Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lug bolts have sheared twice recently. luckily i caught it before my wheel fell off both times. suggestions?

can you buy stronger ones?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sheared? Like, what caused them to give in the first place?..

What were the conditions,....wheeling, changing a tire? You're not torqueing them down with an impact are you? You say they broke twice? 1/2" studs are pretty strong so something is going on. I suppose you could go to 9/16", but you shouldn't need to.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
overtourqing is a major cause of sheared studs
big motors and sticky tires is huge too (but these are broncos so i don't think that's a major concern)
did you shear all 5?
was it a different wheel or the same one both times?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Are you using the correct lubricant on the threads, i.e. anti-seize compound? I've seen people use bearing grease on the wheel studs & lug nuts, and that's caused failures from false torque amounts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shearing...

conditions were:exited the highway and heard the tire wobbling, pulled over and 3 were gone. it was the same wheel as last time time. i didn't use any lubricant, the dealership put the wheels on both times, so i dont know.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
were the studs actually sheared off? or the lugs nuts just missing?...if just missing I would say either some one is loosing them or they are not being installed right...I beat the chit out of my bronco and have yet to break a wheel stud.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
if it's the nuts loosening up, have you recently had your rotors replaced or seperated from the hub
mine did it once after i replaced the rotors, the nuts loosened up on the interstate because the studs pulled in the rest of the way

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

the studs actually sheared. i had all 5 replaced after this happened last time. more i read i'm just thinkin they weren't put on right.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
There must be a goddamn wheel nut fairy going around and loosening our lug nuts! Here's my story:

I lost a stud and nut just this past Friday. The rest of the lug nuts were so loose, I could turn them by hand about three or four times before they touched the wheel. My wheel was held on by the grace of God and nothing else. I spent Saturday evening R&R'ing all of the wheel studs and lugs for that hub & rotor. Amazingly, no damage to the rim!

No idea how the fawk it got loose in the first place. First time this had ever happened to me. :shrug

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
Are you using the correct lubricant on the threads, i.e. anti-seize compound? I've seen people use bearing grease on the wheel studs & lug nuts, and that's caused failures from false torque amounts.
some times anti seize will cause problems as well, trapping crud in it will fubar a thread very fast if applied to liberally :shrug

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you're referring to the "wheel stud" as the actual threaded studs...

sticking out form the rotor assembly, and you say that is what's shearing off, just from going down the highway, then someone (the shop, in your case) is torqueing them dow WAY too tight, to the point of failure. I've had four-wheel trucks for almost twenty years now, stock axle-hub-wheel stud assemblies with big tires, plenty of hard wheelin', and I never, not once, had a wheel stud failure. Most shops install tires/wheels with pneumatic impact drivers, some are careful to adjust them to proper specs, some don't care and just torque the shit out of them. Put it this way, recently, I had to remove my tires to check out the drums. Tires and rims were balanced and rotated by a local tire shop a little while ago. With the tire shop installation, I absolutely could not loosen the nuts with a big lug wrench, using all my body weight, 185 lbs. My 200 plus ft/lb impact struggled to break them loose. Like I said, sometimes they care, sometimes not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts