Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Ford Bronco XLT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am new to this group and have received a lot of great advise so far. I have a couple questions in regards to wring or harness needed for this swap. I have a 1993 Ford Bronco 5.8L with an E4OD and i have read multiple things when it comes to wiring. Some say get a new computer (ECM) and others say I can wire in the reverse switch into the E4OD wiring harness? If so which wires are needed to to wire it into the E4OD harness? Will wiring in the reverse switch solve the electrical portion of the swap or would I still need a computer from a truck that has the same engine and manual transmission? What is the best option. As for the steering column would It be wise to invest in a steering column from a manual truck or would the automatic one be fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,346 Posts
I cant really help on the wiring, but the automatic column will work, but you wont have the key lock that older manual columns had. And Youll have a hole from the shift arm, but you can buy that cover separately.

Im slowwwwwwwwwly swapping a ZF5 in place of a C6, and will probably leave the auto column in. Already got the pedals in without taking the column out. And being a c6, i dont have the wiring to deal with, since its not electronically controlled like your e4od.

The main issue, ive heard, is the EEC will want to see signals from the e4od, and may not run quite right.

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,249 Posts
I’m also swapping a ZF into an auto bronco. I didn’t want to deal with the wiring of the column either.
I removed the cover, then removed the shifter. I had a manual cover and key release lever, and that just bolted in. While that stuff was off was also a good time to remove the shift indicator and replace with the blank.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,346 Posts
I’m also swapping a ZF into an auto bronco. I didn’t want to deal with the wiring of the column either.
I removed the cover, then removed the shifter. I had a manual cover and key release lever, and that just bolted in. While that stuff was off was also a good time to remove the shift indicator and replace with the blank.
My 2008 F350 is a zf6 and it took me a bit to get used to not having a key release! Once I realized it didnt have one I was surprised. Every manual trans ive ever driven has had one.

·
Super Moderator
4,794 Posts
From what I understand, if you go from an AOD to a manual, you can just splice the reverse wires.
If you go from an E4OD, you have to get a new ECU, since the ECU controls the transmission.
That would need to be confirmed though.

On the column, I left my auto column in. I "intend" to some day find a manual column, but they're getting rarer and rarer in the junk yards. So, I have a hole where the shift arm used to be. It's not a big deal.

·
Registered
1980; 347 stroker; Holley Sniper EFI
182 Posts
Im slowwwwwwwwwly swapping a ZF5 in place of a C6
You should do a write up! I couldn't find a write up on that specific swap. Would be curious, one day I might attempt this

·
Super Moderator
4,794 Posts
Here's one I did:

Reactions: ianmurphy

·
Addicted to Junk
12,346 Posts
You should do a write up! I couldn't find a write up on that specific swap. Would be curious, one day I might attempt this
Hmm I think i may have started a thread, but that was a year ago, before we moved and my shop became a clusterfxxx to find anything in. Its kind of a oddball, being a 96 F350 with a factory c6.

Reactions: ianmurphy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts