Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and could not find this out. I was wondering watt was the lowest gear ratio that can go into the D44 TTB third member?

I thought it was 4.88:1, is that right?

Thanx in advance and sorry if this was asked before :doh0715:

Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
Banned
10,826 Posts
This page shows 5.89, but that's just the first site I checked. There might be a lower set.

Remember that while lower gears give you more torque at the wheels, the pinion is MUCH weaker than a higher ratio (like my 3.07s).

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve83 said:
This page shows 5.89, but that's just the first site I checked. There might be a lower set.

Remember that while lower gears give you more torque at the wheels, the pinion is MUCH weaker than a higher ratio (like my 3.07s).
Thanx Steve, Its not for me, but yeah, I know the lower the gear the smaller the pinion....

This person was told he couldnt use the stock D44 to install 4.88's. I knew you would come to the rescue....:thumbup :toothless

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I know for a fact tha you can install 4.56 gears into the stock D44...Thats watt Bronco9235 had installed in his.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ogeechee 4x4 said:
Blaze has/had 5.13 in 'the beast'...but it didn't do much off-roading after that. Did he ever sell it?
Thanx Jon, I dont think he is goin that low.........But thats good too know.:thumbup

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
AC, read your thread, and am curious...I still got TTB and 8.8, currently 3.55, L/S rear open front, running 35" Maxxis, toying with the idea of going to 4.56 and locker (ARB?) rear and maybe Lockright or Aussie front.....

Do I gather that this MAY not be a good set up....not a DD per se, and casual wheeling, but do wheel hard at some events....

would appreciate your info, and Jon's as sell, as he ran this set up before his SAS....

·
Registered
250 Posts
I keep reading that there is a carrier breakdown like steve83 said.
there is one carrier that supports maybe a 2.72 or so up to like a 3.73. although the lowest # i have heard of is 3.07. Then there is another Case that supports from like 3.92 up to about a 5.89.
you need to know and watch out for this to get the right one.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
GHOSTRIDER said:
would appreciate your info, and Jon's as sell, as he ran this set up before his SAS....
I never even re-geared before my SAS. I was running 3.55's with an open TTB and a mini-spooled 8.8. The 3.55's & 35's aren't terrible (as you know), just go straight to 4-lo when you venture off-road.

I now have a truetrac in the D44 and the mini-spool in the rear, but i still got stuck last night....so i guess it just depends on the terrain and all
:whiteflag

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
WOOD said:
Are you saying you can put a 4:56 on a stock carrier?:popc1:

No you can not put them in a stock carrier I believe the largest you can go with the stock carrier is 373.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
No you can not put them in a stock carrier I believe the largest you can go with the stock carrier is 373.

thats what i thought too as my 4.10 carrier was diff than the 355

·
Registered
162 Posts
Alright, I'll come to Sam's rescue since I gave him the info. This should clear up the confusion of this thread. The problem is terms being used. The term "Case" is confusing, because some think that to be the housing, and others might think it is the carrier. Case should mean carrier, but clarity is needed.

A solid D44 "Housing" will accept any gears made for it. But the "Carrier" has to be the right one. As said above, 3.73 and higher (3.07, etc...) use one Carrier and 3.92 and lower (4.10, etc...) use another carrier. The D44 TTB 3rd member will accept either carrier. The only difference is the position of the mounting surface for the ring gear. Different ratios require different thicknesses of pinion and ring gears. Thus the need for different distances.

Yes, you can put 4.10 gears into the 3rd member that originally had 3.55's, but in order to do so you will have to change the carrier.

Clear as mud? ;)

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Thanx guys, saved me some money, I will do like Jon says and go to 4LO when off road....

·
Registered
162 Posts
WOOD said:
Are you saying you can put a 4:56 on a stock carrier?:popc1:
Yep, if the truck came stock with 4.10's. :goodfinge

Some D44's came stock with 4.10, others stock with 3.55, etc... So both carriers can be considered "stock".

·
Registered
162 Posts
GHOSTRIDER said:
AC, read your thread, and am curious...I still got TTB and 8.8, currently 3.55, L/S rear open front, running 35" Maxxis, toying with the idea of going to 4.56 and locker (ARB?) rear and maybe Lockright or Aussie front.....

Do I gather that this MAY not be a good set up....not a DD per se, and casual wheeling, but do wheel hard at some events....

Ghostrider, with my 35's and 4.10 gears, I am spinning my engine pretty fast to go 60. I have a T18 4 speed manual tranny, so unless you have an overdrive, you would be even lower than me. I wouldn't do that for a vehicle I drove on the highway much. If you have an overdrive, that's different.

Good luck.

T

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TallGuy said:
Alright, I'll come to Sam's rescue since I gave him the info. This should clear up the confusion of this thread.

Yes, you can put 4.10 gears into the 3rd member that originally had 3.55's, but in order to do so you will have to change the carrier.

Clear as mud? ;)
OH KAY, Now I understand.......When Sam was saying the "case", thats watt was throwing me off........

It makes sense now that the carrier is what is different. It mighta been my fault for not understanding him, the first time around....

Thanx all who cleared this up for all of us.....:thumbup

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not your fault, it was just everyone not understanding the other. I just wanted to make sure everyone had it straight. I didn't understand Sam either I don't think, and so in return he didn't understand me.

In otherwords, a big misunderstanding :rofl: :doh0715:

:twotu:

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
TallGuy said:
Ghostrider, with my 35's and 4.10 gears, I am spinning my engine pretty fast to go 60. I have a T18 4 speed manual tranny, so unless you have an overdrive, you would be even lower than me. I wouldn't do that for a vehicle I drove on the highway much. If you have an overdrive, that's different.

Good luck.

T

You have an 81 so you dont have an overdrive. Ghost has the E4OD so his will be bad but not as bad as you. The whole point to me in regearing is to keep your motor and tranny workign as close to stock as possible, thus less wear and tear on the vehicle. When I go with 35s i am going to regear as well, and I am going to go with 456s though and no lockers cause i dont wheel enough with them. but the guy im having install them will probably throw them in there anyways. thats just my opinion on this:beer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts