Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm converting my 86 5.0 speed density Bronco to MAF using computer/harness from a 91 Towncar. Both vehicles have/had an AOD trans.

My current hang-up is the Speed Control and VSS.

The diagrams for the Bronco show that (if I'm reading this right), the VSS is basically only used for the "Speed Control"/cruise control. Cruise control is handled by the "Speed Control Amplifier", not by the EEC.

Looking at the wiring diagrams for the TC, it looks like there is not a separate "Speed Control Amplifier", but that cruise control is handled by the EEC. So the VSS signal goes to the EEC on the TC, but not the Bronco.

Is the above correct?

Does a MAF computer require VSS for anything other than Speed Control/cruise?

I'm willing to forgo cruise control for now, and leave out the VSS wiring. But if the EEC needs that signal in order to run correctly, I'll dig in and figure it out.

Thanks!

-Mark

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
The lack a the VSS doesn't seam to have any effect on mine since the trans swap, but I don't have cruise control any longer until reconnecting the sensor. Finding the correct wiring harness for my Bronco has been difficult I need to find a 5spd f250/350 4x4. You could add the VSS pretty easy though the adaptor piece just replaces the end of the speedo cable and then all you need is the wiring running forward. Then again as easy as it sounds I still haven't done mine yet.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lack a the VSS doesn't seam to have any effect on mine since the trans swap, but I don't have cruise control any longer until reconnecting the sensor.
Thanks Huggy! That's what I wanted to know. Any "second opinions" out there?

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I'm still probably averaging 12mpg on the highway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts