Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
I guess we should get back on topic...馃槒
So 6L tune up involves wider spark gaps and 2* more on the timing to 12*?

I already have the Ford 9mm wires.

Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 313K miles
It is a full, as defined in the past, tune-up. Plugs (this gets complicated but simply speaking use Copper core plugs I recommend NGK V-Power as a cheap alternative, use your own preference), Wires (larger diameter to reduce cross-fire and internal break down), Cap and Rotor (with Brass terminals and reduced gap between contacts and better material as in phenolic). With a High output Coil bumping the Gap to .050-.055" and timing +(2-3) degs to just below where the engine "Pings". Having colder air to the engine reduces the chance of pinging also and helps in slight/possible power output (theoretically). This whole topic can get very touchy so follow the 6-Liter Tune-up as closely as you prefer!!!! These suggestions are "MY" opinions/thoughts/ideas, use as you may!

Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)

Welp, just to add to what Stevo said... My understanding is yes. Advance 2 degrees and regap plugs. I have the NGK copper cores in already, and with the HEI distributor @BigBlue 94 said regapping to 50 should be perfect. He didn't recommend going any more than 50... I'm sure there's arguments across the board in what gap is better depending on what distributor you have (and a few other variables like Steveo mentioned) but without even having changed the gap yet she's running so much better. Smoother without near as much vibration, has better pick up, no lagging especially when cold or going up hills at low rmp like she had before...I couldn't be happier... I'm sure it'll only get better once I get the plugs done. But if you've been thinking about doing it, I would absolutely 100%...

Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 313K miles
Hey I gapped my NGK V-Power (Copper Core) plugs at 0.060" and have 41K miles on them and it still runs just fine. That is with the Factory 317K mile Distributor and an Accel Yellow replacement Coil and Brass terminal Cap and Rotor with Accel spiral wound wires and still at 10 deg's timing, getting 14-15mpgs on the Highway at 77mph avg down from 15-16 mpg's when newly installed. Time to change the plugs, cap and rotor, just been procrastinating.

Driving Stuff Henry Built
*90xlt,351w,e4od,1356m*79,400,C6,205,19donors*73,400,np435,d20j twin

Here's the old write-up. Lots of reading as some of the parts recommended have changed over the years.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Here's the old write-up. Lots of reading as some of the parts recommended have changed over the years.
Holy cow..113 pages 馃槷

Registered
Planning a tune up on the '89 when I can get around to it, maybe i'll try this....
"yutes" hadn't heard that in quite awhile, that was another good one...

Reactions: BroncMom

Moderator and Scrounger Extraordinaire
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Welp, just to add to what Stevo said... My understanding is yes. Advance 2 degrees and regap plugs. I have the NGK copper cores in already, and with the HEI distributor @BigBlue 94 said regapping to 50 should be perfect. He didn't recommend going any more than 50... I'm sure there's arguments across the board in what gap is better depending on what distributor you have (and a few other variables like Steveo mentioned) but without even having changed the gap yet she's running so much better. Smoother without near as much vibration, has better pick up, no lagging especially when cold or going up hills at low rmp like she had before...I couldn't be happier... I'm sure it'll only get better once I get the plugs done. But if you've been thinking about doing it, I would absolutely 100%...
Plugs wear about .0005" per 1000 miles, as a rough average. So after 10k miles, those .045" plug gaps are now at about .050".

When i acquired my old econoline, it had about 125k miles on it. Plugs had never been changed. All six plugs were gapped at .080"-.105". Fresh plugs and wires bumped my 0-60 from 18 seconds to 14 seconds.

Registered
@BigBlue 94 said:
Plugs wear about .0005" per 1000 miles, as a rough average. So after 10k miles, those .045" plug gaps are now at about .050".

When i acquired my old econoline, it had about 125k miles on it. Plugs had never been changed. All six plugs were gapped at .080"-.105". Fresh plugs and wires bumped my 0-60 from 18 seconds to 14 seconds.
That being said my 41K+ mile plugs that were gapped at 0.060" should be at 0.080"ish by now! so my 0-60 times should only drop by 2 seconds or less then!!!!:unsure:;):ROFLMAO:(y)

I'll circle back with the gap after I get around to changing them for comparison!!!:whistle:

Moderator and Scrounger Extraordinaire
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
@BigBlue 94 said:

That being said my 41K+ mile plugs that were gapped at 0.060" should be at 0.080"ish by now! so my 0-60 times should only drop by 2 seconds or less then!!!!:unsure:;):ROFLMAO:(y)

I'll circle back with the gap after I get around to changing them for comparison!!!:whistle:
Vroom vroom!! Lol

David Vizard has a whole section on plugs in his carb tuning novel. Pretty interesting read, especially about grinding the ground strap down to a shorter radiused shape. Plugs can have a huge affect on power and drivability. Of course the more you fiddle with them, the shorter they last.

Im a big fan of NGK plugs, especially the v-power. I run them in all my small engines. And, im a fan of the E3 plugs, in coil on plug applications. New coils and E3s in my DOHC 4.6 bumped me from 20 to 22 mpgs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

It's sounding like my regap should just be a replace with almost 6900 on them... Then again it'll probably take me about 2 years to put another 3k on her... But, plugs are cheap...

Registered
Vroom vroom!! Lol

David Vizard has a whole section on plugs in his carb tuning novel. Pretty interesting read, especially about grinding the ground strap down to a shorter radiused shape. Plugs can have a huge affect on power and drivability. Of course the more you fiddle with them, the shorter they last.

Im a big fan of NGK plugs, especially the v-power. I run them in all my small engines. And, im a fan of the E3 plugs, in coil on plug applications. New coils and E3s in my DOHC 4.6 bumped me from 20 to 22 mpgs.
I follow all of DV's stuff and he is spot on on all he says. I have been setting up my plugs similar to what you mentioned above and I have seen his Spark plug/Wires/Ignition video. I am going to try his stolen spark plug modification soon. Instead of grinding/cutting the ground electrode back to the middle of the center electrode, I reshape/re-bend the ground electrode to the same position over the center electrode since running my 86 GN since 1986. I have never tried the E-3's yet but will sooner or later.

Registered
Well I finally changed out my NGK V-Power plugs with 42,413 miles on them, they were gapped at 0.058" when new and now they range from 0.062"-0.067". They all look pretty good as you can see below. The time before that I changed them with 46,644 miles on them and they were gapped at 0.060" when I put them in and they also looked fine and the engine was still running smooth. This time I gapped them at 0.055" NGK V-Power UR5/2771.

Left side picture left side/driver's side Bronco, same front to back as in pic, ditto for right side/passenger side.
White Light Coil Auto part Technology

I also realized that my Power brake booster is leaking vacuum so I have to replace that also now. Don't know how long that has been goin on. That might be why my MPG's have been 1+ mpg lower lately then usual.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
also realized that my Power brake booster is leaking vacuum so I have to replace that also now. Don't know how long that has been goin on. That might be why my MPG's have been 1+ mpg lower lately then usual.
How'd you figure that out?

Registered
@Stevo440 is it just the lighting or is one bank running different? Looks like lighting.

Maybe your vac leak is causing you to get better mpg. The unintended and improvised lean-burn mode 馃槀

Registered
@Stevo440 is it just the lighting or is one bank running different? Looks like lighting.

Maybe your vac leak is causing you to get better mpg. The unintended and improvised lean-burn mode 馃槀
I was wondering if someone was gunna pick up on that!!! It was the angle of the lighting from my incandescent light bulbs in my dining room chandelier.

On the second sentence about my MPG's I would think the O2 sensor would add extra fuel to off-set the vacuum leak, we shall see what happens after I change it out.

Registered
How'd you figure that out?
Well prior to changing out my plugs I heard a noise when stepping on the brakes so to checkout my suspicions I removed the Power brake vacuum line/hose from the intake manifold and sucked on the end and no vacuum was ever created so it might sound weird but it is a $0 test. There is another way to test it but I haven't gotten around to it yet a bit more involved but still $0.

Registered
Well I neglected to state the condition I had checked the Vacuum Brake booster and I had not started up the Bronco in a few days so when I went out and did a different test on the Brake booster it passed that test and when I checked it after having started the Bronco it had vacuum being held for a few minutes so I was wrong about my assumption of it being bad. That in it's own saved me $106 this weekend. Oh and while changing the plugs I forgot to mention that I also tightened all the header flange bolts and oh how quiet she is now, no more ticky, ticky ticks, Ahhhhh!!!

Registered
Always nice when you find out nothing is really wrong! What kind of millage are you getting? Maybe the drop is from winter gas.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts