Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1979 bronco
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello thanks in advance for any help. I just bought a 79 with 1ton axles. I don't know what the donor vehicle was. My problem is my brake pedal is super low. I bled them and adjusted the rear drums, when I pinch the front brake hoses off I get a good pedal. It has a new master cyl. I think the master cyl. isn't moving enough fluid for the front calipers? so I'm not sure of my options... different calipers? different master cyl.? that being said I have no clue what ones I would need. I think this is a pretty common upgrade, but im having trouble finding information.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sounds like you have air in the system or there's a leak somewhere, double check that all the bolts on on tight on the calipers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1979 bronco
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll bleed them again. Should there be any issues using the Dana 60 brakes with the stock master cyl?

·
Registered
1979 bronco
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't put it in so I just bench bled it and adjusted the pushrod today

·
Registered
1979 bronco
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pedal is still low I'm going to start over I have to be missing something

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
YomJustlucky,
Welcome!
As canuckistan97 advised, benchbleed MC.
□■□
Ford 1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual via Ziggy⚠⚠⚠ @
1979 Ford Bronco Wiring Manual pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
It shows Electrical component location, operation, troubleshooting, with wiring and vacuum diagrams.

1979 Ford Bronco Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics

1979 Bronco Brochure @ http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Ford/Bronco/Ford_US Bronco_1979.pdf

1979 Ford Bronco vs. Blazer Article by Ford via Indybronco @ 1978 Ford Bronco Bronco vs. Blazer (79) pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes hours to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 or later installed.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tiltwheel Diagram, Tire Rack
Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort.

See Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as 1978-'79 Bronco Tech that requires 30 posts to view or post) or 1978-'79 Bronco Tech, Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view), etc.

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Signature with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.

Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

View attachment 154202

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

View attachment 154203

View attachment 154204

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search and more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

➡ Try to find time to participate in and Vote in our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!

Al

·
Registered
1979 bronco
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so to update. I bench bled the master. I bled the entire brake system for the 3rd time. I adjusted the rear drums and inspected the front calipers for binding. I checked all the hoses for ballooning and checked for leaks. No problems found. I have a good pedal with the truck off but with it running and the booster working it goes to the floor. Any other ideas? I’m out

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,172 Posts
My pedal was very soft at times, almost going to the floor. I finally, after bleeding several times and not getting any better, just replaced the master cylinder with a new one. Haven't had an issue since. Maybe that, or a seal in booster is shot, though I'm not well versed on the interior schematics of a brake booster.
EDIT: A quick search of brake boosters says that if the diaphragm inside fails, you should still have manual brakes, just harder to push the pedal obviously. So, I would swap out the master cylinder. The piston seals probably have leak by.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
943 Posts
Do you have any “free play” in the petal? If you pull the master off the booster, the rod coming out of the booster should be threaded and adjustable. You can try unthreatening it a bit, see if that helps

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Registered
1979 bronco
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK so I was doing some research on master cylinders and I think I want to do a F350 swap. I think it"ll work well with the dana 60 brakes being bigger than the stock brakes. my question is which booster/master do I get? it seems like there were a few options. i'll buy a new one, I think they come together as a set

·
Registered
733 Posts
Do you have any “free play” in the petal? If you pull the master off the booster, the rod coming out of the booster should be threaded and adjustable. You can try unthreatening it a bit, see if that helps
For a gen 2? Replaced my MC the other day and that rod didn't thread that I could notice, could freely pull it in and out of the booster

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
943 Posts
For a gen 2? Replaced my MC the other day and that rod didn't thread that I could notice, could freely pull it in and out of the booster

I believe so, but now you’ve got me second guessing myself since it’s been 5 or so years since I’ve messed with a master on a 78-79. I don’t see why it would be too terribly different in function than an 80-96. It should be movable in and out, but the tip that contacts with the piston in the master should be threaded. It’s not immediately obvious, the tip is rounded, but it should be threaded if you look in there. You probably need to hold the rod when you spin the tip or it will just turn the whole thing

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Registered
733 Posts
I believe so, but now you’ve got me second guessing myself since it’s been 5 or so years since I’ve messed with a master on a 78-79. I don’t see why it would be too terribly different in function than an 80-96. It should be movable in and out, but the tip that contacts with the piston in the master should be threaded. It’s not immediately obvious, the tip is rounded, but it should be threaded if you look in there. You probably need to hold the rod when you spin the tip or it will just turn the whole thing
You're right, I never noticed it. Going to lengthen it a bit

·
Registered
733 Posts
Ended up threading it out like 3-5mm and it made a world of a difference, the pedal is now firm and doesn't travel to the ground. Guess those repro MC's aren't up to the exact spec and the pushrod needs to be lengthened to engage properly

·
Registered
78 BRONCO RANGER XLT -351M-C6-NP203 TO 205 SWAP -9IN 3.50 REAR
46 Posts
Ended up threading it out like 3-5mm and it made a world of a difference, the pedal is now firm and doesn't travel to the ground. Guess those repro MC's aren't up to the exact spec and the pushrod needs to be lengthened to engage properly

Now if I remove my MC and try to adjust my Booster like you did---- if its possible on mine?? -Is there a way of removing the MC so you don't have to bench bleed it when putting it back on???

·
Registered
733 Posts
Now if I remove my MC and try to adjust my Booster like you did---- if its possible on mine?? -Is there a way of removing the MC so you don't have to bench bleed it when putting it back on???
Yes I didnt bench bleed it after it doesnt lose pressure just make sure not to kink the hardlines

·
Registered
78 BRONCO RANGER XLT -351M-C6-NP203 TO 205 SWAP -9IN 3.50 REAR
46 Posts
Yes I didnt bench bleed it after it doesnt lose pressure just make sure not to kink the hardlines

Do you have to plug up the 2 ports I guess so fluid doesn't come out and air in???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts