Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Service before Self
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm converting a customer's truck and just ordered a stage 3 Non-E4OD kit from fiveology and 24lb injectors. After a call from them discussing the project thats the kit we arrived at.

Its going in a 93 F-150 with a 347 stroker out of a Mustang - Aluminum heads, Cam, Headers, Factory truck upper.

My question is has anyone here installed a fiveology kit? How was the install? I requested a A9P computer to have the more agressive timing curve of that computer but they told me they prefer to use the 94-95 computers for the truck conversions as the pin outs are 30% closer to the factory harness. I am wondering how good it will run without any further tuning as I'm working within a budget making a Quarterhorse or a TwEECer out of range price wise.

My '88 is converted. I got the kit back in '93 from Best Products/ProFlo back when they were in business. The kit required a ton of fabrication. Back then no one knew about the conversions and how to do them. At the time I was running forced induction on my truck and had already melted a motor down using speed density... I ran (at their suggestion) 40lb injectors initially. I never got it running right until I went for a chip and dyno tuning run and went down to 24lb injectors.

I'm really hoping I don't run into that problem with this conversion...

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
tweecer now has a new base model with one tune for $225.
http://www.tweecer.com/ChipModules.htm

If you cant go that route, I would do whatever Fiveology tells you.

You are going to have to look at the pin outs carefully since it said its 30% closer, that means some more work will be involved with getting the EEC wired properly.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,976 Posts
I looked at the fiveology kit before I did my MAF conversion and even called to talk to them on the phone. They have good support and their kits include everything you need, so no piecing stuff together. I went with a stock harness from a MAF rig, because I was able to score it pretty cheap, and all I had to do was pull the old harness and install..

Will it run without a Tweecer or Quarterhorse? Probably, but it won't be running to it's full potential. Depending on how aggressive that cam is and the style of heads, I would say that engine would definitely benefit from a tune.

Are you running an adjustable FPR? What about a wideband?

·
Service before Self
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at the fiveology kit before I did my MAF conversion and even called to talk to them on the phone. They have good support and their kits include everything you need, so no piecing stuff together. I went with a stock harness from a MAF rig, because I was able to score it pretty cheap, and all I had to do was pull the old harness and install..

Will it run without a Tweecer or Quarterhorse? Probably, but it won't be running to it's full potential. Depending on how aggressive that cam is and the style of heads, I would say that engine would definitely benefit from a tune.

Are you running an adjustable FPR? What about a wideband?
Yes to the adj FPR, no to the wideband(s). Will they run in place of a regular HEGO? I thought they were only for tuning purposes.

Do you have a good link for Ford Parts? I need to find the lightning Y pipe for the intake and a Mustang Airbox lid. I'm going to call Ford monday but thought you or someone might have a better source...

You solidified what I was thinking as far as the truck running and usable v/s tuned and solid. I'm going to put it together, shake out the bugs and tell the owner to save for that $225 base program twEECer.

·
Service before Self
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fiveology

Well I went with the fiveology kit, as I think I said. I couldn't source a stock intake setup so I went with the K&N Cold Air kit.

I went with the Stage III kit at their suggestion and went up to 24# injectors that I also got from them ($100 for a refurb set)

Install was pretty straight forward with good instructions. I ran into a an issue with my 60 pin connector. Every port that wasn't used on it needed to be drilled which isn't a big deal but after that I encountered some kind of plastic bullet in the unused holes that was extremely difficult to remove. In the process of removing them with a straight punch I wound up breaking the retainer pins that hold the wires into the connector...
Thank goodness I had a spare blank 60 pin connector from back when I did my ProFlo kit conversion back in '93. Hung onto it all these years for a reason. So I had to move all the wires one at a time to a new connector. That was a huge PITA.

Anyway, truck runs good. Had to set timing and adjust my AeroMotive adjustable FPR after install. Now I have to get it up to the muffler shop to have the bung welded in for my second HEGO.

Total Cost: Kit + Injectors $750. Add'l parts from Summit (Adjustable FPR, second HEGO, K&N Cold Air Intake, and it needed a new starter solenoid as well as the upper/lower intake gasket and throttle body gasket. $500

A few pictures...

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,976 Posts
looks good, but without a tuner, you're only going to realize a fraction of that engine's potential. What EEC are you using?

Assuming it is a WAY1 or similar EEC, the fueling and spark tables for the engine that EEC is meant to run are no where near where it needs to be for your 347.

What fuel pressure are you running now? When I did my conversion, I had to bump the pressure up to 55.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I picked up that exact y-pipe for my bronco at the local junk yard for $10!

·
Service before Self
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks good, but without a tuner, you're only going to realize a fraction of that engine's potential. What EEC are you using?

Assuming it is a WAY1 or similar EEC, the fueling and spark tables for the engine that EEC is meant to run are no where near where it needs to be for your 347.

What fuel pressure are you running now? When I did my conversion, I had to bump the pressure up to 55.
Yeah I told the guy I'm building it for its going to need a tuner, wide band o2 and a couple of dyno pulls. We've got a local mustang shop that did my Bronco. They are pretty good. He's saving up for a tuner now...

I'm running 40lbs of fuel pressure right now...

I ran it for the first time yesterday for about 20 minutes. It never registered a temperature. So I checked the upper radiator hose. Ice cold. Shut it down and it wouldn't restart. Checked the radiator. Bone dry. Added water and it poured out the block as fast as I added it. Checked around with a flashlight and found this. Driver's side. The one behind the motor mount..

Thank God its a freeze plug and the block isn't cracked. Started up after it cooled off and it ran ok. No water in oil. Compression test was good and even.. all around 160.. So I gotta pull the driver's side header off and replace that freeze plug now... :banghead

I guess it could be a lot worse...It was a damn cold winter and apparently this thing had water and no antifreeze in it.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,976 Posts
obviously it was that way when he brought it to you..I'd say you, or rather he was pretty lucky..

·
Service before Self
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
obviously it was that way when he brought it to you..I'd say you, or rather he was pretty lucky..
I've had it for a while. Its been sitting waiting on him to save up money for the kit. I've put my own money in customer's stuff before. Had a few of those burn me so I let them prepay custom or expensive stuff like this.

But yeah, its 100% on him. He delivered it with water in the cooling system and no warning... And I'd agree with ya, he's damn lucky!

·
Registered
272 Posts
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/maf-conversion-worth-51503/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotth View Post
When a mass air conversion is performed you are also converting to sequential injection from the drop or batch type of injection. The sequential injection is where your getting the milage increase as well as the crisper throttle response.
So in short besides the ecu, maf, you will need the mass air harness as well as a sequential injection harness which basically add 6 more trigger wires.
Keep in mind if your on a budget and don't plan on any future "big" mods like heads or cam you can keep the truck speed density and convert to sequential injection like the 86-88 mustangs used. This alone will increase milage and throttle response and the used mustang speed density ecm's are fairly cheap.
Just a thought..............................
Sequential injection! Many times not mentioned, but 1/2 the reason for doing a MAF mod. Here's another kit link: Dunne-Rite Performance, Inc.
For about $200, you can get a lot more out of a MAP/bank fired injection engine, w/ an Ignition system upgrade, plug gap stretch & base timing bump. I get 23 mpg @ 65mph out of my 87'302. Otherwise stock except a drop in K&N filter & all fluids are Synthetic. http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...ht=timing+bump

1 - 13 of 13 Posts