Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK about a year ago I bought a 89 Bronco I6 5 speed, it never transfered into 4x4 but I thought I could live without it till I had the money to fix it. Well the money came the wife wanted a Honda and so she got it. The bummer to the story is that on the way home the tranny to a crap on me. The next weekend I get under the truck, go to remove it, and notice that the tranny has moved over to the left (Driver side) by more than 2 inches! I am like wtf! No wonder the thing wouldn't transfer over to 4x4 and the tranny to a crap! The rear bolts to the tranny have been torn out, I need a new tranny or rebuilt. What is the best option? and will any M5OD-R2 and transfer case work? I don't rock climb but I do do some off roading once an awhile. What would be a better choice than the M5OD-R2 and a stock transfer case? The Engine has 146K on it and was running really strong since I had up graded the fuel system, sensors, and such. I don't want to get rid of it but if I did what would be a decent price tag?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Can you narrow down your question? Damn.

I paid $800 shipped for my rebuilt M5OD from mantrans.com. The slave was about $60 from Advance Auto. I already had a new clutch in it at the time. I can't tell from your post what if anything is wrong with the t-case. The ZF 5 speed is the 3/4 ton tans. Do a search on ZF*. It's more expensive, but it is a simple swap. The stock BW1356 T-case is a good case and there is no easy upgrade. 1/2 ton to 1 ton trucks all had the 1356. You won't get much of anything for an 89 w/ a 300 that doesn't drive, but it's not too much $$ to put in a rebuilt M5OD.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
I agree with Maj. A rebuilt M5OD can be had for undr a grand. Replace the clutch components and transmission mount and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Just thought I should mention. You are not limited to another 300 6 tranny. the 302 has the same bolt pattern. I agree just rebuild it or get another one. I also can't complain about my bw 1356 other than you need to lock tight the shifter bolts. I have to replace mine because I didn't do it in the first place. some my shifter is really loose but that is my only complaint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts