Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new here but own a 89 bronco 302 and currently replacing the ball joints and the lower will not tighten whatsoever just spins
So I’ve tried a jack and it’s not doing much
Tried a pickle fork and a pry bar didn’t work
I don’t own a air gun but will get one if I 100% need to
Does anyone have any tips or tricks
This is my first time doing this

·
Registered
95 Bronco XL 5.0L with E4OD trans and mechanical transfer case. Solo Motorsports stage 2 suspension
2 Posts
There should be a slot on top of the threaded portion of ball joint. Use a flat screwdriver in the slot while turning the nut with box end wrench. Also, take the nut off first if you can and make sure the threads are clean

·
Registered
998 Posts
Procedure on an 80 Bronco is to tighten the lower one first then the upper one. I used a Jack under the knuckle to put some load on the lower one to keep it from spinning.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’m new here but own a 89 bronco 302 and currently replacing the ball joints and the lower will not tighten whatsoever just spins
So I’ve tried a jack and it’s not doing much
Tried a pickle fork and a pry bar didn’t work
I don’t own a air gun but will get one if I 100% need to
Does anyone have any tips or tricks
This is my first time doing this
If worse comes to worse, get some of the high-shear Lock-tite (620 or 680) that is specifically designed for fixing bearings and pulleys to shafts (don't worry, you can still get it out with a press when it wears out). Sometimes that sort of Lock-tite will give just enough "stick" until you can get the nut tightened down and the friction fit takes over. Just don't use too much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you I was actually able to get it with a bottle jack directly under if I greased the bj first
Appreciate the advice though!

·
Super Moderator
26,669 Posts
Yo Big Bertha 89,
Welcome!
Here is the 1989 Ford Bronco EVTM, Emissions (yellowish/red book cover) & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
1989 Service manual - Google Drive
Slow scrolling, so download for faster viewing and to see the table of contents, the search feature, etc.

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

For any Bronco questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search. How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts, How To Upload Images To Posts and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) includes such as, How do I fix my back window?

Please Find time to participate and Vote in our next Full-Size Bronco of the Month Contest (soon to be renamed to, ... of the Quarter Contest) & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.

Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts