Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, other night was pulling a Tahoe out fo a ditch. Both hubs locked, 4 hi, went to pull and first hard pull after tightening the strap a loud pop came from the front right tire. Tried to unlock the hub but it wouldnt unlock. Had to unlock it with chanelocks. Other side unlocked fine.

Jacled the truck up to check and see what was wrong. When I lock the left hub and spin the wheel the driveshaft turns. This does not happen with the right side, although the hub does lock and unlock regularly now. I know the hub is ok, and the u-joint closest to the wheel is also OK.

So what is left? Is it the axleshaft? The pull really wasnt very hard at all. I didnt think it was enough to break an axle. Or could it be another u-joint in the axle?

BTW, truck will still pull in 4x4...lock just the front left hub and in 4x4 the front left tire will spin.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
How would you know it's ok if you didn't take it apart?

·
Registered
606 Posts
GTRider245 said:
BTW, truck will still pull in 4x4...lock just the front left hub and in 4x4 the front left tire will spin.
:shrug dunno about anyone else but that sure sounds like a hub to me buddy. just cuz the cap locks an unlocks doesnt mean its not F'ed up. And your still getting power to the left wheel. you can see the left axle in plain view if your ujoints are ok then its most likely the hub.

But i have seen weird things happen so take apart the hub an see its the only way.

most likely your hub though;)

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, forgot that part. I took the right hub out, and everything looks ok. NO peices fell out or anything, are there internals to the hub that could have broken? I thought about taking the hub from the left, which I know works, and switching it to the right to see if the right wheel will turn then. BTW, they are Warn premiums, been on the truck about 1 year and a half

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
Isn't there another ujoint cloer to the 3rd member on the TTB drivers side? :shrug Stub shaft or somthin like that. Dunno, just my .02

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
There are 2 u-joints on the right side and you do have to remove the 3rd member to replace the inner joint. If you replace it, it would be a good idea to do a c-clip removal mod

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so saying it is the inner joint, what would be a good list of things to check and/or replace while it is all apart?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Could very well be a stub shaft. When it breaks it can get jammed up so the lockout is hard to turn but then unjam so the lock out works fine. It could also look ok when the lockout is off because it broke at the end of the splines inside the spindle. What I would do is take off the lockout again and try to pull the axle stub out and see if half of it comes out in your hand.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're saying the peice from the outer most u-joint to the spindle right? I tore down both sides to the spindle when I did the brakes last week and nothing seemed oose or anything. I will look and see again. Does anyone know of a writeup on the u-joint replacement?

·
Registered
231 Posts
What about the inner shaft closer to the carrier on the long side? I dunno much about ttb, but I know there is one and it has some sort of "boot" covering it closer to the carrier, either way you'll have to take the whole side apart to check...my.02

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here is a dumb question can't you just jack up front end so both tires are off the ground and lock the hubs and spin one tire the other tire should spin oppasite way if you have open diff?

or am i just gettig tired and can't think straight?

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
GTRider245 said:
You're saying the peice from the outer most u-joint to the spindle right? I tore down both sides to the spindle when I did the brakes last week and nothing seemed oose or anything. I will look and see again. Does anyone know of a writeup on the u-joint replacement?
Was this before or after you broke something?

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AFTER...like I said, I have jacked the truck up, locked both hubs and spun both tires. When this is done on the left it will turn the driveshaft. When this is done on the right it will not turn the driveshaft.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Whar happens when you turn the drive shaft with the hubs locked?

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Havnt tried that, will tomorrow

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well now that you mention it, the loud pop did sound like it came from the very right side of the truck, not over by the u-joint at the differential. Thats why my first thought was a hub.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
hold the wheels in place and try to turn the drive shaft

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, dont know how but problem seems to have reversed itself. I jacked the truck up and put jackstands at all 4 corners. Put it in 4 hi and locked the hubs. All four wheels were spinning. IN nuetral lock both hubs and turn each wheel the driveshaft turns...while it was running in 4 hi there were no abnormal sounds or anything. What could that pop have been?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts