Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was wondering how all of the "lunchbox" lockers that drop into the carrier hold up against each other? Is one better than the other? Has anybody used the new "quick loks" that are advertised made by tractech? Thanks.

·
tired of your sh!t
2,880 Posts
the aussie locker has had the best reviews I've read so far.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
irwin said:
watch out wac!!!!!you didn't do your search(YOU WOULDN'T LIKE ANDY WHEN HE'S MAD!!!!!!!!!!!)

STFU noob! :goodfinge

definatly aussie lockers wins. go to the FSB parts for sale/trade forum and look for my WTB: LOCKERS Thread.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
WAC said:
Hey, I was wondering how all of the "lunchbox" lockers that drop into the carrier hold up against each other?
Just don't put one in a rear axle and you'll probably be okay.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Unless you have a 14-bolt or and Eaton... Then it's okay to have a "lunchbox" locker Detroit. :rockon

The Lock-rite in my '90 survived long enough for the whole axle to be transferred to my '83 which now serves as my white-trash motel, so if you are goign to be running small tires then they are OK, unless you are using a Trac-Lock carrier, in which case you are screwed. :toothless

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I had a lock-right in the front of my Bronco and it lasted 4 years before taking a crap. The 'engaging' teeth rounded off and when under power I would hear a funny noise and get a one-wheel-peel.

I'm now using a mini-spool. After using both, I think the mini-spool is a better way to go, no moving parts to fail, cheaper, and more durable.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
i orderd one of those aussie lockers. if it ever gets here, i'll let ya'll know what i think of it.
i agree with nobs. i read about it a bit before ordering. from what i read, it seems like its built to be a little stronger than some of the other ones out there. that and its only 2 beans.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you guys are saying drop in lockers are too weak for the stock axles and 35s?

About the aussi, on their website www.offroadlockers.com they say they only make em for the front D44 ttb. What do you guys reccommedt to put in the rear?

Yak - How is the streering with the minispool?

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
I wouldn't say that. They're stronger than a Trac-Loc, weaker than a Detroit or ARB. I put a LockRight in a 9" that pushed my 78 around on 35's just fine. Then I put a 460 in it. Then I put 38's on it. I wheeled it hard, raced it often, and got rid of it when I went to 8-lug to get bigger brakes. I sold it to a guy with a 78 running a 429 and 35's. He's still running it. It's been raced, wheeled, driven on the roads for about 4 years now, no problems. It's outlasted a gearset and a couple shafts, and still works fine. The Aussie looks like a similar unit, and will probably work fine if it's put in right.
WAC said:
So you guys are saying drop in lockers are too weak for the stock axles and 35s?

About the aussi, on their website www.offroadlockers.com they say they only make em for the front D44 ttb. What do you guys reccommedt to put in the rear?

Yak - How is the streering with the minispool?

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
WAC--

Under power there is no difference between the mini-spool and the Lock-Right. The only difference I've noticed is driving in 2wd with the hubs turned in. With the Lock-Right turning wasn't any different, the locker disengaged and allowed the inside front tire to turn slower. With the mini-spool this doesn't happen. Personally it doesn't bother me any, I don't engage my hubs until I need them anyway.

Lunchbox lockers are plenty strong for a 33 or 35 inch tire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts