Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
only at low rpm?
does it go away when at constant higher revs? (more oil pressure)

possible stuck lifter?
mine knocked at idle up till about 2000rpm.
It had a sticky lifter.one symptom was an occasional miss from one cylinder( from excessive valve lash). I added a bottle of marvel mystery oil and ran the truck for a few weeks . in my case it cleared everything right up.change oil after as the additives really thin the oil out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried stuff like marvel mystery, didn't work, tried flushing as well as sea foam. It does seem to go away at higher rpms above 2000, but it goes away once the engine is warm. Is there checks you can to once you pop off the cover that can be a way of diagnosing without having to take the intake off? It's coming from the drivers side that is about as far as I have been able to locate the sound.

·
Premium Member
1988 5.0L E/B AOD, bone stock+ 1993 5.8L E/B, E4OD, 4"lift with 33's
1,280 Posts
I had a stuck lifter on my 88. Seafoam cured it within 15mi. I changed the oil right after that and no more problems. You said Seafoam didn't work, maybe you have an exhaust leak at the header. Good luck, Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts
Never heard of the Seafoam route, but I have used Risilone with great success on stuck lifters. Just add a quart at oil change.

·
Premium Member
1988 5.0L E/B AOD, bone stock+ 1993 5.8L E/B, E4OD, 4"lift with 33's
1,280 Posts
Never heard of the Seafoam route, but I have used Risilone with great success on stuck lifters. Just add a quart at oil change.
With the Seafoam, you don't want to leave it in the motor forever. It will remove any carbon buildup under the rings and create problems in power. I used it like I said, 15mi before I had the oil changed out at Grease Monkey...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am not hearing the tick.

Exhaust leak is possible, at manifold/headers and y-pipe connection. As the pipes heat up, the metal expands and seals the gap. Since you are in Oregon, go underneath and look for puffs of smoke while it is cold out. Cold weather is a great way to find exhaust leaks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took another hard look

I'm beginning to second guess myself. I had my cousin look at it as well and he is saying lifter. But after getting it warm I used a stethoscope on the valve covers but wasn't hearing it. I do hear it very at by the exhaust manifold on the passenger side. Its there a good way to confirm this, I don't smell any exhaust fumes? I also as well found a leak in the upper intake nothing extreme.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I first tried seafoam on my bike, when I first got it, it was an 02 Honda CBR f4i had never had an oil change and had some other issues. I used half a bottle of seafoam and it cleared it out as well as the carbon build up.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My 302 does this on startup until it warms up a bit but only at certain RPMs and does not do it under load. It's also far less consistent than what I'm hearing from yours.:shrug

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
With the Seafoam, you don't want to leave it in the motor forever. It will remove any carbon buildup under the rings and create problems in power.
Is this true?? First time I have seen this note about Seafoam.............

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
Keep using the stethoscope, what's your oil pressure like.....? ticking upon start up could be a lifter but over a short period it should get worse, no?

Exhausts leaks can be another source or what about the fan blade ticking on the fan shroud.....?

Keep digging and I'm sure you'll narrow it down...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
Maybe even look at the EGR tube. They are known for getting holes or cracks in the accordion area with the fiberglass boot on it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm beginning to second guess myself. I had my cousin look at it as well and he is saying lifter. But after getting it warm I used a stethoscope on the valve covers but wasn't hearing it. I do hear it very at by the exhaust manifold on the passenger side. Its there a good way to confirm this, I don't smell any exhaust fumes? I also as well found a leak in the upper intake nothing extreme.
if it's a sticky lifter the noise usually goes away when warmed up(mine did). get someone to listen when engine is dead cold and lightly rev up and down from idle a few hundred rpm to try vary the load and noise level. when you tried the marvel m did you run it long.engine needs to be nice and warm .I took mine on a 60 mile round trip at 60 mph to make sure .it did reappear a few times on cold start up(nowhere near as bad). went away after enough warm up cycles.

probably not related but you said upper leak-meaning vacuum leak?.a leak there will suck in air(lean engine out)

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
Check the oil for any "metal shavings", a possible indication of cam, crank or bearings going bad which would change the valve train geometry affecting the lifters..... worse case scenario is you pull off the lower intake and pull the push rods and lifters and check each one BUT remember the exact order rods and lifters come out so they go back in the same order if there's no damage etc.

In my experience I don't see it getting better, had a major melt down around 1200 miles with a brand new 3023 EFI I had built locally and fortunately it was under warranty but maybe a new set of lifters would resolve the problem for now so you don't have to "rebuild" the engine at some point unless the engine has high mileage.....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had just rebuilt my engine new heads new exaust manifold but on the passenger side I had an exaust leak how I found it was put an air hose in the tail pipe shoot air up toward the engine got some soapy water splashed it on the exaust system and found the leak, its cheap and easy to do and that would at least rule out the exaust system :thumbup

·
Registered
229 Posts
Almost forgot you said the idle was going up and down and you had a vacume leak on the upper intake get that fixed and check all your lines to make sure you don't have any other leaks :rockon

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
I have still had no such luck to locate the noise and the best way I can describe it is posting videos. I recently changed the oil and went thicker adding oil stabilizer but it didn't seem to do any good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9KOwlzjscY&list=UUaKMoOuzclpPmDrR5wWzxMw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E_sd_-Lxiw&index=2&list=UUaKMoOuzclpPmDrR5wWzxMw
Have you by any chance pulled the driver side valve cover to see what the condition of the engine was? I'm wondering if maybe you have sludge buildup.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts