Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought new rims and tires for my 1990 FSB, any suggestions on GOOD anti theft lug nuts and sizes????

·
Registered
829 Posts
Live somewhere so the first thing that enters your mind when buying something nice isn't 'how do I make sure poor downtrodden youths don't steal it'.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I put these Gorilla's on my wheels.

I think I paid about $35 on Summit or Jegs for a complete set.
I have these too. They are more for looks than security considering one key fits all

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, i live in the country and only goto civilization 4/5 times a year but it is usually south dallas in the hood, so i need some SERIOUS shit LOL

·
Registered
375 Posts
yea, i live in the country and only goto civilization 4/5 times a year but it is usually south dallas in the hood, so i need some SERIOUS shit LOL
Not sure how lug nuts will help then, considering they can take the entire truck with a flat head screw driver or a pocket knife.

Yes 1 gorilla key fits all and one hammer will break off any single keyed lug lock.

Shame we have to worry about this stuff.

·
Registered
796 Posts
McGard...comes as a set of 5.

I would be more concerned with my catalytic converter being stolen.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I wish I knew these neighborhoods that steal catalytic converters. I've had vehicles with plugged cats and it'd save me a lot of work if I could just park it somewhere and when I got back I got a free catalytic converterectomy.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Those lugnuts on top are trash.

I've had one back off three times now. Most recent time I can't find it because it liekly happened on the highway.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The sad truth is there is nothing you can really do, other than keep things well documented/insured in case they do get stolen.

Try not to advertise. Don't put audio, gun/weapon, or hot rod parts stickers anywhere on the truck, that just says "valuables inside" to a thief.

I chuckle when I see guys with the "I'm packin' a .44 or something" type stickers. Never let the enemy know what you have, just combat 101....

·
Registered
375 Posts
Those lugnuts on top are trash.

I've had one back off three times now. Most recent time I can't find it because it liekly happened on the highway.
Wow I have had them on 3 trucks. Most recently a 2013 Chevy running 35x12.5x20 MT's and never had one loosen.

I have never ran them with Metal wheels, only aluminum.... Might make a difference.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've never seen a locking lug nut that couldn't be removed just as easily as any standard lug nut.

Auto parts stores even sell reverse spiral sockets to take off locking lug nuts for those who don't want to ruin a 12 point socket to take them off.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Or maybe a low strength loctite,Something strong enough you can't get off with hand tools but not to strong that a impact can't get it off.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you have to use loctite on the studs to hold the nuts on, you have a problem.

Aluminum wheels are more likely to loosen the nuts due to thermal expansion/contraction, btw.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have that gorilla type for my wheels.

I plan on taking my top off this weekend for the summer. Tells would-be thieves (I hope), that I don't have anything to steal - everything is out in the open.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i was able to buy some locking lugs AS WELL as i placed a small rider on my insurance policy for them ...thanks !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts