Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good general machine shop, within 30 Minutes of Cumberland mall?

I need some metal bent/shaped, some welding and maybe some cutting.
The guy I was using on South Atlanta Road, took forever, overcharged ($40.00 for 5 minutes of welding), and was not smart enough to figure out how to tig a baffle into a valve cover.:doh0715:

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,913 Posts
What's it for? When you say Machine shop, I think Engine work. For Engine stuff we use Bishop in Mabelton. :shrug Again, depending on what you need done, we know a guy that has everything including a lathe in his basement. He lives in my neighborhood and has a 2000 HP blown alcohol drag car he's building sitting in his basement. :toothless

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thats an automotive machine shop, I need a general machine shop/tool works. :thumbup

I need this straitened.

I cant bolt it up because the bow in it makes it hit my transfer case.

Probably take a Hydraulic press, some heat, and some patience.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Gack if you can't find anyone up there then I have a friend pretty close to Atlanta who could probably do it for you.

Let me know.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just an idea! But couldn't you flip it up side down. Drive two cars on top of the mouning flange to hold it down. Then slide a floor jack under it to push up and decrease the bow? If that doesn't work you a can still apply heat to it as you push up (don't melt your tires). The wost that could happen is that you lift the cars up. All you need is two cars and a floor jack...

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
Should of brought it over here for me to weld it in. The got it to hot and warped it didn't they Gack?

The only way I know to fix it is to cut across the 1" square tube bend it straight and weld the cuts back.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yeah scratch that idea.... Pullapart here you come! It might be easier just to start over?

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Yeah scratch that idea.... Pullapart here you come! It might be easier just to start over?
:stupid That's what I was gonna suggest...this time when you weld it (or have it welded) do it an inch at a time and skip around to different locations till they all meet up and everything is welded that needs welding...let the piece cool in between welds also.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pullapart here you come! It might be easier just to start over?
I've been looking for a pree 87 skid plate (wich is what this is) for almost 2yrs.

:stupid That's what I was gonna suggest...this time when you weld it (or have it welded) do it an inch at a time and skip around to different locations till they all meet up and everything is welded that needs welding...let the piece cool in between welds also.
I didn't do this, or have it done. I bought it this way from a member here.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think I will be stopping by the Pull a Part this weekend, just to see if there is anything good in there.

What is different about that crossmember from the rest? Does it have to have an AOD tranny? Is it different on an F150 of the same year. There have actually been a few bronco's and 4X4 F150's in the past few months there.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are my reasons. :toothless

1. It came with one from the factory, someone removed it before I got it, and It bugs me that it is not there.

2. I think it looks better with it than without it. :toothless

3. Anything, (no matter how slight it may be) that ties the frame rails together cant be a bad thing with how flexy my frame is.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Post this up in the Fabrication section. That can easily be built. by the way it looks, the skid plate could be made out of 3/8, weight just as much and probably be stronger. Look nicer too.

If theres no fab shop around, PM me..I could help you out:popc1:

·
Service before Self
134 Posts
There is a incredible machine shop in Cumming.. McIntosh Performance on Performance Way in Cumming off of Hwy 9. He balanced my last crank for me, tig'ed a custom ear for 225 amp alternator to line it up on my serpentine and also did some stellar head work for me (port polish, larger valve seats, big valves, milling, etc.. Also machined my block for my roller cam...

Guys name is Dave McIntosh. I give him a 10 out of 10.. BUT alot of people know about him, so don't expect him to get anything done in 5 minutes.

Sam

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is a incredible machine shop in Cumming.. McIntosh Performance on Performance Way in Cumming off of Hwy 9. He balanced my last crank for me, tig'ed a custom ear for 225 amp alternator to line it up on my serpentine and also did some stellar head work for me (port polish, larger valve seats, big valves, milling, etc.. Also machined my block for my roller cam...

Guys name is Dave McIntosh. I give him a 10 out of 10.. BUT alot of people know about him, so don't expect him to get anything done in 5 minutes.

Sam
Is cumming within 30 minutes of Cumberland Mall?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dunno Gack, mine is out in the shed and it has that same bend to it. Think maybe it is supposed to be there? I tried to straighten it out a few years back with a sledge and some 4X4s. I was talking to my buddy later that day and he said he missed his nap because some knucklehead was banging on something all afternoon. He lived three blocks from me!

·
Registered
350 Posts
have one fabed up.. I just gave away about all the steel needed to do something like that.

... have one made that is actually going to protect it.

Jeep guys make some real nice ones.

kb

1 - 20 of 26 Posts