Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While conversing with a friend about the road Land Rover has traveled down over the years he pointed out that the new LR3 has a 6-Speed transmission. Is the only reason we don't see more of these in off-roading vehicles because of the closeness of the gears / having to shift more?

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
In a manual? Heck I would be happy with a five speed. But they are few and far between in the last 10 years from Ford. All but killed in the F150 and dead in the real SUVs.

And if your talkin about slushboxes, Ford had enough trouble takin the mighty C6 and makin the E4OD out of it. Even after ten years of that, still had querks with the E4OD update, the 4R100. Not to mention the 5R110 "torqshift" troubles behind the 6.0L's.

To get a six speed slushbox to be proud of, Ford needs to bring back from the dead the team that designed the C6 or go out of house.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve83 said:
LRNA doesn't import diesels or sticks. You'll only find that transmission overseas. The LR3 (Discovery Series 3 overseas) has more problems than you'd believe. They can't even keep the gas in the tank.
Oh ya, I know. I almost bought a Disco 2 about a year ago. Those things feel GREAT to drive, but are worthless when you consider the retarded maintnance issues.

I'm not saying "would you rather wheel with man or auto," but I'm asking if you would rather wheel with a, say, 4-speed or a 6-speed. All the shifting in the 6er would be a pain in the ass...

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
AdamKosecki said:
So you would want to wheel with a 6-speed manual?
the '05-up TJ's come with a 6 speed manual. It's got a great granny low, when combined with the 4.0. *cough* *cough* I mean...as far as Jeeps go :doh0715: :whiteflag

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
:stupid That tranny and the 4.0 almost made a defector (sp) out of me. If a Rubi comes along at a nice price (so I can keep the Bronco) I just might pick it up.

I would rather have a 6spd than a 4spd anyday. Mo'gears equals mo'better.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I love Land Rovers. I would have one if I had the money. Some older Series 1's had 5 speeds, but there were hard to find. My uncle has 2001 and 1997...and we wheel in them a lot. Never been stuck, never had a problem, always taken some hard stuff great, and they are great to ride in. Newer Land Rovers do not have sticks, and yes, the maintenance on them is incredible.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
adrianspeeder said:
To get a six speed slushbox to be proud of, Ford needs to bring back from the dead the team that designed the C6 or go out of house.

Adrianspeeder
Adrian

You don't need to wait for them, just buy a Gear Vendors OD unit and bolt it to your C-6. Basically you get two 1st gears (low and high range), same in 2nd and drive.

Behind a big block street machine they are a scream to ride in. People are blown away by your five upshifts as you disappear from sight.

Ford is trying a 5 speed auto in their Exploder line aren't they ? I know the 5 speed auto behind my friend's new Hemi Ram is pretty impressive (goes like stink), dunno if I'd want to own it once warantee runs out ?

Personally I love the auto for 4X4ing in the bronco. Dunno if I'd want to deal with a clutch while 4wheeling.

Sixlitre

p.s./
As nice as some of the Landrover's are, I wouldn't part with that much cash even if I had the money !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts