Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the unsuspecting victim -

I got the Bronco for $800 with ~180k on it with an E4OD on it's way out and a motor that was thirsty for coolant, but at least it pumped out cold A/C and it came with an Infiniti Kappa's and a 10" sub.

Yanked the driveline out of my 95' F150 for the motor-

Picked up a Ford rebuilt E4OD from a FSB member-

Installed the motor and trans together and stuck the 95' tach cluster in and now the mileage matches the motor and the trans is just 5k more than it reads.

I plowed snow with this Bronco this year - what an improvement over the F150. Our lame winter only allowed me to get out twice though -

I added air bags for the weight -

Full circle snap rings and Spicer joints for strength-

Aussie locker for some parts break'n traction-

Aux reverse lighting so I don't run into anything-

I picked up a front 3rd of a 78' Bronco for $50 last weekend - it was cut off at the x-member and included everything attached to the frame to the transmission x-member.

I really lucked out as it is a matching 3.50 gear axle with a rare limited slip differential. Other bonus items include a factor sway bar and dual shocks.

I'll snag a picture tonight - :toothless

The plan-

I want to keep this low - I know 4" is about what we have to lift to clear everything, but I'm thinking I can hack quite a bit of the ttb x-member out and just build myself a new one - possibly bend some .125 2" DOM tubing as a replacement x-member between the motor mounts and coil buckets.

I want to use a progressive coil - I've rear that the axle swap gives 2" of lift alone, so a 2" lift coil for a 78' should be what I'm after.

The rear is going to get new leaf packs - possibly a AAL, but I'm not certain I can get 4" of lift out of that. I'm not stacking blocks - I'll probably put an anti-wrap bar on the rear at some point.

The steering will be the stock 78' components and IIRC a F350 drag link will be required.

I want to run T-bird calipers and stock length radius arms with as many factory components as I can.

This isn't a wheeler - my wife drives this and I really love cruising around in it. I've got a 74' Bronco for wheeling duties, but that isn't saying that this Bronco won't ever see any rocks -

Progress will be slow - I'll probably tear the axle apart this summer sometime, my 74' is taking up my attention with the roll cage build and suspension seat install. I'll use this as a build log with parts collection and the steps leading up to the build.

I've got a 351W that will be going in the Bronco as well- it is what is currently in my 74' Bronco. 96' F4TE 351W with 96' GT-40 cylinder heads, Typhoon intakes and a Comp XE264HR cam - should be fun :)

More to come!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I picked up another front axle housing that was blasted and coated for damn near nothing- I might use that housing for the build.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is my parts pile so far-

The housing I got is a little small - neat though, I have another EB D44 housing to build... I think I can fill it with 78' parts sans the axle shafts too!

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Flip your rear shackle mount (so the shackle goes down instead of up) and it'll get you about 2" of lift.

combine that with an AAL and you'll be around 3.5

Or if you don't mind doing things redneck do what I did, flip the shackle mount AND move it down on the frame 3 inches lower.. that will get a total of 3.5" lift (2 from the flip and 1.5 from moving it down on the frame) you'll need to brace it up a bit if you do this since only two of the holes will line up for new bolts.

I'm not entirely sure I see why you want to go SAS though since you're not planning on lifting it much.. isn't the primary advantage of SAS the ability to get better articulation at more lift?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sas isn't only for more lift and articulation. On my project I'm staying pretty close to the height I had with ifs but gaining lots of strength, and hopefully stop eating bushings and joints in the front end, as well as I hope to gain some driveability

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flip your rear shackle mount (so the shackle goes down instead of up) and it'll get you about 2" of lift.

combine that with an AAL and you'll be around 3.5

Or if you don't mind doing things redneck do what I did, flip the shackle mount AND move it down on the frame 3 inches lower.. that will get a total of 3.5" lift (2 from the flip and 1.5 from moving it down on the frame) you'll need to brace it up a bit if you do this since only two of the holes will line up for new bolts.

I'm not entirely sure I see why you want to go SAS though since you're not planning on lifting it much.. isn't the primary advantage of SAS the ability to get better articulation at more lift?
Good call on the shackle flip - I like that idea.

I'm going to SAS the truck because it's what I've always wanted to do and I would prefer to put money into this rather than put money into TTB steering components. I like the fact that is will be much tougher and I'll have access to much softer coil springs.

This truck may see some occasional wheeling or tooling around - I've got 7+ trucks and this is what I want to do to this one :toothless

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sooo..... I'll just leave these here.

More to come, plans change and I'm going to try and keep it low, but slow is no longer in the mix. I've had a 06' D60 for awhile, grabbed all of the brackets and steering from my parts truck and recently grabbed a 14' 10.5 with an e-locker with only 77K on it. Plans are 37's as low as I can go, body work starts before the axles go in.... and then the fun part starts.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Under the rubber floor were some surprises... pass side is mostly good.

Driver side is .... gone.

I ordered all the metal and we hopefully get started in two weeks.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
im excited to see how this works out. ive been wanting to run super duty axles but not impact total height as i like being where i am with 37's and a 6" lift.

My other concern with the 05-+ axles is how wide they are. Many trails here in Oregon have an 80" max width.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts