Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am obviously new to the straight D44 so bare with me.

I have been reading lots of articles to get more acquainted with my new axle (78 D44HD)

We all know that the #1 leading cause to u-joint failure is the caps backing out of the yoke.

I have read Dave Blue's/Mark Harris article on spot welding the cap into the yoke to avoid this, but of course it can be tricky because if you burn out all the grease then your SOL again.

SO, since my yokes on my shafts are a little beefier around where it wraps the u-joint, couldnt they be machined to accept a retaining clip like the ones on our drivelines?

If so what would be the apx. cost for something like that?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
you can do the spot weld and inject more grease in if you are woried about it

as for machining .. I think I have heard of that being done before :thumbup

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
there is only really more beef on th eoutside part of the yoke, no noticible difference i saw on the inside where you8 would be grinding.

i have grinded a set of shafts to take a full C clip.
i dont have a picture of it anymore, but zilla may have since i know he has seen that pic and used it.

becarefull grinding on the long side, as its kinda a rare shaft to find....
of course you could run WARNS on the short side inner, and for outers, and have Moser or another company make you one custom shaft.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
For a quick tack the heat really shouldn't exceed what a quality disc-brake rated grease can handle. I wouldnt' sweat it (hah pun pun).

Errr, uh, oh boy...............

Seriously, it's not like the weld is structural, it's just locating just as a c-clip would do.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.
Keith I know I could have asked you this question, but since your email is down I figured what the hell, I will see what everyone has to say.
Thanks for all the responses though people.:beer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts