Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and found a lot of posts on here about seafoam, but i didn't find any comparing them to lucas. i am about to do a tuneup on my truck, and i heard my buddies talking about lucas, but on here all i have read about is seafoam. from what i gathered, the lucas oil is better than the sea foam for oil, but the seafoam is better for fuel. any advice would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
lucas cause air bubble to form which in turn hurts your motor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
lucas makes my truck idle really really low for a day or two, almost to the point of stalling out, have to keep er rev'd up at stop lights, ill never use it again

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
seafoam is used to clean the engine BEFORE you change your oil. Lucas is an oil. You add seafoam like oil but it's primary use is to get all of the crap out if your engine.
dave

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
the smoke lets you know seafoam is working...
i never noticed a difference with any lucas product...
ace

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
I've used Sea Foam several times just because of this site, there are lots of knowledgeable people here so if the majority show high praise then that should be a good indicator for a product. These guys here are honest.
Sea Foam? what can I say, USE IT ~

I think Lucas is over priced and I think there are other oils to choose from that will do the same job for less money, IMO

Good Luck!

:enforce

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
bronco95tgp said:
lucas makes my truck idle really really low for a day or two, almost to the point of stalling out, have to keep er rev'd up at stop lights, ill never use it again
Thats because it is like adding straight 90w to your motor

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now i am in a pickle about the lucas oil. i bought both seafoam and lucas oil today. im doing my tune up tomorrow, weather permitting. i think i might just use the seafoam for the fuel this time and before i change my oil i'll run the seafoam through engine.

up there it says seafoam makes your truck smoke. is that when you use it for oil or for fuel?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
The smoke show comes when you introduce it directly to the intake manifold through the brake booster vacuum line. Just do a search (by title) on SeaFoam, and take a look at the longest thread you find. Nice pictures in there. Basically, you'll want to do it late in the evening if you have neighbors or live in the city.

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
i used lucas oil stabilizer and it slowed downa rear main leak long enough for me to fix it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i don't remember where i read this, but there is a picture comparison between plain old oil and oil with lucas in it... from what i have seen, you couldn't pay me to put lucas in anything. i think it is a waste of money.

the comparison i saw had a guy with twin gear boxes driven by a motor, kinda like the lucas display on the counter at the auto parts store. there was a clear side to the box so you could see what's going on with the gears turning. the lucas foamed up the oil so bad that it looked milky in color. it didn't climb the gears like in the little hand crank display at the store. maybe someone will know what i'm talking about and post a link.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Id use the WalMart Supertech oil before Id use Lucas... as a matter of fact, I *do* use Supertech. :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Buck up and be a man, wussy…(poppa Titus quote)
Seafoam in the engine, seafoam in the tank….take the locus crap back.
:twak

·
Registered
610 Posts
what are you trying to accomplish by adding lucas? lucas will make the viscosity a bit more, causing the engine to sound quiter (as it chokes on thick oil) but then the balance of additives in the oil is off because of the lucase stuff that was added...causing it to possibly break down even faster or turn to sludge. (check out bobistheoilguy...if that was a real guy i'd have him autograph my oil filter). if you're trying to just get it cleaned out. run some seafoam in the tank, run some in the intake and run some in the oil.

I've also heard a great way to clean out any sludge in the oiling system is to do an oil change with synthetic, and change it out early back to your normal stuff. I guess the synthetic has way more detergents etc in it and really breaks that stuff down. Had a friend with a sticky lifter (you cuold hear it from time to time) did that and it fixed it...this of course was prior to my knowledge of the best $5 ever spent on seafoam...unless you get a really hot stripper who isnt so bright and thinks its a 50...but thats another forum

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
MyFullSize said:
Id use the WalMart Supertech oil before Id use Lucas... as a matter of fact, I *do* use Supertech. :)
Me too. Supertech works for me. I used their filters too. I used to use the Motorcraft filters Wal-Mart sold too but they have changed and are now Fram filters I believe.

·
Registered
288 Posts
For the love of god dont use fram or those damned super tech filters (rebadged fram) they are the biggest peices of crap filters i've ever used. and after having 3 of them break down and having to spend much time cleaning filter element out of oil passages, I will never use one again.

Lucas is a oil thickener, like what STP used to sell, but i havent seen the stp stuff in awhile. or motor honey. same basic stuff. I use that stuff on high mileage engines that im trying to make last longer. my 68 coronet I used it in because it had about 270k miles on the original 318 which had never been opened up.

but that car was worth something even with that mileage, i had a old 77 dodge truck with just about 450k on the original slant 6 (ex government truck and passed down through 3 generations of my family after it was bought in 80?) anyways that thing wasnt worth a crap, so i ran 4 quarts of straight 50 weight and a quart of 85w90 gear lube in it just so SOME oil would stay in it without burning it all.

id switch to a thicker oil before using it on much. go to a 10w40 or even a 15w40 which is what i run in all my older stuff. the diesel oils like rotella have better wear additives.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
mg74se said:
For the love of god dont use fram or those damned super tech filters (rebadged fram) they are the biggest peices of crap filters i've ever used. and after having 3 of them break down and having to spend much time cleaning filter element out of oil passages, I will never use one again.
I don't know where you heard that. Everything I have read says the Supertech oil and filters are good.

It is the Motorcraft filters that Wal-Mart sells that have recently become rebadged Frams

1 - 20 of 23 Posts