Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a good tranny? I have a oppurtunity to pick one up cheaply. I assume that is what it is cuz it came out of an 88(?) F150. I am told it is a 5spd and by the t-case/tranny spec thread, it looks to be the m5od-r2. So, is it a good wheelin' tranny???
Thanks

shak

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
I wouldnt waste time to swap from an auto to a M5OD. Do a ZF5 and be done with it.

In the Mazda's defense, it is a fine light duty transmission. Usualy works fine in the trucks that came with it. But if you are taking the time and energy to do a swap, might as well do the ZF.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
For me the only thing I like with the M5OD over the ZF 5 speed is the gear ratios.
I've got the M5OD in the F150 now and its been a gear grinding and hard shifting piece of poo for as long as I've owned it. I've had 2 ZF's and both of those have been a decent transmission as far as the shifting goes, but the one I had in the 89 F350 would pop out of first gear every once in a while if it was put in 1st gear after the track made a complete stop. Putting it in 1st while you were at a slow roll and there was never a problem.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My M5OD-R2 shifts great with no rebuild and no fluid changes and it's got 127k on it. :toothless

I'm not kidding.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Good putt around transmission, not good for much more than that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts