Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 1988 Bronco Custom for 2 years now. One day early last year I was playing the drums along to a song on the radio at a red light on my break pedal (basically pumping the breaks). When the light turned green i hit the gas to begin moving and all the sudden the weirdest thing started happening! My Bronco began to putt, buck, and misfire like an old wind up ford from looney toon cartoons! Then is seemed like everything bad all happened at once! My brakes failed the next day! Come to find my rear axle was full of mud and water, my breather tube had fallen off the clamp on my frame and was dragging and i didnt notice this while mudding and what not. So i had my rear axle apart, drained the mud and refilled with fluid and replaced the breaks and bearings and all that jazz. Also had to put a new gas tank, rebuild my tranny because the governor had broken off and broke some other gears and stuff (it wouldnt leave the first gear when driving). So after fixing all that bull crap that all happened at once, the truck still misfires! My mechanic said he replaced all my vacuum lines ( i dont know if thats true or not for the ones i cant see) . I re gapped all my spark plugs and re ran all the plug wires properly and made sure there is no cross firing going on... I once had an old head tell me that it could be my ignition coil so i replaced that from MSD to Accel. I also replaced the rotor in the distributor and that chip thats on the distributor. And its only misfiring when its hot, and in low rpm in low gear! any suggestions!?! plus i've run a diagnosis and its not reading any errors! I have no cats so it always says check engine lol PLEASE HELP! I honestly don't know much about engines and how to fix them.. i can do the typical small stuff on my own but i really need help with this! please help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd like to add, after all that work was done, the last thing i did was replace the rotor and the ignition coil to the Accel high performance. It didn't misfire at all for a while then started slowly happening again. Now here a year later i just replaced a broken spark plug and it made it not as bad as it was..... eye yie yie i mean if two mechanics couldnt really honestly put a finger on what is making it misfire what the hell am i going to to!

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Buy a Motorcraft coil.
Find a new mechanic.
Learn how to use punctuation and paragraphs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts