Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have finally figured out I need new shift forks for the transmission in my 96 bronco because mine are wearing down and it barely goes into gear on the road anymore, and I don't want to wait until they get too worn and either snap or go over the gear.

Should I order just new forks and try to put them on the top plate assembly I have now or replace the entire top plate with new shifting forks already on it? I replaced the 3 leaky rubber plugs with freeze plugs about a year ago, so I know how to get the top plate off it is not hard at all but I don't want to screw around with taking the shift rails and pins out without knowing what I'm doing first.

- So has anybody replaced their forks before and where is best place to get them? I have found some cast iron ones on ebay as well as a rebuilt top plate with new forks but I wasn't sure if there was a better place to get them or if they make anything else besides cast iron.

Oh yeah and does anybody know if the forks I have now are made of aluminum or cast iron? I have heard multiple things including that the cast iron ones wear down just as much. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
I pulled one out of a junkyard complete with shifter for 30 bucks. Since the top-plate can be removed without dropping the transmission I would suggest this.

I hear the re-build is somewhat expensive, I personally couldn't find parts to do it. Took me about an hour to replace just the top plate including driving time to the junkyard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts