Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week while working on my Bronco I found a crack on the lower intake manifold. I was wondering if i need the exact match or if I am able to use a different one? I have a 94 XLT with a 351W.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any fuel injected 351 truck lower will work. Except the GT40 version which if you stumble across one cheap, snag it. Shouldn’t cost much for a used replacement.

Looking at the crack, wonder if the water neck bolt is too long.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,407 Posts
Needs to be a 351, and not mass air

Otherwise, should be fine

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,263 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, since I haven't pulled the lower off my 96 351, but I think that all lowers and uppers are the same. Different EGR and tubing, but the castings appear to be the same between at least 94 and 96. Maybe PVC routing and fittings are different, but castings seem the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any fuel injected 351 truck lower will work. Except the GT40 version which if you stumble across one cheap, snag it. Shouldn’t cost much for a used replacement.

Looking at the crack, wonder if the water neck bolt is too long.
So you think the bolts might be too big for the thermostat housing? According to the previous owner, him and his dad replaced the thermostat prior but they didn't mention anything about replacing bolts

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,988 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,407 Posts
Why not mass air? Intakes are the same on both SD and MAF.
I was thinking the same thing then remembered the MAF lower intake doesn't have the provision for the Air intake temp sensor..
I was merely assuming there was sensor differences, but wasn't actually sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So you think the bolts might be too big for the thermostat housing? According to the previous owner, him and his dad replaced the thermostat prior but they didn't mention anything about replacing bolts
Looking at the crack the only thing that seems to be able to produce stress in that area is the bolt holding the tstat housing on. Like mentioned make sure it’s a crack and not a casting line.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,988 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
12,407 Posts
They didn't put it in the air filter box?
Not speed density, it's in the manifold. Technically all you'd have to do is lengthen the wires I bet.

·
Super Moderator
14,918 Posts
They didn't put it in the air filter box?
on the MAF yes it's in the air filter box..

Not speed density, it's in the manifold. Technically all you'd have to do is lengthen the wires I bet.
now that's an interesting statement..the sensors definitely aren't measuring the same thing..temps in that lower intake are going to be completely different than the air box..

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
on the MAF yes it's in the air filter box..

now that's an interesting statement..the sensors definitely aren't measuring the same thing..temps in that lower intake are going to be completely different than the air box..
The ones in the manifold are ACTs (air charge temperature) in the airbox is IAT (intake air temperature). An ACT reads hotter than a IAT, so while you could theoretically move it the computer will not have an accurate reading.
If you put a speed density intake on a maf truck you can just leave the old ACT in there as a plug, it just won't look pretty.

·
Super Moderator
14,918 Posts
If you put a speed density intake on a maf truck you can just leave the old ACT in there as a plug, it just won't look pretty.
That's exactly what I did when I converted to MAF.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking at the crack the only thing that seems to be able to produce stress in that area is the bolt holding the tstat housing on. Like mentioned make sure it’s a crack and not a casting line.
Okay I will do that. Thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,263 Posts
In case this is still relevant, I was in the junkyard today and found the 5.8 engine from a 96 F150, conveniently missing the upper intake. Part number is E8xxx meaning it has probably been the same lower since EFI started for these engines in 88. Also is a shot of the pipe plug, presumably factory, filling in the spot where that SD temp sensor went. Which I’m glad someone pointed out, as I plan on using an original speed density lower on the MAF 351 I’m working on for the bronco now. I would have been wondering where the plug was to hook to that sensor that I don’t need.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts