Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy I work with used to have a built Scout and he is swearing by low speed torque converters for crawling down hills. I guess it would allow the motor to start braking sooner. If it is so great I'm just surprised I've never heard of doing this before. I know it will suck for automatic shifting on the street and that I'll probably have to shift it manually if I did this. What do you guys think and does anyone know what ole mother ford made our Broncos stock as far as stall speed? Thanx. NORM

·
Registered
64 Posts
BigNorm said:
A guy I work with used to have a built Scout and he is swearing by low speed torque converters for crawling down hills. I guess it would allow the motor to start braking sooner. If it is so great I'm just surprised I've never heard of doing this before. I know it will suck for automatic shifting on the street and that I'll probably have to shift it manually if I did this. What do you guys think and does anyone know what ole mother ford made our Broncos stock as far as stall speed? Thanx. NORM

I think the stock stall is around 16-1800rpm, the six cylinders have a higher rate. The stall speed will increase the more power the engine makes also, I put a six cylinder converter in my AOD. Using the factory tac (usually about 400rpm off) it stalls around 2200rpm and flashes around 24-2500rpm.
I could see the low speed helping for the downhill thing, but if it's worth it I suppose depends on the amount of that stuff you do. I'm sure you go out wheelin' way more than I do, but I would not be happy with that setup.
Interesting idea though,

Greg

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have no tach but Ive got a 400 with 35s on my 78 and it "use " to spin the tires around turns in the rain..lol until I installed a 2600-2800 stall.Id keep it stock and just change the gears.As for other trucks I believe stock the f350 and Econolines came high the highest stock stall.2100-2500.My 460 should be 450hp or so when finished so maybe Ill sing a different tune then.I drive and want 50/50 use..But Im sure my Girlfriend would disagree.
:chili: :chili:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.