Automatic Transmission Fluid
The fluid type is stamped on the dipstick. Before adding any fluid, be sure that the correct type will be used. Add fluid in 1/2 pint (.25L) increments through the filler tube to bring the level to the correct area on the dipstick. If an overfill occurs, excess fluid should be removed by a qualified technician.
"
MERCON® is being replaced by MERCON® V as a Service Fluid TSB 06-14-04 for 80-96 Bronco & all Fords to Current

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
yo, I did it again! I hit the reply before finishing...

The bubbles are prob due to the low fluid level..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Miesk5,
THANK YOU for all the GREAT information!!! I will run out at lunch time and see if I can check the transmission fluid level while it is cold. I was suspecting that it could be low and that's why the light came on, but was not for sure. So I will check in a few a post back. Question tho---- Is it possible to fill it some while still cold, or should I really drive it around and heat it up some to fill it and check it again?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UGH.... Now I am puzzled.... I went out to the parking lot real fast and checked the transmission fluid (been sitting in 42 degree weather for 2 hours). Cleaned it off and checked it again... shows a nice color of red on the stick up to the cross hatches.... HMMM maybe it isnt low?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.