Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

louder exhaust?

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  KENNY 
#1 ·
I have a 50 series flowmaster and its too quiet!!:mad:
and I don't want to spend the money for a 40 series flowmaster.
So how can I make my truck louder the cheap way?:shrug

G
#6 ·
Andy351 said:
put an LED tip on it.:goodfinge
:lolup

first off, I WANT to finally be the one and say SEARCH DAMMIT (you dont know how much i get that!)... ive replied to atleast 3 topics in the main forum on this!

THAT WAS FUN! louder exhaust = 40 or 80 series flowmaster, bigger piping, diff. cats (depending on what state your in), headers.... and an l.e.d. tip to close it up... :thumbup

#7 ·
BadassBronco said:
unbolt the manifolds from the head!!!! :twak
:lolup We did that before...it was on my mom's 68 Mustang with 289. We were in the middle of a header back to manifold swap and we needed to move the car.......HOLY F'N SH1T! Loud doesn't describe it. Not to mention it natually sounds like shiz.

80 series flowmaster
Only they're crossflow mufflers...made for F-body GMs. My friend has one on his Firebird and it's not loud at all. :shrug

#12 ·
heres what i did. i cut both cats out and trashed the original pipes from the manifolds. i am running stock manifolds and true duals all the way back with a 12" glass pack on each pipe. they turn out each side with a 10"x4" tip. has a mean idle and will wake up the neighbors at arounf 2500 rpms. at around 3500 i should really use hearing protection.:enforce

#14 ·
Get some headers for your truck, not only will they give you some power, but they will make your truck alot louder. At the end of the header, where it connects to the exhaust pipe, it is just bolted together with this 3 ring system. Ring on the header side, ring on the muffler side, and a paper or copper gasket ring in the middle. Now the headers will make it plenty loud, but when one of those collector gaskets is vaporized, it gets real loud.

SO:

Step 1: Buy Headers
Step 2: Install Headers
Step 3: Use cheap Mr. Gasket collector gaskets
Step 4: Dont change them when they blow 2 weeks later
Step 5: See your doctor about your hearing loss

#15 ·
Mys et up is the shorty headers, blown gaskets, gutted cat, 3" tube, magnaflow, and almsot no tail pipe lol. its plenty loud. my dog can hear it when I pull into the apartment complex driveway so he comes runnin out to meet me.

G
#16 ·
hey brad, how did you go about hollowin that cat out? i was thinkin of that, but i know of someone that did it, and it rattles and sounds like crap :twak

also, does anyone know of the stock diameter of the exhaust pipe? 2 and a quarter?

#17 ·
take the cat off, get a peice of rebar or a good peice of steel tubing and start ramming in thru till you ahve everything out. there are ceramic plates in there and thats what you need to get out.

That rattling is cause by a chunk of the plate that is still in the cat,but is too big to get out thru the outlet. jsut make sure you have all of it out.

#19 ·
My cats were welded, but thats not a biggy. go to autozone or checker, get some exhaust clamps. jsut cut about 3-4" away form the cats. and use the clamps to put em back on, or if you know anyone that welds have them weld it back together for ya. I lucked out and have my own welder so I did it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.