Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was walking a local pyp yard recently and ran across something I have never seen before. I saw this on a late 80's or very early 90's FSB. It appears from my searching that Ford Motorsports offered a Mass Air Conversion harness & related parts for full size trucks, Broncos. The reason this caught my eye as I walked by is I saw the Mass Air Flow housing next to the airbox lid that resembled(exactly the same) a Mustang Mass Air Flow meter. I knew that didn't come out of Ford factory with the MAF meter, so I dug into the Bronco. This Bronco had tubular headers, the Mustang MAF(F1ZF 12B579-?? part #), and a 93 Mustang 5.0 computer(C3W) once I dug in deeper. Were it not for the MAF, I never would've noticed this.

I see there is a conversion adapter with wiring coming from it, between the stock Bronco ECU connector and the computer. How common of a conversion is this? This is the first I've ever seen. Is it worth picking up or is it more of an older way to accomplish improved engine control? Generally when I run across something unique/rare that I've never seen before, I always search it to see what it is....good or bad. From what I see on the Ford Motorsports site, I'd say all pieces to the kit are there. Pic here, but no instructions available any longer, http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=1179

In my online searching it looks like Ford Motorsports has another part #(M-9000-T50) for the same kit...maybe later version?

So what is the deal with this conversion kit? Was it dropped by FMS because it sucked? Is it a good piece to own? Thank you in advance for any and all .02 cents good or bad.

I have a picture of the ECU adapter with Ford part # and labels, but I can't post attachments here.
Label says:
M-12A581-T50
5.0L Truck Mass Air Conversion Adapter
Non H.O.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,076 Posts
I think the t50 was the manual trans harness, I had one which I sold on here. I would say it would be worth grabbing its basically the only plug and play harness that was offered for these trucks. I have the instructions for that kit in my info somewhere as when I sold it I made copies. I bought mine from summit racing a year before it was stopped being made. I think the only reason they stopped making it was that those trucks are getting older and the demand for that harness was just not there, that and maybe they used up all their mustang parts and could not make anymore. Those harnesses were also sort of expensive but not horrible considering what they came with.

·
Super Moderator
26,069 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. Anyone know what this kit sold for when it was available? Thanks for 'learning' me on something I never knew about....learn something every day. I haven't decided if I'll go back to pull this T50 harness out and bring it home.

C, it does seem strange that there were 2 versions, 1 for manual & 1 for auto given that the computer has zero control on the trans. Obviously this kit would not work on a FSB with an E4OD, which many have. The only reason I can surmise is that FMS wanted to be able to provide either a Mustang AT or MT computer with their slightly different programming. There are differences between a MT computer and an AT computer.

I do have a Bronco, but I'm a bit out of place here, since mine is a 69. Some FS Bronco's get me firing on all 8 as well, but the Early Bronco is my thing. I have converted the 69 to EFI with all Mustang components, and a few 351 Lightning parts mixed in.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,076 Posts
There were $650 or 550 If I remember right. I bought the manual version with intentions of running a C6. The AT computer as you mentioned does have different programing then the manual. I ended up getting a stand alone harness from RJM (now out of business) as I thought it would be even easier and I could also then run the engine in another vehicle later if I decided to without too much trouble. Also if you would have used the manual version of that kit with a stand alone controller for the E4OD that would make it work in almost any bronco. Personally I would grab that harness and either keep it for awhile or put it up on ebay. Especially if the yard its at would only want 25 bucks or something like that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled this harness out of the Bronco today, but didn't bring it home. I'm not sure I need another FMS part sitting around for possible future use. I have it put away so I can go back for it if necessary. It was in an 87 Bronco. I was expecting other engine mods on this truck since this kit was installed, but there was very little I could see without a full tear down. It had JBA shorty headers and an adjustable FP regulator. That is about it. No good heads, no roller rockers(looked under 1 valve cover). Everything else internal is unknown without a full tear down.

It was kind of a PITA to pull out....had to pull the upper manifold to get to the injector plugs on the pass. side. That middle upper/lower manifold bolt on the pass. side was kickin my @$$ to get out. I finally shined a flashlight in there and saw it's a T-40 head bolt. Once I rounded up a T-40 bit, the bolt was out and the upper was off. I don't understand why Ford had to bury the bolts on this manifold combo.....they got it right on the Mustang 5.0 and Lightning 5.8. All bolts pass thru and are accessible from the top side.

I read somewhere here that the newer version of this conversion harness also tapped into the O2 harness and emulated 2 separate O2's. This harness that I grabbed today does not tie into the O2 harness. It is only the following.....8 injector plugs & 1 MAF sensor plug. It's really a pretty simple conversion harness. The other thing I noticed is the original injector plugs all had a "spout" plugged into them....probably to complete their circuit?

I took a few more pics but still can't post here. Is there a minimum post count before i can post pics?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,076 Posts
On a stang the o2 harness is different between an auto and manual maybe that is why they had two
Also the way the nss works is different

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Here is a pinout chart that I made with a little more detail for clarification. Note the differences with Electronic Transmission Control including the number of O2 Sensors and required HEGO GND between SD, MAF EEC-IV and MAF EEC-V. I am not familiar with any differences between MT and AT (non-E4OD) other than minor EEC programming.

NOTE: When using a stereo HEGO harness with an EEC that is programmed for only one HEGO, you use the passenger side (right) harness connector as the drivers side connector goes to a dead EEC pin. And many truck EECs use a 4-wire HEGO which uses a dedicated clean EEC HEGO GND. In later year MAF, the ACT is relocated to the Air Box and now called the IAT. You can use a non-E4OD EEC in a E4OD truck using a separate Transmission Controller.

SD to MAF Computer Pin-Out Reference

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
2 words, GRAB IT!

I would have to go digging for part numbers to make sure it was the same exact kit as I bought, but mine was $880 back in 2008(?).

There was a truck version compared to the passenger car/Mustang one.

If I get a chance, I'll look for the invoice. I got mine from a Michigan company, that has since changed their name.

My guess for the discontinuance is lack of significant demand and cost. I was VERY easy to install, which is probably the reason for the cost.

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
Ok, here's the deal.....FROM THE OFFICIAL J. R. NICE RECEIPT BOX
(curiosity got the better of me)

KIT APPLICATIONS:
5.0 TRUCK FIRING ORDER: 1-5-4-2-6-3-7- 8........M/T M-9000-T50
.......................................................................A/T M-9000-T51

H.0./ 5.8 FIRING ORDER:....1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.........M/T M-9000-T52
........................................................................A/T M-9000-T53

I have T51 on my 5.8 that had a C-6

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On a stang the o2 harness is different between an auto and manual maybe that is why they had two
Also the way the nss works is different
You are correct, and if you're keeping it stock Mustang 5.0, they all need to be a matched set. When I had my Mustang 5.0 harness "cleaned up" for use in the 69 Bronco, that whole "problem" of the Pin 30, O2 harness differences was removed from my harness. I can now run either type of computer(AT or MT) and not have to change O2 harness or the Pin 30 connection style(ground or 12V+). It's nice that was eliminated...makes it simpler.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2 words, GRAB IT!

I would have to go digging for part numbers to make sure it was the same exact kit as I bought, but mine was $880 back in 2008(?).

There was a truck version compared to the passenger car/Mustang one.

If I get a chance, I'll look for the invoice. I got mine from a Michigan company, that has since changed their name.

My guess for the discontinuance is lack of significant demand and cost. I was VERY easy to install, which is probably the reason for the cost.
Thanks for the info J.R. Pricey little kit.

The part # on this harness is different vs. the kit #'s listed in your 2nd post. The # on this harness is M-12A581-T50. Is that just a part # for the harness itself or is that perhaps an earlier/older kit than you have? It is put away until I can get back over there. I've bought stuff from the yard without doing the research up front and it's burned me. So my tact now is to put it away(read: stash), come home & research it, then go back for it if it's worth it. The only thing I did not put away was the MAF sensor or the airbox lid with "Y" adapter. The MAF sensor is just a stock Mustang 5.0 unit....I recognized the housing and the part # on the electronics.

I understand this kit would be good for someone who wants to upgrade engine components and not be limited by the stock batch fire, speed density system. Is there a lot of upgrading going on? As you mentioned it's a very simple kit to install....that is once you deal with upper/lower manifold bolts that fought me to get out(specifically the center, pass side bolt) It is just 8 injector plugs and a MAF sensor plug. The adapter on the ECU end goes between the Mustang ECU and the stock truck ECU connector.

Besides the harness, the Mustang ECU, the MAF sensor assy, & the airbox lid, were there other parts to this kit? I might try Ford Motorsports this week to see if they can provide the instruction sheet that came with this kit. Thank you to all that have chimed in.

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
I'd have to look at mine to see if the harness has a different number.
I wouldn't have done the mass air swap except that the idiots that rebuilt my engine installed a MAF cam. I didn't find out until after it was back in the truck and running. I wasn't in the mood to take it all back apart to either change the cam or pull the engine (again). My engine would have been fine with the SD setup.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
mattt, send me a PM and I will send you a .pdf copy of the Ford Motorsport F-Series Mass Air Installation Instructions that covers the M-9000-T50, M-9000-T51, M-9000-T52 & M-9000-T53 kits. The document lists the applications, tools required and parts description as follows:

• Fuel Injector Overlay Harness
  • EEC-IV Processor
  • Air Meter to Y Adapter Hose
  • Y Adapter
  • Intake Gasket
  • Air Cleaner Lid
  • Air Meter
  • Fuel Injector Plugs
  • "Hump" Hose
  • Rubber Plugs

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mattt, send me a PM and I will send you a .pdf copy of the Ford Motorsport F-Series Mass Air Installation Instructions that covers the M-9000-T50, M-9000-T51, M-9000-T52 & M-9000-T53 kits. The document lists the applications, tools required and parts description as follows:

• Fuel Injector Overlay Harness
  • EEC-IV Processor
  • Air Meter to Y Adapter Hose
  • Y Adapter
  • Intake Gasket
  • Air Cleaner Lid
  • Air Meter
  • Fuel Injector Plugs
  • "Hump" Hose
  • Rubber Plugs
Thank you for the offer. I did some web searching and think I have come up with the original kit instructions. The only thing I'm unsure about is if the harness I located is part of this kit or an older version with the differing part #. Are the ones you have the same as these that are on Summit's site?

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrTHRPUC1dU1TIAq41XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzYXRlMWVtBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNgRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1NNRTI4OF8x/RV=2/RE=1415019604/RO=10/RU=http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/fms-m-9000-t51.pdf/RK=0/RS=6vwtjxguv5HvVCvHAkO_uRvBWfg-

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
The FMS Instructions are one of the same. One observation is that this FMS Kit is very different than the PMAS/RJM Injection Technologies MAF Upgrade Harness that many of us have used as there is no reference to required repining. This is not consistent with my re-pin chart above. I have only used the RJM Overlay Harness in conjunction with a new MAF, TFI ICM and EEC.

Not sure what you are referring to regarding Pin #30, which has either a Clutch Pedal Position sensor or a Neutral Safety Switch. Regarding running either type of computer, using a Mustang A9P AT EEC in a manual transmission will cause a hanging idle problem due to different programmed idle characteristics no matter how you rewire compared to the Mustang A9L MT EEC.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The FMS Instructions are one of the same. One observation is that this FMS Kit is very different than the PMAS/RJM Injection Technologies MAF Upgrade Harness that many of us have used as there is no reference to required repining. This is not consistent with my re-pin chart above. I have only used the RJM Overlay Harness in conjunction with a new MAF, TFI ICM and EEC.

Not sure what you are referring to regarding Pin #30, which has either a Clutch Pedal Position sensor or a Neutral Safety Switch. Regarding running either type of computer, using a Mustang A9P AT EEC in a manual transmission will cause a hanging idle problem due to different programmed idle characteristics no matter how you rewire compared to the Mustang A9L MT EEC.
Figured it was time to update this thread. I did pick up the MAF conversion harness and computer. I did not get the Mass Air Meter or airbox lid, but the Mass Air was 100% a stock 89-93 Mustang unit, so that is easy to source.

I also spent some time on the phone with Ford Motorsports inquiring on these kits, and he was kind enough to clear up some additional unknowns. First, Ford only ever sold the -T50 and -T51 version.
The instructions show H.0./ 5.8 FIRING ORDER:..M/T M-9000-T52 & A/T M-9000-T53 kits but, FMS says that version was never put into production. I suspect you could swap some pins around on the adapter and turn it into a -T52 or -T53 fairly easy. The part # M-12A581-T50 is the individual part # for the harness only which was only available as part of the -T50 -T51 kits. FMS also emailed me an original copy of the instruction sheet, thankfully! I probably won't be using this harness any time soon since I converted to Mass Air with a slimmed down Mustang 5.0 harness. I may put the complete kit back together in kit form along with an Edelbrock 5.0 EFI Truck Manifold I have and post them up for sale as an upgrade pair.

Seattle FSB.....you asked what I was referring to in my post above about pin 30. In the Mustang 5.0 harness, pin 30 is the offending circuit that prevents swapping from a MT EEC to an AT EEC without changing the O2 harness. The guy that slimmed down my harness modifies a stock Mustang 5.0 harness by removing certain unneeded wires and making changes to the pin 30 circuit so you can use either version of computer. I hear what you're saying about there being subtle differences between the base programming or MT EEC vs. AT EEC, but I've tried both in my Bronco and the difference is quite negligible in my experience. I've had nearly every catch code of Mustang MA EEC in my Bronco to test. The differences are something that 99% will not notice under normal driving. If I'm testing a few different EEC's back to back at one time, I can hear the engine running a little different with the idle logic differences from EEC to EEC....but again, it's VERY subtle difference. It is kind of a moot point though with my setup....'94 351w short block, GT40 intake, alum. heads, all roller internals, 24# inj, 80mm MAF, coupled to Explorer front serp. With that setup a custom chip in the J3 port was required to run perfect. It ran surprisingly well before the chip, but the chip just cleaned it up and made the driveability & idle quality rock steady.

With the RJM no longer available, I'd like to hear what the differences were between the FMS harness and the RJM harness. I'd look up the RJM harness, but last time I tried his site, it was down as well. Does Ryan still pop in on this forum as I see he used to?

·
Super Moderator
26,069 Posts
yo Matt;
Here is part of the info that I was able to retrieve this morning from;
Fuel Injection Parts RJM Injection Tech (by Ryan M (Fireguy50))

via http://web.archive.org/web/20131107051157/http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/

Some applicable harnesses:
Truck SD to MAF Harness $200.00
Works on any 1985-95 Truck with 5.0L 5.8L and 460 EFI Engines (also works on older CFI Ford cars)
Built in the U.S.A. with Brand New OEM Ford connectors, 260°F GXL wire, and 300°F corrugated wire loom. Wires are printed every 12″ to make it easy to install. Harness includes Sequential Fuel Injector Harness with Mass Air, and Left O2 connectors. This kit gives you the ability to use the Computer and MAF sensor of your choice:
•Single 1989-93 Mustang EEC-4 computer for a C6, AOD, or Manual transmission
•Single 1994-95 Mustang EEC-4 computer for a 4R70W transmission
•1989-93 Mustang EEC-4 computer and Baumann Controler for the E4OD transmission
•Single 1994-95 California Truck EEC-4 computer for the E4OD transmission

The same kit will work for any MAF MAF conversion!

WARNING because of the wide range of vehicles this fits, you MUST do you own research.
Instructions NOT included! NOT intended for beginners.
miesk5 note, see attached pic below

============

5.0L MAF conversion $35.00
etc. @ http://web.archive.org/web/20120820171817/http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/collections/efi-harness

===
5.0L EFI harnesses
http://web.archive.org/web/20120820212346/http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/collections/50l-efi-harnesses

========

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts