Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has beaten like a Trailer Park floozie, :box0715: but what are the lowest gears I can stuff in a stock 8.8 rear and D44 TTB front?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
nuker said:
I'm sure this has beaten like a Trailer Park floozie, :box0715: but what are the lowest gears I can stuff in a stock 8.8 rear and D44 TTB front?

In my opinion, 4.88 is pushing the envelope on the 8.8. The D44 will require a carrier swap if it is currently 3.55 (3.50).

·
Registered
517 Posts
i am in the middle of having 4.88s put in my axles. from what i have seen, anything lower than that and the pinion gets uncomfortably small...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got 37's right now and I'm really tired of only using 1-2 gears!! It's only been a week, but those stockers have to go!! I'm looking at either 4.56 or 4.88. Is there much of a cost difference between the two?

·
Registered
468 Posts
nuker said:
I've got 37's right now and I'm really tired of only using 1-2 gears!! It's only been a week, but those stockers have to go!! I'm looking at either 4.56 or 4.88. Is there much of a cost difference between the two?
There really isn't much of a price difference between the two sets(I would go with the 4.88s if you have 37s)..., just check in a lot of 4x4 magazines....thats usually where the deals are.

If you're gonna gear it up, you're gonna need new carriers......it would probley be smart to alteast put a locker of some sort in the rear while you have it torn apart that way you don't have to pull it all back apart down the road. Maybe even the front....depending on how much wheeling you do

·
Registered
517 Posts
4wheelcustoms.com will take care of you. hassle free, fast shipping, and awesome prices. chris is a great guy to deal with. email him for a quote on what you want and he'll get you squared away. i'll never take my business anywhere else, not even a local shop.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got an estimate toady for 4.88's. $1100.00 installed. As much as I hate doing mods that really don't really change the looks, I guess this one is worth it.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Haha you CAN'T have the looks without sacrifices. Gears are ESSENTIAL to having big tires. Gotta pay to play. Is that price with lockers as well? You should at least buy a lunchbox locker for the rear. Either way, you're gonna blow both up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, I run the risk of blowing both out, but for now, I would at least like to use all gears. The truck only see's light off roading and as much as I feel this whole Bronco build is going completely backwards, tires had to come first. If I had my way, we would have done an SAS first, then tires, but for now I have to look towards regearing the stock axles first. This was due to the 35"s literally going flat faster than I could repair them.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Get your lockers and take to the installer while you are at it. Also have them replace the crush sleeve with a solid spacer. I would strongly suggest a reinforced diff cover (girdle) to minimize deflection.

·
Registered
468 Posts
nuker said:
Got an estimate toady for 4.88's. $1100.00 installed. As much as I hate doing mods that really don't really change the looks, I guess this one is worth it.
OUCH!!!!!....I'd hope thats with atleast a lunchbox

Are they getting the parts?? or are you taking the parts to them?? That might make a difference in price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts