Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been answered already, but my eyes are hanging out of my skull from searching the web for a solid answer.

I’ve decided to convert my 89’ 5.8 from SD to MAF. I have a COMPLETE 5.0 upper/lower intake, harness, maf sensor, and A9L computer out in the shop. Came out of a buddies bronco.

I’m no wiring guru by any means.

I’ve been looking at the Fiveology Racing Kits which aren’t cheap, but seem simplistic, even though I won’t be doing the install myself. What I was wondering however, is can I use the harness, maf sensor, and A9L that I already have? Will it run the 5.8? 🤔 Please forgive my ignorance.

Anyone here have experiences with the Fiveology kits?

Thanks in advance!

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,717 Posts
Im sure your aware the 5.0 intake wont work on the 5.8. with that said yes the A9L will run that motor, may need a tune to optimize things but not necessary.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sure your aware the 5.0 intake wont work on the 5.8. with that said yes the A9L will run that motor, may need a tune to optimize things but not necessary.
That’s what I’m wondering. I have 5.8 Eddy Truck Performer w/61mm TB. Looking to save $$$ if possible.

So A9L will run the 5.8 with a tune you’re saying? Will firing order be the same?

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I did the fiveology MAF conversion and was pleased. The instructions are straight forward. Brian will probably send you a WAY1 computer so A9L wont work.

I have the 3881 intake and 61mm TB setup. I also have learned ALOT about even getting started on tuning. The eddy is so close to the firewall that the cover plate cannot be bolted to the upper in the truck. Bolt that runner access plate in place before you sit the upper intake on the lower.

That K&N filter needs to be dry the oil from it can mess up your MAF sensor....ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the fiveology MAF conversion and was pleased. The instructions are straight forward. Brian will probably send you a WAY1 computer so A9L wont work.

I have the 3881 intake and 61mm TB setup. I also have learned ALOT about even getting started on tuning. The eddy is so close to the firewall that the cover plate cannot be bolted to the upper in the truck. Bolt that runner access plate in place before you sit the upper intake on the lower.

That K&N filter needs to be dry the oil from it can mess up your MAF sensor....ask me how I know.
Yes...I’ve had the same experiences with K&N. All my intake is installed for some time now. Was just wanting to convert to maf for other HP upgrades and tunability.

·
Super Moderator
14,531 Posts
the way1 is only really necessary if you're running an E4OD. Since you have a c6, the A9L will run that just fine. The challenge might be sourcing one though..I seem to recall they were getting tough to find.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the way1 is only really necessary if you're running an E4OD. Since you have a c6, the A9L will run that just fine. The challenge might be sourcing one though..I seem to recall they were getting tough to find.
I’ve got one. I also have a built 4R70W.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I found the issue with my code 157 MAF voltage low......Just as an FYI for ya JCG74...The pin connector in my ecm plug was pushed out and not making good contact. When you re-pin your harness, its not that bad to do it but watch the pins. If you get your AHACB strategy from sailorbob it works well with QH. I can send you the bin file I started with and the changes I made.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found the issue with my code 157 MAF voltage low......Just as an FYI for ya JCG74...The pin connector in my ecm plug was pushed out and not making good contact. When you re-pin your harness, its not that bad to do it but watch the pins. If you get your AHACB strategy from sailorbob it works well with QH. I can send you the bin file I started with and the changes I made.
Thanks for the input! I’ll be taking it to the shop when it’s time. Not something I trust myself to try and conquer, nor do I have the time. I am glad the A9L will work however. Save some $ on parts!

·
Super Moderator
14,531 Posts
the good thing about the A9L is that it's well supported in the tuning community.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Yes its definitely got a much broader installed base. I got a WAY1 and then just started using my calculator to see if the numbers I needed made sense.

I'm restricted by my heads but my goal wasnt to make 600hp. The A9L has many ready .bin files that already have MAF curves, injectors and timing, etc more readily available. I missed the fact that you have a C6. With my 4.11 gears I'm kinda liking my overdrive. I turn 2k at 70.

Just lemme know if I can help.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,508 Posts
I am also using an A9L, well kind of its a A3M1. Also C6 trans.
I have a RJMinjection harness but would likely go with the fivology now, since can no longer get the RJM.
Running mine with a SCT 4 bank chip and a custom tuned per my specs. Works great. It did at least run/drive before installing the SCT piggy back chip.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
What are the benefits, if any, converting to the MAF?

·
Super Moderator
14,531 Posts
What are the benefits, if any, converting to the MAF?
the main benefit of the MAF is tunability..If you decide to go with an aftermarket tuner and plan on upgrading things like heads, intake, injectors and so forth you'd want to be able to tune. From a baseline standpoint I feel the MAF is a bit more responsive and efficient than the SD..

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
jermil, tune as in timing retard or advance? At some point in the past (decade) I understood it would allow more

air flow to TB which I understood was a good thing but aftermarket timer...is Greek to me. Thank you for your reply.

·
Super Moderator
14,531 Posts
tune as in adjust, fuel, spark, tranny shift schedule, idle..there is a whole host of things you can do.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Alright, thanks

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts