Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i start moving from a stop, a very loud clunk is heard and felt. it sometimes shakes my whole truck. i know it is not a u joint, ive checked all of them. i thought tranny mount because the noise only happens once until i stop again. which would say to me its a mount or suspension part. the tranny mount appears in good shape. i looked at it closer and discovered the bolts on the bottom of the mount were loose. so i tightened the crap out of them since ive noticed this before. but never in the past have i had a clunk. which leaves motor mounts. and they are tricky to look at for whatever reason but they appear good as well.

help please.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Since clunk is heard/felt when you accelerate, I would suspect a bad engine mount or mounts. Mounts can look good because of the weight of the engine sitting on them when in reality they are cracked and the rubber is torn. Since you said your tranny mount bolts were loose, this would make sense as the extra torque on the tranny mount from the engine moving is loosening the bolts. Best way to check the engine mounts is to either pick the engine up with a cherry picker or lift up on it from below with a floor jack and watch what your engine mounts do.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Another way to check them is to put vehicle in drive hold the brake and give it gas. With the hood open you'll see the engine jump pretty high. Doing this in reverse will check the other mount. Crazy Hialeah way of doing it but has worked for me over 20 years.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
check the mounts first. it'll take you 30 seconds.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
He could have the rear cover off in half that time if he used 10 air wrenches at the same time....shit.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
because that's practical. :rolleyes:

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Could also be worn ring and pinion giving you backlash.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
He could have the rear cover off in half that time if he used 10 air wrenches at the same time....shit.
Aw hell just go to Ford Sterling and get a 10 way. That's what they use there. Tighten all 10 at the same time.:toothless

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
you got nothin :goodfinge

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
bring it sally

·
Registered
665 Posts
I had the same problem with mine for years. Greased the slip joint a couple months ago. It smoothed right out. Search grease slip joint or yoke. There is a great instructional post with pics. Easy job about 30 min. no problem.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
I've got something similar but it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes, if I start off hard, it sounds like metal tearing and a loud clunk. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere between the transmission and drive shaft. I've looked under the frame and all looks good. I guess I need to grease the joint or could it be something else?

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
good call on motor mounts and tranny mount. do that first, then check slip joint and lube it up. may be a pinion bearing going bad and letting the ring and pinion to move up and down on take off. i would also check the u-joints to ensure they are tight and that the rear is not moving around.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Could it just be that the driveshaft slip joint needs to be greased? I've heard that's a common problem.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts