Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so there is a metal on metal, really loud chirping/squeeking noise coming from the front of my engine. i know it could be many things. tensioner, power steering, idler. So my question is have any of you had a really loud metal on metal chirping sound before? and what did it end up being? it only does it on initial start up for about 5 seconds. it does not do it during idle. it does it at slow speeds under slight throttle or when going any speed and i let off the gas, it does it til it's back down to idle rpm. i can floor it and it won't make a single noise though. thoughts? since it doesn't do it at idle it's hard to pinpoint, and if i stand in front of the truck and have someone start it so i can listen for it upon startup, i can't really place where it's coming from. high low left right. It's so loud i would think i could pinpoint it but not so easy.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Yes, It could be anything thats turning with a bad bearing or sounds like smog/air pump going out.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Are you sure it's not the belt squeaking? If not then take the belt off and spin the pulleys by hand to see if one is squeaking or binding.Don't bother with the crank pulley, but if you can turn the crank pulley over by hand I'll give you a dollar. :toothless

·
Registered
488 Posts
I had a nasty chirp coming from the front of my 351. I replaced the belt and tensioner and it was still the same. My alternator had a noisy bearing that sounded like an old skateboard wheel, but it wouldn't chirp. Then eventually I had a ignition problem that led me to taking out my distributor. When I turned the distributor there was a tight spot in the bearing that would make it chirp. My bronco sat a lot for a while so it probably dried out and made a tight spot in the bearing. I replaced the dissy and everything was quiet.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, It could be anything thats turning with a bad bearing or sounds like smog/air pump going out.
i don't have a smog/air pump. I just have a pulley. i bought the truck from my brother and he said he wasn't aware of this and said he never altered smog. hell he barely did anything besides beat on it. Hence the name. so this must be something the owner before him did. Which brings me a whole new set of questions on that subject. but for now i need to figure out the chirp.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure it's not the belt squeaking? If not then take the belt off and spin the pulleys by hand to see if one is squeaking or binding.Don't bother with the crank pulley, but if you can turn the crank pulley over by hand I'll give you a dollar. :toothless
no. i know a belt squeek sound. This is something much more horrible sounding. good idea. Will do this tonight when i get home. although i'm smart enough to skip the crank :toothless

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
could be your ac. mine made an ugly metal on metal grind.
the ac system looks fairly new. my bro said whoever he bought it from had recently replaced the whole system but that it had a leak somewhere which would explain why it does not blow cold. but really everything looks new on the ac system. even has the sticker stating it's been upgraded to r134a. and the sticker looks quite new. so i would like to say i could cross this one off the list.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a nasty chirp coming from the front of my 351. I replaced the belt and tensioner and it was still the same. My alternator had a noisy bearing that sounded like an old skateboard wheel, but it wouldn't chirp. Then eventually I had a ignition problem that led me to taking out my distributor. When I turned the distributor there was a tight spot in the bearing that would make it chirp. My bronco sat a lot for a while so it probably dried out and made a tight spot in the bearing. I replaced the dissy and everything was quiet.
this one will be my next check as my bronco sat for a lil over a year without being started before i took ownership. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, so. The following day after posting this thread the really loud mysterious squeek/chirp disappeared. And to accompany that my fan was staying on constantly for the first day i drove it after it disappeared. So i am a little confused. Really confused to be honest. Why you ask. The fan has never worked in the last year of operation. I have had this truck for about two months now. I know it didn't work before that because my brother was always saying, "i got to replace my fan clutch". He never did though. So yeah, the fan NEVER came on and suddenly i got a loud annoying chirp/squeek then it disappears and then my fan is stuck on and now a few days later it's back to normal. No squeek/chirp and the fan is back to inoperational. Any ideas? I'm lost and now i can't even try to figure out what was squeeking/chirping because it's not there.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
*shrugs*

I had a horrible sound that made me want to kill myself...

It was a clanking, rocks clattering, horrid chirp and constant squeak...

it turned out to be my Smog Pump, I disconnected it and ran it without it and now no more sound, test drive and everything, You can try that and see if it's your smog pump.

If so, you can either stick 9/16 bolts in the holes and pinch the line going to the exhaust, or you can order a new smog pump. Either way, doesn't matter. To stay legal, you need a smog pump, but the smog pump is not an ingenious setup on these old Fords.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i don't have a smog/air pump. I just have a pulley. i bought the truck from my brother and he said he wasn't aware of this and said he never altered smog. hell he barely did anything besides beat on it. Hence the name. so this must be something the owner before him did. Which brings me a whole new set of questions on that subject. but for now i need to figure out the chirp.
no smog pump. Think it could be the water pump since it the noise disappeared and was making the fan act up? Has anyone ever had a waterpump get horribly loud squeeky/chirpy?

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
no smog pump. Think it could be the water pump since it the noise disappeared and was making the fan act up? Has anyone ever had a waterpump get horribly loud squeeky/chirpy?
Ah, sorry, didn't read enough of the thread. :duh

Alternators are known to get pretty creaky/squeaky...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts