Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotsa Wind (Pics Added)

How is it where you are? It's blowing heavy here. Lost part of a fence, some good sized branches, & drove over the scrubby end of a downed tree to get home. 2 neighbors have had trees uprooted, one of those took tore up his gas main & tore down his power line. Good thing they didn't get together. The fire dept had the street closed until a few minutes ago.

Edit 12/3/2011 -Some pics from around the neighborhood. This is all within 1/2 mile of home:

My Jacaranda

The fence it hit. Most of the big stuff landed on the other side.

My back fence. Hey, there's the gas can. To the left you can see the new section from the last big wind.

Front fence & someone's umbrella. No sign of Mary Poppins.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
makes the wind up here look like a joke.... its enough up here to make you swerve from one side of the lane to the other and back and forth, but other than that not really complaining

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
You get a little wind and they close roads?

·
B350 built at THE SHOP
2,144 Posts
They closed the roads because trees are down everywhere, I saw one with a 14" trunk and it sheared 6" above ground and fell over

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not real bad here steady wind with gusts to 45mph gets worse up in the hills 60 to 70 at the peaks they say. I have seen it much worse here though. Stay safe !!

·
Administrator
22,848 Posts
Buddy of mine works for Edison (power company) states in his area alone there are 52 power poles down, they are still expecting winds up to 97 miles an hour..

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
The windows are buffeting here constantly, we're above the Palos Verdes Peninsula Center in Rolling Hills Estates and the visiblity out the bedroom window isn't great, usually I can see from the Hollywood sign across to the Queen Mary in Long Beach....it's windy but not cold yet until the sun goes down....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
I see Broncos
6,012 Posts
Not bad here at all. But the static has been wreaking havoc on anything with a circuit here. Took down our phone system, several machines have been doing weird stuff all day and the video conference system went a little wacky too. Even the IR sensors for the lights are on the fritz. It's like living in 1983 again.

·
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You get a little wind and they close roads?
More for the gas leak & downed power lines. The meter & pressure regulator are on the house, so a break in the yard is a high pressure leak. Once they got that resolved they left it up to us to deal with the tree remains.

There were a lot of downed trees, some of them giants. One crushed the end of a house in Arcadia. I saw several trees snapped 15-20 feet off the ground, one of those a palm. I never saw a broken palm before, I thought they uprooted before breaking. 2 concrete light poles were broken in half. In Irwindale several phone poles were split in two. It's not much compared to what other parts of the country go thru, but it seems pretty wild compared to what we normally see.

So far it is quiet tonight.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
wow, was out of town. missed it all. a lot of insurance claims.........

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
That right there is one of the reasons I can't deal with trees above my house or close enough to fall on it. If they are big enough to do damage, they are comming out unless they are weighted enough in a safe direction so I don't have to worry about. Even with the snow, once the top starts leaning enough in the snow to allow it to catch more snow it just gets worse from there untill half the tree breaks off.

·
8,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They said it was a cold Santa Ana condition. We usually get it earlier in the year. The high desert to the Northeast of our local mountains develops high pressure, while here to the Southwest we get low pressure. The air is moving to equalize those pressures. Usually it happens when the desert air is warm, so we get a heavy warm wind. It ties to our fire season, since that fast moving dry air makes for bad brush fire conditions.

The regular warm Santa Anas blow pretty good all over Southern California. Sometimes they comes more focused below some mountain canyons. This area seems kind of protected a lot of years, but every so often we get nailed. These late cold winds seem more likely to hit here. Several years ago they ripped off our upstairs swing out windows, took a lot of our roof off, tore down the big sign at my father in law's store (Supposed to have been able to withstand 125 mph winds), & ripped the shell off of my wife's pickup & blew it across the road. This time damage was minimal at home, but a lot for trees came down around town & caused damage elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts