Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Hope I’m in the right place. Not exactly new just lost account info. I have a 1994 FSB with a 5.0 and M5OD tranny. I replaced the TOB, clutch, pressure plate, and slave cylinder.

I bench bled the master/slave. Hooked them up as a whole system. When I pushed on the push rod with all my strength it filled the slave with fluid. Pull the rod back and the fluid returns. No air bubbles. Pushing the pushrod did not contract the slave.

I figured the slave wouldn’t act like that without being under pressure from the tranny and the plate. So I put it all back together.

I had very little return on the clutch pedal when doing so. It wouldn’t even meet the middle at the return spring. So I pushed it hard and the connection between the master line and the slave pops out at the slave. I have to release some fluid at the breather in order to get it back in.

Am I doing something wrong? Should the slave still contract even when disconnected from the transmission? Why is the connection at the slave disconnecting when I push on it with some force?

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs. 94 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/1356/3.50 gears.
414 Posts
Sounds to me like you still have air in the lines. Have you bled the system on the truck? Bench bleeding is not a substitute for a proper bleeding, it just makes it easier to get the initial air purged for some people.

If your line came loose, secure it, bleed the system, and proceed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds to me like you still have air in the lines. Have you bled the system on the truck? Bench bleeding is not a substitute for a proper bleeding, it just makes it easier to get the initial air purged for some people.

If your line came loose, secure it, bleed the system, and proceed.
I bled it when in the truck as well. Have a self bleeding kit. No air.

the line keeps disconnecting yet is secure until it gets a lot of pressure

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs. 94 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/1356/3.50 gears.
414 Posts
What retains the hydraulic line? I'd verify its fully seated, it shouldn't come off regardless of line pressure.

The clutch hydraulics may not return on their own, they generally have no return springs and rely on the pressure plate to return things to their standard position, I wouldn't worry about that as long as the cylinders move freely. With everything installed, the pedal not returning on its own sounds like you have air in the lines or the slave isnt meeting the pressure plate?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What retains the hydraulic line? I'd verify its fully seated, it shouldn't come off regardless of line pressure.

The clutch hydraulics may not return on their own, they generally have no return springs and rely on the pressure plate to return things to their standard position, I wouldn't worry about that as long as the cylinders move freely. With everything installed, the pedal not returning on its own sounds like you have air in the lines or the slave isnt meeting the pressure plate?
It appears to be fully seated. The pic is the setup I have. I haven't installed the transmission all the way either as I can't get it to push the last half inch. It stops where the slave cylinder meets the pressure plate. What you say about the reliance on the pressure plate makes sense, though, which would in turn explain the lack of a return on the pedal I would think. Considering there's no resistance on the slave. Perhaps that's also what's stopping me with the transmission install - if I'm pumping the pedal and the slave is full of fluid it probably won't budge at all. My only concern now is hoping that slave connection doesn't pop off again, but if there's so much fluid and I'm putting pressure on it I guess the path of least resistance is that connector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts